Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Sweat...exactly what your problem is..my guess anyway. I fought cold feet for several years in Alaska, finally co workers tired of my sniveling clued me in. Dumped all the heavy insulated gear...ended up with Goodyear Xtra Tuffs, a felt insole, a wool sock, and a light (almost a dress sock) wicking sock. Problem solved to minus 20. If you don't like 100% rubber, the LL Bean uninsulated hunting shoe is even better, same innersole/sock layer. Don't lace them tight...let the moist air circulate up and out. You should shoot for cool dry feet, not warm sweaty.
Why I am using a wicking liner. The felt insole would be a good idea. Otherwise your set up is just like I stated I am using.

No problems if I am working/moving. It's 3-12 hours in a stand.

I almost wonder if 1 size larger boot would help with letting air circulation and socks wouldn't be pressed right up against boot interior.

My experience is Yes...going 1 size larger and I can definitely tell a positive difference. My go to is Muck Chore Boot...Eastern hunting, mostly blind or stand and they are good for me with a liner sock and quality thick wool sock down to 30. Mucks are whole size so they are 1/2 size larger than I wear anyway. Same or similar style boot 1 size larger than the Muck's and I'm good into the teens with same sock combo. The 1 size larger boots I have are LaCrosse that a buddy gave me years ago. The only downside for me is if I have to walk too far with the bigger boots...socks will stat to slip.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bbassi
I swear by these. It was 11 with the windchill this morning when I put them on. Wearing just my Danner Pronghorn with one layer of wool sock. Throw a small hand warmer in each and my feet are the most comfortable part of me right now. I’ll put them on in the tree stand too if it’s cold enough. Yes they can be noisy but you can learn to work with it. Even bunny boots don’t work as well IMHO.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Insulated or non in the Pronghorns?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I get sweaty feets too, and have not been a proponent of a total rubber boot (had to wear the mickey mouse boots in winter training). I bought a pair of Alpha Burley a few years back, wore them Saturday morning , sitting ....single digits to low teens, windy, feets stayed warm! I also started being more disciplined with the anti perspirant and foot powder....phooking A!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who's tried electric socks? I have an electric vest that works very well but haven't tried socks. The vest will run on high for 8 hrs with a 20k mah power pack. If your feet get too warm, you can turn the socks down or off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
I swear by these. It was 11 with the windchill this morning when I put them on. Wearing just my Danner Pronghorn with one layer of wool sock. Throw a small hand warmer in each and my feet are the most comfortable part of me right now. I’ll put them on in the tree stand too if it’s cold enough. Yes they can be noisy but you can learn to work with it. Even bunny boots don’t work as well IMHO.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Insulated or non in the Pronghorns?
400s

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Who's tried electric socks? I have an electric vest that works very well but haven't tried socks. The vest will run on high for 8 hrs with a 20k mah power pack. If your feet get too warm, you can turn the socks down or off.

I bought a paid from Cabelas years ago. The brand is Nordic Gear Sport. They run on 1 D battery for each sock. They are better than advertised IMO and will light a fire under my feet. I had to wear liner socks just to keep my toes from burning. The downside, if there really is one from having warm feet on a truly cold day in the stand, is that the batteries last for a "claimed" 6 hours. They can get expensive to keep going.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Guys, Rifle season tree stand hunter on the Allegheny Front in Western Md, WV. Feet sweat no matter what even tried the prescription for Drisol extreme anti-perspirant.
I have used the Ice Breaker Boot Blankets they actually work but as stated they are big, bulky, noisy and one more item to carry.
WV opener yesterday was 15 degrees, I tried the Gerbing rechargeable insole and actually had to turn them off of high. They seem to last long enough on low that I did not get cold feet at all. Worth a try also open to any other suggestions as my feet are my weakness. I do change socks after my hike in of 1.3 miles.
Doc called it hyper hydrosis. Botox shots were recommended but sorry I passed on needles in the feet!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried every kind of boot, nothing works for me, my feet get chronically cold when sitting, not so much when moving, blood pools in your feet when sitting and chills quickly, at least in my case. The toe warmers as suggested by others are the only thing that works for me and they are easy to use, just stick them to your insoles and you never know they are there. Taking a pack with me to Kansas nest week with my uninsulated hiking boots.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First thing I'd suggest is to ditch the fleece socks and get a good, pair of wool socks. I like the Darn Tough Hunter sock.

