Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
If the hat makes your ass pucker....the Grandkids bought it for me and because of that I like it more than a little....

GREAAAT trip at the Bird Dog Bunkhouse hunting mostly public land, single or with one of the other people for Wild Pheasants.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 11/21/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Real men can rock the rainbow!

Again we had a great time together my friend.

Your Cockers are very special little dogs. Merlot is always a trooper and Higgee is turning it on.

You are no slouch at 78! I hope we have many years to spend together.

Killing wild roosters with your Parker DHE 28ga and Win Model 12 16ga & 20ga even makes it more special.

Thanks for being a great friend smile

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I figured it may cause some to wonder when posting wearing it here. However, the fact is I never even considered the connection when the Grandkids gave it. Plus I like a little color in clothes. Couple other hunting friends like you saw the pics and got a laugh out of it!!!!

Thanks and as I have told you a couple times....My mistake was to not go out and stay at Bird Dog for many years previous. There is a great group of guys who are regulars; most of whom are serious about their Pheasant hunting. I came in as a stranger and left as a friend.

Thank you, I only hope and pray there are enough good years left to say, "I’m satisfied with it all."

For those who don't know, Bobby is not only an expert Pheasant hunter....it would be foolish to bet against him....but has successfully hunted the world in places most can't imagine. And it would be difficult to know another who is more down to earth, honest and one who has a true hunters heart and drive.

Yes, you are a valued friend....and in my life there are few. Now if I can remember to keep the bottom of the glass off the syrup dish. grin

You want to hunt your Dogs on Wild Pheasants...One on one if you choose, then look up the Bird Dog Bunkhouse. However, don't wait too long. Most who go sign on for next year before they leave.

Last edited by battue; 11/21/22.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a great trip! Congrats. Tough week to be hunting out here.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thin layers with a wind breaker and it wasn't all that bad. And when the sun was on the snow, it made it better. The ice roads and two tracks were more of a concern.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like you had a great time. The pictures really make a person want to go up there, but without a dog it seems like it would be a long cold day. It does look chilly. 🥶

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a good hunt, but really cold.

🦫

PS

Love the hat!

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only in a small South Dakota town motel...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent Harry! I’m glad you had a good time there at Dukxdog’s. Your pic’s of the dogs alone are a treat, and otherwise certainly capture hunting of winter pheasants in the Heartland, although you hit an unusually brisk November for the region.

Our group heads out to central SD in about two and a half weeks. So far the extended forecast looks milder than during your trip. In the past we’ve encountered temps and wind from mild and still, to 20-30 mph and -20* with a foot of snow, to freezing sleet, whereupon semi’s, and even pumps started to hiccup; SxS’s wouldn’t eject. It’s all good. The thing about tough, bitter weather is, it feels so good when you get out of it! 😀

And Harry, you cut a dapper figure there with your outerwear, but I’m certainly relieved to hear you are not a new member of the Rainbow Coalition. 😉

Best,

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
George? Is it you? Where ya been? Lots of pheasants left out there for you, hope its been a good year.

Good enough on the hat, Harry, I bet you needed it. we had quite a lot of ice here. It finally melted on Sunday, our grass was encased in that ice for a week. I saw lots of pheasants standing on top of it when frozen, the ice was thick enough to support that much weight.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
George and BK;

The first day it was cold, the fingers burned...Then the second, the body acclimated some and it wasn't as bad. Worst was around 12F in the morning and up to around the low 20's in the afternoon. Winds from 15 to middle 30MPH. The ice was on everything and perhaps a solid quarter inch thick. You didn't glide thru anything covered with it. You pushed yourself thru. Had one Hen get up that her back was covered with it. She had a hard time getting airborne. Good thing was often you put up Birds in larger bunches from protected areas. Must have been at least 6 times I put around 10, and one time over 30 Birds out of small protected bunches of trees they had spent the night under. And more than a few times with just a couple. Did see one extra cool thing. A Rooster sitting on the very top of a decent pine. Finest Christmas tree decoration I have ever seen.

Two LW top thermo's, a really thin puff and a windbreaker took care of the top mostly. However, the key is this. I had previously noticed Bobby wore Carhart bips and he swore by them for winter hunting. So, I bought a pair with a thin lining. He knew what he was talking about. I wore them with no long johns underneath and they kept out the wind up the legs and around your core. Only advice I can give is get yourself some. They have since become standard issue on cold days.

As far as the hat, no worries....however, I think the colors are fitting for hunting Roosters, and again plan on it being standard issue.

Beaver: There were a few more in my haul, but I was a piker compared to Bobby. Trust me, he is a Roosters worst nightmare.

There are some additional "cold" pics in the camera. Although it was easily handled when dressed properly and moving.

