Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
OP your question isn’t directed to me as I hunt a straight walled area, switched to 450 bm when started hunting this area, sold it and bought a 350l after shoulder replacement surgery and needed lower recoil. So it has a niche.

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Throughout the latest shortage there was 350L on the shelves here in AZ. Why they would even ship it here is beyond me unless the snowbirds take it home with them.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
I bought a Ruger Ranch in 350L for a few reasons:

1. I wanted a low recoil rifle for newbies/youths to enjoy shooting and be able to deer hunt with if they wanted. (So far my kids only like to fly fish, but they’re still young, and I have a nephew who’s interested)

2. Ammo availability. I love the 30-30 & the 35 REM. But 30-30 ammunition is sometimes available and 35 never is. I think the Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK would have been ok for my purposes, and ammo is available for it, but the gun store didn’t have a 300 when I purchased the 350L. Likewise for the 6.5 Grendal.

3. I might go to Ohio to hunt sometime

4. The cartridge looks cool and I thought it would make a nice woods rifle for 100 yard shots

5. I wanted a Ruger American
Yeah I passed up a nice Remington 141 for a fair price recently because I was unable to find 35 Rem ammo anywhere

Mike,
Daughters boyfriend, mentioned above, picked up a 14 in 35 a few weeks ago at auction. $250-300 if I remmber right. Never drilled.

Used, but not abused.
Perfect in my opinion, love those old guns that show honest use, and
the dings are the little ones you get no matter how hard you try.
You can be certain a gun like that hunted hard.
Didn't ride a SxS to a heated blind in 1955.

Wow! He did well. I was impressed that I found a nice one for $550. But I passed on it when I couldn't locate 35 ammo

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live in PA and see them in just about every gun shop I go into. I have a buddy that bought one for his son, 8 or 9 years old. He gives me empty brass and I return it loaded with a 9mm cast bullet, a pistol primer and some pistol powder just to give him trigger time with his center fire. If I charged him current prices, a box of 20 would be under 3 bucks. I give him a little better deal and charge him nothing. Love seeing the kids shoot!

If I had enough brass to make it worthwhile, I’d setup the Dillon to load these. I already have everything except an extra die block.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
No, I don't powder coat anything. I don't find traditional lubing to be messy, and in 50+ years of casting I've barely scratched the surface in pursuit of "traditional" techniques, and seriously doubt that I'll accomplish all that I wish to in that regard before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Powder coating, while I truly recognize some of its benefits, is a rabbit hole I've avoided lest it hinder my "traditional" pursuits. (But our friend and comrade here on the 'Fire, Dinny, is doing his best to sway me, and he might yet at that! He, by the way, really is an expert on the Maxi. Talking with him on the subject is a true learning experience.)

The powder coating is a little extra time but the end result of a smooth, shiny and non sticky bullet is worth it to me. I’m not a competitive shooter, I just enjoy the experimenting to find the right combination of components for my rifles. I haven’t ever messed with different alloys, just go with straight wheel weights and keep it cheap. I’ve been thinking about it now that I’m loading cast in rifles but I haven’t made any yet. Maybe later in late winter when I’m waiting on the weather to get better.

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Many things take the proper exposure. I had no, zero, interest in a 350. Just something for the AR guys.

I was at the range minding my own business and another shooter show's up. He had a 45-70 and an AR.

After shooting the 45-70 he qets out the AR. His target is at 100 yards and he shoots a group that most shooters in this area dream about.

My interest is on full alert. Yep turned out to be a 350 Legend. He said the upper was a cheep one he picked up just to try.

Ballistics' appear to be about the same as a 35 Rem. I understand that the 35 has killed boat loads of deer.

I am a transplant from Montana so I don't know but I will take the deer hunters in this areas word for it.

