Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Silly question I know, but what was the first Euregion ship to land on Canada?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S.S. Minnowette with Pierre Trudeau's Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather Captain Salute Trudeau at the helm.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/23/22.

KB

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The Vikings (Norse) at L’anse aux meadows in Newfoundland. The very northern tip of Newfoundland. After that the French, English and Basque all came to fish the Grand Banks for cod during the summer months. These were not permanent settlements. Not as clear as the Mayflower settlers.

Nick

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll put it this way, I'm glad you're all here.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
There were Vikings here prior to " L'Anse aux Meadows", but I do not know of specific ship's names. There was also "The Matthew", the vessel of Italian esxplorer Giovanni Caboto, in 1497 and there are claims of Scots, landing in the 1300s......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I do believe that Nick1899 is correct, it was the Vikings that landed here first way earlier than 1497. I was watching a documentary and they found remnants of a Viking village dating back way before 1000 AD, in Newfoundland, if I recall correctly.

Funny story about the Vikings, I was told by my grandmother that we were from Irish decent. I have always been interested in history, so I did a DNA TEST with Ancestry, and found out that I have ZREO Irish blood in me lol. My DNA proves I am 51% Scottish 35% Norwegian and the rest Western European.

I researched this further and discovered that Vikings were always invading Scotland and taking the women prisoners, which accounts for my Norwegian DNA, blue eyes and strapping good looks hehehe :o)

KB

KB

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Buddy hunting Alaska got into native areas thru a native friend. He noted blue eyed Eskimo’s and asked. Seems the Norwegian National Guard did some exercises there years ago, left more than equipment.

I asked if they were accepted by the pure ones and he thought they were.

They were referred to as “Coast Guard”.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My father was a Bush pilot, flying in around Hudson Bay back in the 50's, trading furs with the Inuit. He took me aside one day and told me that I have more brothers and sisters than I knew of and they were Eskimos.

Surprised I asked him "how is that possible daddy?". He told me that his plane broke down and he was stranded up there for a few months. He had Blue Eyes and was actually a very handsome man, he told me that all the lady folk were taken back with his blue eyes, and he had sex with most of them because of it, he said he had no choice. lol

God, how I miss my beautiful father. RIP Dad!

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 11/24/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Otto1217;
Good afternoon my old cyber friend, I trust the weather is behaving a few valleys east and you're well.

If I'm not mistaken, when I was still in school in the '70's there still wasn't agreement among Canadian archeologists/historians that the Vikings had been here at all. What piqued my personal interest in it was the Farley Mowat paperback "Two Against the North" which had a wee bit about the boys finding some Viking artifact if memory serves.

I've still got that book someplace actually and should re-read it - if the print is big enough that is. I've got an Andy Russell paperback that has some sort of microfiche printing in it and every time I attempt reading it I am forced to stop.

In another book I read somewhere in my misspent youth or misplaced memory, we can take our pick I suppose, I read there were anecdotes that fishermen from places like Ireland and perhaps as far south as Portugal were more than a little miffed when Columbus told everyone about their secret fishing grounds, which is conceivably truth if not totally so I'd guess?

One time in a discussion with a prairie born and raised cousin who turned out to have a passion for sailboats, he opined that sailors the world over had been pretty much everywhere since the beginning of time. I want to say he said leaving port and then getting back to land were generally the most dangerous times for sail boats, but again I might not be correct about that. As stated many times, I prefer a rough horse to a smooth boat any day please and thanks, so things nautical are not personally familiar whatsoever.

It does make for some interesting reading and wondering as to how close history as we're told it today is to what really happened, you know?

All the best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi Dwayne,

I hope you are doing GREAT!

I read "Two Against the North" when I was 14 years old, that book fueled my love for adventure, hunting and fishing!

Great book ~ Cheers

KB

KB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
KillerBee;
Good afternoon Darren, I'm well thanks and hope you're the same.

