Print Thread
Hop To
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Sorry for all of the questions but I'm trying to get this one just right so please bear with me.

I'm in the process of putting together a 6BR for informal paper punching and egg shoots. I thought I had a stock picked out but now I'm second guessing it. The stock I had planned on was the McMillan Remington Hunter. It seems to have a lot going for it except the cheek piece. I'm just not a fan of them. I really don't like a Monte Carlo style either but can live with it over a cheek piece for sure. I'm in need of a stock that is going to be 90% a bench gun with maybe an impromptu crow or groundhog. Barrel is going to be very close to a Remington Varmint or maybe a little heavier. I'd like a fairly flat forend, and no cheek piece. I've contemplated going to one of the A-series of stocks, or maybe even the HS PSS stock. What is out there that would work for my criteria?

Input is much appreciated.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ky221, is this what you have in mind for a stock design?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Remington M 700 Varmint .22/250.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GB Renegade from RHR direct and go M5 DBM. 7" RPM 223 SALAMI here,but my BR's(224 and 243),sip happily from 5rd steel versions of same. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Not exactly Ken. Ideally I'd like to have a stock very similar to what was on my old 22PPC Sako. It was perfect.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer GB Terrain ergo's and again as BR's go,pass M5 AICS DBM's. Hint.

Just sayin'...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Not avaliable for my action.

(Kelbly Atlas)

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Crap!

What about the REM-CLONE Varmint or the HTG-M40A1?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
^^^^^
The HTG is a very good fit for what you describe. The M series are bulky to the point that I find them to be difficult to get comfortable with.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
^^^^^
The HTG is a very good fit for what you describe. The M series are bulky to the point that I find them to be difficult to get comfortable with. If you prefer the vertical grip stocks without the bulk you might look at the Game Warden. It has the same forend as the HTG to accommodate your barrel taper with a slimmer grip area than the M series.

Last edited by BangPop; 11/24/22.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Amazingly STUPID Fhuqks never disappoint,by simply doing your best. Hint.

The M40A1 was Gale's first handle and "HTG" is it's Civilian nomenclature,from literally the same mould. Real Deal M40A1 here and it is a "M" series. Hint.

The M40A1's low comb and narrow rounded fore end,are heavy ergonomic concessions. Ryan's Terrain,crushes the M40A1 in all regards,for actually shooting. Again as BR's go,pass the M5 AICS DBM's. Hint.

A couple/few here,with Game Warden furthest away. Hint.

You Google Gals are a fhuqking HOOT! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
For the people suggesting the HTG. I love that stock and what it is, but I am not a fan of the low comb height. It doesn't bother some people, but it gives me fits.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
My first 6mmbr wears a Mcmillan Marksman stock. It is a copy of the early Winchester 70 sniper stock. No cheekpiece, no Monte Carlo, semi-wide front. I think is is all you could ask for. I have two of these stocks and they work very well.
Good Luck,
Rick

K
Ky221 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Rick- I'm envious. I love the marksman stock. It's exactly what I want but guess what? McMillan dropped it from the lineup.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ky221
For the people suggesting the HTG. I love that stock and what it is, but I am not a fan of the low comb height. It doesn't bother some people, but it gives me fits.
They make it with an adjustable comb.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 'Varmint' pattern stock inletted for the Remingtons and clones is an exact duplicate of the Sako Varmint stock.

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The 'Varmint' pattern stock inletted for the Remingtons and clones is an exact duplicate of the Sako Varmint stock.

Bingo. Great stock pattern. Had a couple with 700 VS contours. Needs 23” or less tube, due to short forend. Just my opinion there….

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's the exact stock I'm talking about....the McMillan 'Varmint' pattern. In the past, McMillan cataloged this as the 'Sako Varmint' pattern as it's an exact duplicate of the original Sako Varmint stock. They would then inlet that blank for a Remington, etc. On some actions, that inletting would be a bit of a compromise for asthetics, though. Subsequently, McMillan made another mold that would better suit the non-Sako actions, while retaining all of the physical aspects of the Sako stock. As a McMillan dealer for some years.... suppling stocks to several rifle builders...I learned this from the late Kelly McMillan and Dick Davis (the shop supervisor) directly.

Anyway, this morning I grabbed one of my personal 6BR's with this exact stock for an example. Barrel is a 24" Lilja 3 groove HBR contour (.800 muzzle @ 24"), action is a short 700 extensively reworked by my mentor and good pard, the late Stan Ware (inside bored with a full length bolt sleeve, bolt handle repositioned for maximum camming, leading edges of the lug/abuttment angles increased and some shroud tricks).

With 65 gr. BIB flat bases, the thing shoots almost like a real-deal Benchrest rifle (with a capital B). But what I built it for, is 'dog whacking. With the 55 gr. Nosler BTips @ 3,700, it's just poison on longer range 'dogs....it's like cheatin'. wink

Anyway....enough blah-blah about the gun. Here's the stock, for those interested.

If you order a 'Varmint' pattern stock from McMillan inletted for a 700 or a clone, this is what you'll get. Again, it's a duplicate of the factory Sako Varmint wood stock...slight Monte Carlo, double palm swells, no cheek piece, flat forearm that will accept a large barrel.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For comparison, this is the Kelbly 'Varmint' pattern stock. A bit longer fore end than the McMillan 'Varmint', no palm swells, straight comb with just a very small cheek piece, nice flat bottom on the fore end and comes pre-inletted for up to a LV barrel. This is a 25.5" Remington Sendero profile chambered in 22BR on a Kelbly Atlas single shot.

Kelbly's has stopped making stocks but there are some over runs and extras out there and available. wink

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
712 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 3,068 guests, and 1,415 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.