I am not an AR guy but lets see I cam do a barrel change on my savage 223 and wind up with a Legend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see the point unless you're in a state requiring straight walled cartridges. I live in Iowa and have been using the .357 Max in a TC Encore with 18" barrel set up as a pistol for over a decade total, mainly during the late season muzzleloader season (yes, Iowa allows this as it is technically pistol, which is legal in the late ML season). My experience with the .357 Max has been one of shooting deer once and either having them drop or following a bloodtrail that looks like it was made with a paint can with a hole in the bottom. I'd imagine the .350 Legend with 180 gr. would do the same. Most of the time I've been shooting 190 gr. cast bullets, but the past two seasons I've used the Speer 180 gr. HotCor at 2050 fps. It's taken four deer for myself and my daughter with great performance. Now that Iowa is permitting bottleneck cartridges from .350"-.500" bore diameter my daughter claimed the Encore and I've purchased a .350 Remington Magnum XP-100 with 16.25" barrel. Load development has been fun with that gun and I'll be using the same Speer bullet at 2400 fps come January.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I was starting a young hunter out I would get him a 350

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
4 different 350 legend ammo variety in stock. AND a 35 remington....no 350 mag unfortunately.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Ammo is everywhere and no recoil

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ran 80 rounds through my AR in 350 Legend yesterday letting my grandson waste ammo, which was mostly cast bullets on top of I4227. He had a blast blasting empty cans and milk jugs full of water. Going to burn another 20 and load another 100 with a different cast bullet to hunt with. The round almost exactly matches the 35 Remington which is a good thing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I had always thought a Remington 788 in 30-30 would be a neat deer rifle. Or a bolt action 35 REM.

I don’t see why anyone would say it’s pointless to have a perfectly adequate 200yard deer rifle with less recoil than a 243. It doesn’t even matter what state your in.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
I had always thought a Remington 788 in 30-30 would be a neat deer rifle. Or a bolt action 35 REM.

I don’t see why anyone would say it’s pointless to have a perfectly adequate 200yard deer rifle with less recoil than a 243. It doesn’t even matter what state your in.
I have a 30-30 which is likely very similar. It definitely has less blast than a 243, but I don’t know that it kicks any less.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still don't understand why they made it .355 and not .357/.358, I'd definitely consider one myself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Living in Ohio I’m limited to the straight walled cartridges, slug guns, muzzleloader or handguns and I have used them all at some point. For the last 5 years I used a Marlin 45-70 with handloads but after getting arthritis, the recoil made it no fun to shoot. My son bought a Savage 350 last year and took a nice doe with it so I thought I’d see what I could find. A smaller shop had Winchester, Savage, CVA and Franchi. They didn’t have Ruger. I went in thinking I’d get a Savage, Winchester or go somewhere else for a Ruger. The guy at the shop recommended either the CVA or Franchi neither of which I knew anything about although I had previously opened a Franchi shotgun.

After some quick googling I ended up buying the Franchi Momentum. MOA guarantee with a card showing the ammo and group, 22” threaded barrel, adjustable trigger, detachable magazine, smooth 60 degree bolt throw, it also includes bases but no rings. When I got it home I cleaned it, mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 in low Warne Maxima rings i had. I checked the trigger pull 2 different gauges and it was 2.5# on both.

I took it to the range Wednesday. I should have bore sighted at home because it was too sunny at the range. After pulling the bolt and lining up the bore and scope I was able to get the first shot on paper at 50 yards with FMJ ammo. It dialed in quickly at 50 yards. I took it out to 100 yards and after some fine tuning it was MOA with Winchester Deer Season XP ammo. I have several different types of ammo but this shot so well I didn’t try anything else yet. I’m going back to the range tomorrow to see how the others do.

There is very little recoil with this gun and I’m excited to see how it does if I get a shot Monday. With the accuracy I got from factory ammo I’m not planning on getting reloading supplies yet.

Sorry for the long post but my point is that the rifle serves a purpose here in Ohio and I’m sure other states that require straight walled cartridges. When you factor in the recoil difference between the 350 and other SW cartridges it’s a nice round so far. Time will tell if it’s effective on deer.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Jason280
I still don't understand why they made it .355 and not .357/.358, I'd definitely consider one myself.

The same reason they didn't make it a straight walled 40, which would have made a better deer cartridge IMO, but that's not what they were "shooting" for.

It's about components, expediency and ease (less steps) of mass manufacturing and not creating another AR bolt face.

They make more 9mm bullets in taper crimp configuration than they do 38's. They make more 9mm ammo than any other handgun cartridge.