We went for a bit of a look for a whitetail buck that a hunting partner hit yesterday but we were unable to locate after hours of attempting to. It bled very little, then stopped entirely and finally mixed its tracks in with some other deer so even though there was snow, we didn't know which one to follow. Anyways we were up there at first light this morning to see if we could hear any ravens or find new sign, but neither of us did despite getting a good 3 hour hike in.

As they say though, "any day hunting is better than a day not hunting" - well I say that Darren and I might be part of some "them" though in today's nomenclature I don't identify as "them" - I'm a redneck semi-geezer, you know?

I will say before wandering further into the rhubarb, that when I was watching the sun come up, listening to the birds around me and some heavy equipment sounds from miles below echoing off of the canyon walls I was next to, I felt pretty blessed to both still be healthy enough to do that sort of thing and to still live where we're able to.

Although I'm cognizant that politically Farley Mowat and I could not possibly be further apart, as well as "Two Against the North" I enjoyed, "The Dog Who Wouldn't Be" and his personal memoirs of Canadian forces in Italy, "And No Birds Sang". They are about as opposite in content as one can get in books, one being quite funny - I thought anyways, and the war stories being quite grim really.

All the best to you my cyber friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hello again Dwayne,

I must agree at my age every day I get to walk the earth is a blessing, especially if I am knee deep in Moose territory, or sitting in a tree stand bow hunting deer or fishing for the elusive jumbo sturgeon here on the North Saskatchewan.

Too bad you did not find that deer, experience tells me that with a little blood and then no blood at all, the hit was off target and the deer will survive his close encounter with death! It's amazing me how tough wild critters are, I can recount many stories of animals I had killed or seen with serious injuries that were surviving quit well.

Farley Mowat is definitely a Canadian Icon; he actually reminds me in many ways of Earnest Hemmingway.

Cheers my friend ~ Darren

KB

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Farley, used to come out to a private bookstore run by ba friend of mine in Coquitlam, some 30 years ago, when I lived there. He was an obnoxious, loudmouthed drunk and was not re-invited. His writings do not compare with those of Hemingway and his war reminices are worthwhile, but, the rest of it is crap.

There are several sites in northern and eastern Canada, some dating from the 9thC which prove the Viking presence in this land prior to any other Euro. peoples. The legend the Scots Earl who landed before the Cabot's or Henry Hudson, has been largely discounted, however, work is still being done on these questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would have to be a French vessel . Quebec goes back a long ways.

My brother did a bunch of ancestor research. Much to my amusement , we had an ancestor on the Mayflower.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Otto1217
Farley, used to come out to a private bookstore run by ba friend of mine in Coquitlam, some 30 years ago, when I lived there. He was an obnoxious, loudmouthed drunk and was not re-invited. His writings do not compare with those of Hemingway and his war reminices are worthwhile, but, the rest of it is crap.

There are several sites in northern and eastern Canada, some dating from the 9thC which prove the Viking presence in this land prior to any other Euro. peoples. The legend the Scots Earl who landed before the Cabot's or Henry Hudson, has been largely discounted, however, work is still being done on these questions.

I was not specifically talking about their writing styles.

The comparison I am drawing between Hemmingway and Farley, is the fact that they were both writers, both worked in Canada, both had wartime experiences, both were severely depressed people, both were heavy duty alcoholics, and both were successful writers albeit Hemmingway was way more successful than Farley.

The major difference is that Hemmingway blew his brains out with his favorite shotgun when he was 61, Farley lived until he was 92.

Cheers ~ KB

KB

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always puzzling to me why arriving by boat gets so much attention on the east coast, when you can just walk here to the west coast from Asia LOL.

Didn't any boats land on the west coast? probably many boats, but it is unfortunate that history is shelved.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Admiral James Cook landed on Vancouver Island in 1778, he made a big mistake by going to Hawaii later and was Hacked to death on the beach.

Apparently North American Indians are more welcoming than Hawaiians lol

KB

KB

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good friend Walter Usalic stowaway on a cattle boat, spent a year in jail, worked his way to Wabigoon in Western Canada

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Genghis Khan had lots of People running away to North America.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 81 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.