Last edited by battue; 11/23/22.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
A little windy.....

Icicles on everything...Going thru the cattails was especially more challenging than usual. However, those Carhats made it much easier and held out any dampness.

Those trees in the background were off limits....But you can be assured there were more than a couple Birds huddled in there.

Last edited by battue; 11/22/22.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome trip Battue. Glad you had a fine hunt although cold. Hang in there. I hope to hit that country again some day.

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by battue
I figured it may cause some to wonder when posting wearing it here. However, the fact is I never even considered the connection when the Grandkids gave it. Plus I like a little color in clothes. Couple other hunting friends like you saw the pics and got a laugh out of it!!!!

Thanks and as I have told you a couple times....My mistake was to not go out and stay at Bird Dog for many years previous. There is a great group of guys who are regulars; most of whom are serious about their Pheasant hunting. I came in as a stranger and left as a friend.

Thank you, I only hope and pray there are enough good years left to say, "I’m satisfied with it all."

For those who don't know, Bobby is not only an expert Pheasant hunter....it would be foolish to bet against him....but has successfully hunted the world in places most can't imagine. And it would be difficult to know another who is more down to earth, honest and one who has a true hunters heart and drive.

Yes, you are a valued friend....and in my life there are few. Now if I can remember to keep the bottom of the glass off the syrup dish. grin

You want to hunt your Dogs on Wild Pheasants...One on one if you choose, then look up the Bird Dog Bunkhouse. However, don't wait too long. Most who go sign on for next year before they leave.

Great post, Harry, and spot on true! I’m glad to hear that you boys had a great hunt, despite the weather.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Excellent Harry! I’m glad you had a good time there at Dukxdog’s. Your pic’s of the dogs alone are a treat, and otherwise certainly capture hunting of winter pheasants in the Heartland, although you hit an unusually brisk November for the region.

Our group heads out to central SD in about two and a half weeks. So far the extended forecast looks milder than during your trip. In the past we’ve encountered temps and wind from mild and still, to 20-30 mph and -20* with a foot of snow, to freezing sleet, whereupon semi’s, and even pumps started to hiccup; SxS’s wouldn’t eject. It’s all good. The thing about tough, bitter weather is, it feels so good when you get out of it! 😀

And Harry, you cut a dapper figure there with your outerwear, but I’m certainly relieved to hear you are not a new member of the Rainbow Coalition. 😉

Best,

Forgot about the freezing up...The safety on the Model 12 16gauge must have had some moisture inside. Two Roosters got up close and the safety wouldn't budge. Huntz a local farmer and friend held it up to the truck vent and got it working. Back at Bird Dog I hit it with the hair dryer and a spot of oil and all was well. Tip 2: If you happen to get snow on the safety on a really cold day...Dry it out ASAP.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd rather hunt late season birds in miserable weather than "pleasant" if I am wanting to put birds in the bag quickly. That is not to say I like being out in bad weather but that it can be used to great advantage.

In bad weather birds are as reluctant to leave cover as you are to leave the house so one can often get in shotgun range easier. In these conditions suitable cover is much more limited which concentrates the bird and eliminates a lot of walking in low percentage cover.

That one super wary bird may let you get much closer before flushing and when it does flush, at least some of the others will hold and hope whatever spooked the first bird passes by. When one knows the cover and pheasant habits it is very possible to limit out at the first stop in a few minutes. More than once the walk to or from a particular spot took longer than actually shooting a limit.

I'm eating my heart out this year, 5 weeks ago I broke my tibia and am out of hunting for the year. I was going to go to South Dakota this weekend to be cook and help drive the guys around scouting but holding off now as those around me are/have been coming down with the flu. No sense getting others sicker than they normally are.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Battue. I saw several different shotguns in the photos. Very cool looking stuff. Mind telling us what they were and what loads you were using. Always interested me.

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Hazen,

Old Model 12 16 gauge Modified using Kent bismuth 5’s which were devastating at 35 yards and under

Winchester Model 12 20 gauge IC using Federal blue box 6’s which did fine mostly around 20 yards.

Parker Reproduction 28 gauge IC/MOD using Fiocchi Golden Pheasants 5’s. Which I used most and crushed Birds close and out there with both chokes. One around 40 yards with the Mod choke. Was surprised at how well it worked. And I’m not one that believes the 28 has special magic.

Lost two with the 20 and one with the 28.

Last edited by battue; 11/24/22.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks. I shot my 870 28 ga. this fall on blue grouse. Did a fine job. I have killed sage grouse to 40 yards, but I keep the full choke tube in. My dogs do not work as close as those little cuties of yours. Thanks for the answer and fine post.

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
88 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.