It's about using (replacing) the manufacture of other cartridges, otherwise you'd see those other cartridges' ammo on the shelves....many of the guns and other cartridges are going the semi-custom route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
If I was starting a young hunter out I would get him a 350

Now there you go. Screwing everything up.
Wouldn't probably be my choice, but a bolt 350 would be a great
kids gun here.

There is at least one solid reason for a 350 bolt gun in rifle states.
With solid, thought out and defendable, reasons for that choice.

Wanting one is enough.

I honestly believe that.
For others.

But years ago a mentor taught me a lesson about driving a truck.

"Every move you make, have a solid reason for it. If ask, be able to
defend your actions immediately."

That burned into the brain, and carries over into my life.
Boring? Yeah.
But it has saved me a ton of money, kept me out of a lot of trouble.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[quote=gnoahhh] John, didn't I read a caution from you not long ago about forcing jacketed bullets through a smaller diameter die, that said bullets could see their jackets separated from their cores in the process, due to springback of the gilding metal versus the lead cores staying fully compressed? [quote]

I suspect you're thinking about my warning concerning hammer-type bullet pullers. They can indeed loosen the core in jacketed bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I forget that us handloaders are a minority. If I didn’t handload and was limited to a straight wall cartridge or a shotgun slug, the .350 Legend is perfect. And the marketing has gone with it to make it successful. Three criteria for a successful cartridge. It does the intended job. Ammunition and guns are easily available everywhere. And marketing convinces hunters that it kills things deader than dead. The .350 Legend currently has all three. Just like the 6.5 Creedmoor. Just think if the .350 Rem Mag had not been introduced until today and was chambered in a rifle that made the recoil average. It would be the next great short mag if it had the marketing and rifles and ammunition abundance that the .350 Legend does. The Legend was developed to fit two niches by a smart marketing department. They capitalized on the popularity of the AR platform and available accessories and modularity and a number of states requiring cartridge restrictions on deer hunting. Then people discovered that ammo was everywhere, all sorts of rifle configurations are available, and it just plain works at the ranges 95% of deer are shot at - less than 200 yards. I don’t hold any animosity toward the cartridge. It’s simply an example of a good marketing team recognizing a niche they could fill in a very saturated market.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by birddog1
Living in Ohio I’m limited to the straight walled cartridges, slug guns, muzzleloader or handguns and I have used them all at some point. For the last 5 years I used a Marlin 45-70 with handloads but after getting arthritis, the recoil made it no fun to shoot. My son bought a Savage 350 last year and took a nice doe with it so I thought I’d see what I could find. A smaller shop had Winchester, Savage, CVA and Franchi. They didn’t have Ruger. I went in thinking I’d get a Savage, Winchester or go somewhere else for a Ruger. The guy at the shop recommended either the CVA or Franchi neither of which I knew anything about although I had previously opened a Franchi shotgun.

After some quick googling I ended up buying the Franchi Momentum. MOA guarantee with a card showing the ammo and group, 22” threaded barrel, adjustable trigger, detachable magazine, smooth 60 degree bolt throw, it also includes bases but no rings. When I got it home I cleaned it, mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 in low Warne Maxima rings i had. I checked the trigger pull 2 different gauges and it was 2.5# on both.

I took it to the range Wednesday. I should have bore sighted at home because it was too sunny at the range. After pulling the bolt and lining up the bore and scope I was able to get the first shot on paper at 50 yards with FMJ ammo. It dialed in quickly at 50 yards. I took it out to 100 yards and after some fine tuning it was MOA with Winchester Deer Season XP ammo. I have several different types of ammo but this shot so well I didn’t try anything else yet. I’m going back to the range tomorrow to see how the others do.

There is very little recoil with this gun and I’m excited to see how it does if I get a shot Monday. With the accuracy I got from factory ammo I’m not planning on getting reloading supplies yet.

Sorry for the long post but my point is that the rifle serves a purpose here in Ohio and I’m sure other states that require straight walled cartridges. When you factor in the recoil difference between the 350 and other SW cartridges it’s a nice round so far. Time will tell if it’s effective on deer.
Good report on the cartridge and rifle. Thank you.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
238 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.