Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Not my rifle and I have not looked at the rifle yet.

Got a call today. Guy shooting his BLR .300wm in before deer season.

Says the first two rounds shot fine. The third round didn't go off. Which led him to look at it and check the brass from the first two. Then he tried a couple more and stopped.

Attached photo of what he sent me.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I told him not to mess with it anymore and I'll take a look at it tomorrow. I fiddle with guns, mostly just cleaning and mounting scopes and such, but don't think I want to take a BLR apart.

What are we dealing with here. This is the third BLR I've had issues with. One, a 7mm-08 was having light primer strikes but I think it was just dirty. Cleaned it up well and as far as I know the guy still has it and has no issues. My .300wsm has been flawless though.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think two things are happening.

I think his loads are too hot #1.

And he says he cleaned the action and found a piece of metal in the firing pin hole. And it's firing factory loads correctly now.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I found reloading for the BLR is u can go over savage model 99 loading, but they are not to be loaded like model 88 s or bolt actions.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

And he says he cleaned the action and found a piece of metal in the firing pin hole. And it's firing factory loads correctly now.

-Jake
Could that piece of metal be from one of those pierced primers?
I know that when my AR15 pierces a primer due to too-hot loads that a firing pin replacement is in order. The gas from the pierced primer will actually cause a small divot in the end of the firing pin, which then allows subsequent primers to want to bulge out into that divot and pierce, even though the subsequent loads may not be too hot.
I read about this phenomena once and didn't believe it, but I took one of my firing pins to the natural sciences museum next to my work and had them put it under a microscope, which clearly showed that a divot had indeed been created.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 11/21/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Why, oh why do people hand load above proven safe levels?

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have never had any problem with my 300 Win . mag . but i always check at least 3 different reloading books when loading i bet he has to much powder above ,plus the old rule of thumb start low and work your way up . i own 7 different cartridges in BLR rifles all work just fine . the only BLR i kinda don`t care to shoot much anymore is the 300 Win. mag. the reason is the recoil and i get a headach now days.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake
Could that piece of metal be from one of those pierced primers?

Yes, it was from the primers. Found another piece when looking the rifle over.

Originally Posted by crshelton
Why, oh why do people hand load above proven safe levels?

It's actually a full grain below max. But it's certainly blowing primers out...

Originally Posted by pete53
i have never had any problem with my 300 Win . mag . but i always check at least 3 different reloading books when loading i bet he has to much powder above ,plus the old rule of thumb start low and work your way up . i own 7 different cartridges in BLR rifles all work just fine . the only BLR i kinda don`t care to shoot much anymore is the 300 Win. mag. the reason is the recoil and i get a headach now days.

I had a .300 wsm damaged in shipping. New one arrived and the buttstock split on the third shot. No, it wasn't in a vice or rest. They replaced the stock on that and it's flawless since then.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You ladies collective STUPIDITY,is fhuqking mind blowing. Hint.

Welcome to the pitfalls of Excessive Headspace. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hint

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does a 300 win mag head space off the belt or the neck?

Thanks

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Yes. Hint...............
You are so very helpful.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your VERY Tender Feelers and the subsequent Reports on same,make less than zero fhuqks to me. Hint.

Less a Cerrosafe chamber cast and said Fodder in hand for measurement,such determinations can't be made. Hint.

Good time for you to shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same. Hint.

Thank me later..............

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So I am assuming it behaves like a 7 mm mag?

So where do true belted magnums begin?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like ANY other chambering,headspace determinations should be ascertained,WELL before the first fhuqking shot. Hint.

I never don't not want the mechanics,of a POSITIVE headspaced false shoulder. Hint............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your VERY Tender Feelers and the subsequent Reports on same,make less than zero fhuqks to me. Hint.

Less a Cerrosafe chamber cast and said Fodder in hand for measurement,such determinations can't be made. Hint.

Good time for you to shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same. Hint.

Thank me later..............
Damn, man - are you retarded or what. Folks can't even understand what you're spouting off about half the time.
Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your STUPIDITY rests alone,upon your narrow shoulders and behind those crossed-eyes...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Feel free to cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to "understand" and I'll happily use lesser versions of same,just for you and your "special" "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your STUPIDITY rests alone,upon your narrow shoulders and behind those crossed-eyes...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Feel free to cite any/all words that are "too big" or "too Technical" for you to "understand" and I'll happily use lesser versions of same,just for you and your "special" "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Yep, retarded for sure. ^^^
Too retarded to even realize that I'm not the OP asking you any questions whatsoever.
Actually, it may be Asperger's syndrome instead of retardation, due to your incoherent babble and consistent use of "hint" and "fhuqking laughing". Are there any mental health professionals in your outback region who can help you?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
DFTT

Just sayin

Don’t feed the troll

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Angus1895
DFTT

Just sayin

Don’t feed the troll
Got it. Probably a good idea. I didn't realize he was spouting off with such silliness in an attempt to gain attention. I was afraid he needed some sort of mental health or something. Hint. 😄😄😄

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.