Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I spent yesterday still hunting and calling in the rain, the kind of day that you end up wet one way or another regardless of wearing rain gear or not. I covered some good ground, working big timber, muskegs, and brush zones. With a storm front coming in I had high hopes for good deer activity. I took Filson the yellow lab with me. He's the perfect deer hunting companion. He's calm, quiet, stays at heel, and likes to lick exit wounds on deer. He also hates bears and will alert if there's one around.

I did not see a single deer all day. Quite strange and disappointing. While working the brushy edge of a muskeg however I snuck up on a pretty big brown bear. When I first saw him he was 30 yards away, digging up skunk cabbage roots.

Several things went through my mind: I've got a bear tag and I want a shoulder mount with a big head. This bear is pretty big, a contender to be a shoulder mount. I'm carrying a 9.3x62 with 286gr Noslers which will totally wreck him. There's enough time to get him skinned out and off the hill before dark so I don't have to navigate my way home through all the logs in the water with the crazy-high tide. I've got a very short time to make a decision here before the dog notices him and loses his mind, at which point the bear will do one of two things very fast: either run away or straight at us. I glance at Filson. Thankfully he's found a very important clump of moss to snuffle with enthusiasm.

Looking the bear over, I like him. He's real dark with a light brown muzzle and the light color extends up between his eyes to the forehead in a stripe. He's big, but not huge. I guess him to be an 8 footer. His head, though distinctive, is not the giant I'm looking for. The ears are are a bit too close together and his muzzle isn't quite blocky enough. I decide to pass.

So now, as bear chews his roots and dog snuffles his moss I have to make a plan. Thirty yards away from an unknowing brown bear is a dangerous place to be. It's basically right in his hip pocket. When he discovers you the response will be fight or flight and it all comes down to his personality and the decision he makes. More stuff goes through my mind: Having gotten so close undetected, there's likely no way that I can sneak out of there without surprising him so the best thing is to get prepared and try to run him off. I take a moment to look around. There's no logs or holes to trip on, I can step left or right with no problem. If he charges he'll have to deal with a slight up-hill which is helpful to me. The dog is still clueless because he's down in a slight depression and has decided to watch our back trail.

I turn the scope down from 2.5 to 1x, plant my feet, and mount the rifle to get a look at him. I must confess thinking that the crosshair looked pretty good perched on the point of his shoulder as he quartered towards me digging more roots. Deciding my prep has made things as good as they can be I gently say "Hey you."

His head snaps up and his eyes widen. He scans his surroundings with a confused look. He definitely heard me but has no idea where I am. He lifts his nose and sniffs the air. This is perhaps naughty, but I find it delightful that I get to see a brown bear as baffled looking as I have often been upon hearing an out-of-place noise in the woods. Delightful! My verbalization has caught Filson's attention. He's looking around. It a normal voice now, I tell the bear "You gotta go". His eyes lock on mine and recoils in surprise. Filson now sees him and gives a growl. I give Filson the command of "What's that!" which basically tells him to actively investigate something. He erupts in barking and posturing, runs forward and stops a few yards in front of me.

The bear comes unglued, turns himself inside out, and flees across the muskeg. Filson keeps barking as he sprints 100 yards, water spraying out from his paws, until he disappears into the brush. Filson circles about, sniffing and huffing, convinced that he just saved my life. Maybe he did, he certainly was helpful anyway.

As we head down the hill and hunt our way out alot of thoughts cross my mind. I walk past yellow cedars that are three feet around at the butt and marvel at God's creation. I replay videos in my mind of killing charging bears and consider how things might have gone with this one and what I could've done better or different. I think about how much I like this dog, and how it kinda sucks that he's got less years to do this stuff with me than he's already had. We make it down to saltwater with no more bears, but no deer either. Twice on the way down I watched my backtrail for 10 minutes. If that bear had followed us down I would've killed and tagged him as I cannot abide that behavior. We broke out of the woods and into the estuary. Filson did some celebratory zoom-circle running and then settled in back at heel and we made our way to the anchorage. It was a good day.
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good story.
Thanks.

Good looking rifle as well. M70? Mauser? Looks like a FW pattern stock.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for taking us along.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Cool, definitely bring enough gun to a bear fight, 6.5 Crudmoor a no go there!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great day in the woods right there. Thank you for sharing.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Quite the enjoyable story. Thanks for letting us in on some of your hunting adventures.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Great story....I think my heart rate increased while reading it!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very good. I enjoyed it.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great lookin dog there

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
You wrote it like I was there with you! Awesome

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Good story.
Thanks.

Good looking rifle as well. M70? Mauser? Looks like a FW pattern stock.

Yep, it's a stainless classic rebored by JES. I had him cut the barrel to 20.5" and put it in a McMillan featherweight, edge fill, and installed a NECG banded front sight. The scope is a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with German #4 reticle in Talleys.

Glad you guys liked it. Things can be different here.

Last edited by pabucktail; 11/24/22. Reason: Add info
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great write up. Thanks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for sharing. Time spent like that with a good dog is precious!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on the close encounter. That would beat killing a deer, IMO, but we don’t have bears here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great story and a nice picture of the good boy that "saved" your life.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Congrats on the close encounter. That would beat killing a deer, IMO, but we don’t have bears here.
Thankfully, bears scare the shat out of me 😁

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good story. Very well told. If you do not write regularly, you should. A collection of short stories like this would be a good read and would be priceless to your family.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gotta second WMR, felt like I was right there. A book with 20 or so stories of your Alaskan experiences would sell well...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (10gaugeman, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.