Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A young woman in NH went for a hike on Sunday and didn't make it home. They found her body yesterday. She'd left home wearing only a light jacket and other clothing and then temps dropped to single digits with 40+ wind and snow. They haven't announced a cause of death yet but it sure sounds like hypothermia. The best I can say is that hopefully others will learn from her mistakes.
DEATH

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah, a tragedy. It could happen to anyone. At least you were able to virtue signal about your own superior judgement.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Read about that, very sad. This day and age who doesn’t flip on the phone and see very accurate weather forecasts?
Wonder what the girl was thinking, and more so her mother who dropped her off early morning at the hiking trail, not weather worried?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't check the the weather forecast, mother nature doesn't suffer fools lightly. RIP and a sad lesson for all.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's too bad. I've never been to the White Mountains but I've read they are notorious for deadly drops in temperatures.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
In this information age, how does one start off doing everything wrong?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Yeah, a tragedy. It could happen to anyone. At least you were able to virtue signal about your own superior judgement.
Hey at least it pulled him away from fact-checking all the memes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It is tragedy. The warnings ate all over. https://imgur.com/a/VvlLq8A

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
From the story:

Sotelo was working toward a goal of hiking New Hampshire's 48 peaks above 4,000 feet before her 20th birthday, according to the Associated Press. She would have turned 20 on Wednesday, the day her body was found.

So, it sounds like she bagged 47 peaks before this one, no doubt without a problem, and underestimated the power of nature. Easy to do if you've done something a couple dozen times with no problems. Article said she got off the trail, also easy to do in snow and high winds.

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the mountains here, miles from the trailhead and much higher in elevation, and passed all manner of trail runners and peak baggers who couldn't survive a cold night with the gear they were carrying.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It could happen to anyone.

If checking the weather before going on a hike in the White Mountains strikes you as something that could "happen" to anyone, I feel sorry for you.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Stickfight
superior judgement.

If checking the weather before going on a hike in the White Mountains strikes you as something that could "happen" to anyone, I feel sorry for you.

Read the excerpt from the story I posted, she may have read the weather report but decided to go anyway, to reach her goal of all 48 peaks by the time she was 20.

Those kinds of goals push people to take a lot of risks.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
superior judgement.

Read the excerpt from the story I posted, she may have read the weather report but decided to go anyway, to reach her goal of all 48 peaks by the time she was 20.

If she read the weather but decided to go anyway wearing what she wore, then she earned a Darwin.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I might head out on a hike, this time of year but I would certainly want to be ready for cold weather, especially in New Hampshire. I have been caught by sudden drops and blowing snow and it's no fun. I feel sorry for this kid. GD

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
superior judgement.

If she read the weather but decided to go anyway wearing what she wore, then she earned a Darwin.

Not necessarily. Weather has been known to change unexpectedly. Maybe not in Idaho?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not necessarily. Weather has been known to change unexpectedly.

Your optimism warms my heart.

But that you are too dumb to look up archived forecasts saddens me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If you’ve ever been in the mountains when the weather changes it can demonstrate just how fast things can go south. I remember one bear hunting trip when I was much younger, 10 feet tall and bullet proof when the weather went from sunny and high 60’s to 40* and sleet. I wasn’t prepared properly and I learned my lesson on that trip. As soon as the weather turned I started back towards the truck and by the time I got to it I was pretty cold and wet. If we’re lucky our mistakes are not fatal but it doesn’t take much to turn a mistake into a fatal error.

My thoughts and prayers for her family and friends. She was far too young to be taken in such a tragic manner.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not necessarily. Weather has been known to change unexpectedly.

Your optimism warms my heart.

But that you are too dumb to look up archived forecasts saddens me.

LOL, if it was important to me to know the forecast I'd look it up. But the only reason for me to do that would be so I could denigrate someone's dead daughter.

On Thanksgiving day no less.

Aces nailed it

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It doesn’t mention if she was on her way back. Could be she was expecting to beat the front. Might explain the early departure.

Maybe she almost did, I would think losing the trail would be typical of the later stages of hypothermia.

Sad deal.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A light down jacket and rain shell weigh ounces and pack up extremely small. Always in my pack no matter the season or forecast. The mountains demand it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She was a Vanderbilt student. Just noticed that

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.