My rubber boots gave out a couple years ago and since then I've been using NEOS Overboots. I just wear my uninsulated boots in them and have had no problems with cold feet down to -25º. They are like a more rugged version of the Artic Shield and have a sole so you can walk in them.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
First thing I'd suggest is to ditch the fleece socks and get a good, pair of wool socks. I like the Darn Tough Hunter sock.

My rubber boots gave out a couple years ago and since then I've been using NEOS Overboots. I just wear my uninsulated boots in them and have had no problems with cold feet down to -25º. They are like a more rugged version of the Artic Shield and have a sole so you can walk in them.
Have tried 3 other wool sock brands. Fleece is new this year and best so far.

I am going to ditch the rubbers and probably go uninsulated or 200 gram with liner socks and wool or fleece. New boot will dictate which.

Up 1 size too.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 11/22/22.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My feet rarely get real cold, but I rarely stay in one place more than an hour, 2 hours max. If I start getting cold, I get to movin.'

My go to has been uninsulated boots (Danner, White's, Lowa) with 1 pair of DarnTough or Smartwool socks.

That said, Roger's has a pretty good sale going on LaCrosse boots, so I'm giving the Alphaburly-Pro 800 grams a dance. Just to check 'em out.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/LaCrosse-Alphaburly-Pro-18-Brown-800G

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i quit wearing insulated boots period and only wear rubber boots when I am stand hunting the entire time. I have found non insulated boots, good wool socks and 'boot blankets keep my feet the warmest

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Spray your feet with unscented anti-perspirant spray then use thin/regular weight merino socks in a 7mm Lacrosse Aerohunter Sport boot

Last edited by gdc2; 11/23/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gdc2
Spray your feet with unscented anti-perspirant spray then use thin/regular weight merino socks in a 7mm Lacrosse Aerohunter Sport boot

Will try this

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I hunt at home my hunt is just like yours. Couple hundred yards truck to stand. Sunday it was 12 degrees and blowing NW20 gusting to 28. I too suffered from cold feet for a long time. Some things I have learned. Stop the sweat , I use a product called Carpe on my feet. I start about a week before the season and keep it going till I'm done. Thorlo synthetic socks will wick moisture away from your foot. Those disposable foot warmers mentioned earlier are like god send. I also wear a an older pair of Sorel pack boots with the felt liners and air bob sole. The more distance between your feet and the cold steel of the stand the better. I take the liners out at night and put them on a boot dryer , they are good to go in the morning. Haven't been cold in years since I started doing this. Hope it helps. Cold feet sux.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Everyone talks about boots, but something that few people ever mention is circulation. Being in good shape to start with does help keep you warm because your circulatory system is working well. Then think about where the blood supply for your feet is coming from. Most of us layer our core with layers of polypropylene, wool, down, fleece, nylon... but how much insulation are you layering over the largest muscle group in your body your buttocks and thighs? Keeping that femoral artery area better insulated is going to keep your lower extremity temperature higher. Just like they say that keeping your head and neck warmer where your blood supply is closer to the surface, will help keep the rest of you warmer. My puffy parka pants are just as important as the parka itself, and more so for maintaining warm feet.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
LaCrosse Iceman pac boots have worked for me several years now. Polypropylene sock liner and Merino wool socks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You aren't BSing me are ya??

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
LaCrosse Iceman pac boots have worked for me several years now. Polypropylene sock liner and Merino wool socks.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
You aren't BSing me are ya??

laugh laugh

I used a pair of Dickies wool socks last week. My feet were sweating before I even got to my boots. Yep...cold feet after about 2 hours and it wasn't even that cold out. Maybe 15-20* F.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Look for a product called "Sweat Block" for hands and feet. Total game changer. It takes a week or two to totally stop the sweat but it works! Your feet will actually feel weird because there will be no moisture. This has helped my feet stay warm far more than socks, amount of insulation in the boot, etc.

It comes in a stick, roll on, lotion and wipes. I've used the lotion and got it off Amazon.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 23 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.