Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am kind of an accumulator and a bit of a goober. Is it worth lettering two Savage 1895's? They are nice and I reload and shoot them and have no intention in moving them on until I "move along" but I was just wondering whether or not it is worth the effort and fee. Hopefully my son would want to keep them.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I fight the urge of lettering any of my 1899s. They're all standard models and I think I'd be disappointed with the information returned, and the fact I would be out 75$ per letter ( I doubt I'd become a member or whatever). But I still kinda want to letter a couple for some reason.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Maybe Rory or someone else can say for sure. But, I think they do a search with all the same info for a fraction of the price. Cody was at the Baltimore show last year and they were doing searches for $5. So, I got one on my 1902 engraved rifle. It stated all the extra's, but, the one thing I was hoping would be in the letter, was not. So, I won't be getting a letter. The search told me everything I wanted to know.

Years ago I found a 22HP that was listed as having a "No name period Scope". I thought it looked like a Malcolm, so I took a chance and bought it. When I got it and looked in good light it was marked Malcolm. I sent for one of JTC's letters and it turned out the rifle was sold to the, "Malcolm Rifle Telescope Company". So that was worth the letter. If that happened now, I'd do the cheaper search, and if it turned up something exceptional, I'd get the "Letter". If it just turned up the normal info, I'd be happy with the search. They email it to you, so when you print it, it looks like a letter, just not the fancy embossed paper.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
$150 membership gets you info on 5 guns. $250 mbrship gets you 12.

If you do more than one, become a member.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rory, do you know what the Search costs? I'm waiting for the first of the year for a membership so it covers the whole year. I thought when I talked to them about my 1902 they said if you buy a $150 membership on December 15, you only get two weeks of membership, it runs by calendar date, not one year from when you get it.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 11/23/22.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It sounds like this "search" thing is identical to a letter. What's the difference?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The letter is on fancy frameable paper. The search was just an email, that you can print on your own paper. I'll see if I can find mine and post a pic of the search.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's the search as I printed it off my email. Just to show their level of customer service, at the Baltimore show, I inverted a couple numbers so when I didn't get the Email within a week I called and they happily did another search for the correct number. I feel I got my $5 worth.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 11/23/22.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ah, you have to be a member to get the quick searches email.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, the searches are only for members. If you aren't a member, you have to pay the $75 for a letter.

You get a PDF of the results that's basically the same as the factory letter. You just have to print the pdf yourself.

Memberships are for 12 months from when you sign up. Mine, for example, expires at the end of March, 2023.

The $150 membership gets 5 searches. So comes out to $30/search.
The $250 membership gets 10 searches and 2 letters, comes out to about $21/lookup.

Once you're a member, you can buy additional bundles of searches or letters at really fair rates. So if you have 50 rifles to letter, do it all in one year. Save money. Though they are a good org and the membership fees are tax deductible.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for clearing that up. Whoever I talked to said they were from year to year. Wait till January 1st. But I don’t remember if that was Cody, or someone I asked?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
IMO a Factory Letter is worth every penny if it confirms that a gun is right especially when it’s time to sell.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
IMO a Factory Letter is worth every penny if it confirms that a gun is right especially when it’s time to sell.

Yep

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I agree in certain circumstances. But if I have a 1899A in 303 with the correct barrel address, numbers match and 26" barrel I don't see a letter making much of a difference in the sale.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by damnesia

I agree in certain circumstances. But if I have a 1899A in 303 with the correct barrel address, numbers match and 26" barrel I don't see a letter making much of a difference in the sale.

One could be surprised, really have to consider that you know what is correct and the buyer may not.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by damnesia

One could be surprised, really have to consider that you know what is correct and the buyer may not.

Good point.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Condition counts too. My grey engraved rifle, I can see it helping. A grey EG in 300, not so much.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I am correct in saying that the firearms research can be done on any rifles/shotguns/handguns that they have records on, not just Savage.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes. You can do Winchesters, Ithaca, etc.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
744 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,969 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.