24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello, I have a 4 digit SN Model 70 I’m looking to sell, try anyway. The SN is 983x, which shows in or near 1937 manufacture.

This gun is in great mechanical shape, zero defects, very slight dings at the most. That said, the gun has two likely ‘negatives’ to a collector. The 1st, it was rechambered to the ‘K-Hornet’.

The 2nd is, it has a seemingly soldered or brazed on sight base. That base is neat & clean, forget the name. As I recall it was a German type(claw) base system, could look it up again. Both of those items were done prior to my ownership.

Without those, I see pretty good selling prices. Just asking for opinions. Is a $2200 ballpark unreasonable? I’m just trying to exit a few chamberings. I will say, craftsmanship is superb.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Need pictures to give a decent estimate.
Phil

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How about sending some photos to me and I will try to help as to value.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Bridge d&t?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, pictures here don’t post easily, always say to large. If someone better versed wants to relay, I’ll send to an email address.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here are some photos of sourdough44 rifle:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Marley7x57; 11/15/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks much for the picture help. Yes the 22 Hornet has faded in popularity, though the older Model 70 has not. That rear base comes off easily with screws, the front base is more permanent.

Then you have the ‘K’ chamber. After that, the gun is in great condition.

Like I may of said, I’m easing out of the Hornet round, then the 204. I’ll hang my hat with the 223 & 22-250.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
K Hornet is a good round. Does the rifle have a "K" stamped in front, below or above of "Hornet". Or does it say "Kilbourn" on the barrel in front of "Hornet"?

Also, do you have the rings that fit the claw mount bases?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No, I do not have any rings that fit, likely a little scarce also.

I looked, I think that front base covers up the area that says ‘22 Hornet’ so can’t see if it’s labeled a K or not. I agree, the K seems easier to work with & load for, just not as ‘original’.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For a collector gun, it's toast & case closed! Where you go from there depends on what a particular buyer wants! I couldn't estimate such a market.
My definite take!
Good Luck!
John

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by sourdough44
No, I do not have any rings that fit, likely a little scarce also.

I looked, I think that front base covers up the area that says ‘22 Hornet’ so can’t see if it’s labeled a K or not. I agree, the K seems easier to work with & load for, just not as ‘original’.

I wouldn’t want to have to find the rings that go with those bases.

Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Hardly toast. Not a $2200 rifle by a long ways. The distance between the claw bases is very odd. Most Euro scopes that have claw mounts are set far closer than this. Almost sure it's reblued given the age. If I owned it, I'd get the claw mounts removed, put on Unertl bases and a Unertl small game scope

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada
Hardly toast. Not a $2200 rifle by a long ways. The distance between the claw bases is very odd. Most Euro scopes that have claw mounts are set far closer than this. Almost sure it's reblued given the age. If I owned it, I'd get the claw mounts removed, put on Unertl bases and a Unertl small game scope

Bingo.

Long ago, in a galaxy far away, I hand filed a set of claw mounts from scratch to fit an orphan Mauser after milling them to rough shape. More hours and frustration (and a couple false starts) than I care to remember. I swore "never again." Even new claw mounts require a lot of finessing to make work in old bases, and that's if the general style/system is the same.

Why the heck do people separate scopes like this from their rifles before selling? There's a special place in hell for idiots who separate specialized scopes and loading tools from the parent rifles. I see it done all the time on GB, and fell prey to it myself 10 years ago when I bought my M54 .30-30 and a week later the seller put up the G&H QD sidemount that came off of the rifle, and I was too tapped out to afford it, but dug deep and bought it anyway.

The Unertl bases and 8x Lyman Junior Targetspot scope are a match made in heaven on my 1935 M54 Hornet.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Looks like those mounts were intended for use with a period target scope.

Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
No, those mounts are to use with a Euro scope with claw mounts.

http://www.hallowellco.com/claw_mounts.htm

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

No question those mounts were intended for use with a Euro scope with claw mounts, but for that application aren’t the mounts typically oriented much closer? Judging by the location/distance between the mounts looks like someone rigged the set-up for a longer target scope.

Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If the rear base is easily removed then perhaps a set of Talley bases and rings could be used.
NECG has claw mounts and rings I believe however, getting a long scope to work might be difficult to find.
A reblue would bother me the most but, age of the rifle does not in itself suggest a reblue. Heck it looks like my 4 digit hornet mfg in 1937.
K Hornet chambering does not so bother me too much as many were done and it is a good chambering.
Not collector value there but certainly a useable value and a nice period gun.
And a heck of a lot of fun value.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack

No question those mounts were intended for use with a Euro scope with claw mounts, but for that application aren’t the mounts typically oriented much closer? Judging by the location/distance between the mounts looks like someone rigged the set-up for a longer target scope.

Yeah, typically the mounts are found on receiver ring and receiver bridge, just like "modern" U.S. stuff. My guess is you're right, Ted, that they were meant for something much longer than average. Something like the old Weaver K-10 perhaps, or a European equivalent? I'm not up on what was floating around of that nature back in the 30's-50's. Back then in the U.S. "target scope" exclusively meant Unertl/Fecker/Targetspot/etc., none of which can be accommodated by mounts such as these.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the links above. I’ll look a little, yes I have the rear base. So far I’ve just done light testing with a base I have that matches with the rear base holes.

If nothing else, at the lower price point, it allows me to own the meticulous craftsmanship from the 1930’s.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
135 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.