Print Thread
Hop To
A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I know the Chinese can make decent scopes as well as really bad ones. Do Mueller scopes fall into the really bad category?

Basically I'm looking for a rimfire scope with an adjustable objective for under $200. The Mueller APV 2-7x32 looked appealing on paper. Not too many options in this price range, and I'll probably just keep saving my pennies.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago my neighbor bought a Mueller APV. I don't recall the magnification. He bought it because of all the hype he was reading at Rimfire Central. I looked at it and thought it was a steaming pile of crap. The eyebox was very tight and unforgiving and I went no further than that because I considered it to be unusable on account of just that alone.

I wouldn't buy one...there are too many scopes out there that are more usable.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
antero Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm reading more reviews and it sounds like you're not the only one who feels that way. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These are inexpensive and a very good deal for the price. Like Mueller, made in China.

https://www.natchezss.com/catalog/search/?query=aetec

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an APV while inexpensive it worked well, I gave it to my nephew for his first predator calling scope and it worked well for him until he got into it enough that the scope wasn't enough for him.. I have a Mueller red dot sight as a backup on my bow that does its job. I also have a Mueller 8-32 scope that I bought when they had a pre-release sale that is one of my better purchases, it is clear all the way to 32x but does dim a little, not as bad as a Vortex Crossfire 6-24 and the glass is clearer than both of my Vortex Viper 6.5-20's. The parallax adjustment is a little mushy, you have to go past and them back up, I have it on a target 22lr.

They are inexpensive but work, would I buy one for a hunting rifle, I'm beyond needing and inexpensive scope as is my nephew, so no. Would I buy one for a Savage Axis that I could barely afford and needed glass that would get the job done and not wreck my pocket book, yes.

So it really depends on your perspective. I would look more at a lower end Athlon scope or Sightron before a Mueller.

That Simmons Atec scope was once considered a good scope, if I remember right years ago Mule deer gave it glowing praise in an evaluation he did I think it was on a pre-release model they sent to him.

Last edited by erich; 11/24/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antero
I know the Chinese can make decent scopes as well as really bad ones. Do Mueller scopes fall into the really bad category?

Basically I'm looking for a rimfire scope with an adjustable objective for under $200. The Mueller APV 2-7x32 looked appealing on paper. Not too many options in this price range, and I'll probably just keep saving my pennies.

It may or may not be obvious to you, but as long as you select something with an adjustable objective or with side focus (side focus is the way to go, IMO) then the scope doesn't have to be a "rimfire" scope.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
I had an APV while inexpensive it worked well, I gave it to my nephew for his first predator calling scope and it worked well for him until he got into it enough that the scope wasn't enough for him.. I have a Mueller red dot sight as a backup on my bow that does its job. I also have a Mueller 8-32 scope that I bought when they had a pre-release sale that is one of my better purchases, it is clear all the way to 32x but does dim a little, not as bad as a Vortex Crossfire 6-24 and the glass is clearer than both of my Vortex Viper 6.5-20's. The parallax adjustment is a little mushy, you have to go past and them back up, I have it on a target 22lr.

They are inexpensive but work, would I buy one for a hunting rifle, I'm beyond needing and inexpensive scope as is my nephew, so no. Would I buy one for a Savage Axis that I could barely afford and needed glass that would get the job done and not wreck my pocket book, yes.

So it really depends on your perspective. I would look more at a lower end Athlon scope or Sightron before a Mueller.

That Simmons Atec scope was once considered a good scope, if I remember right years ago Mule deer gave it glowing praise in an evaluation he did I think it was on a pre-release model they sent to him.

The original Aetecs were very nice scopes. These are not the same. They are a step down in optical quality, but still a bargain for those willing to buy a Chinese scope.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems like you'd be better served with a Weaver Classic from Natchez Shooters Supply

Weaver Classics

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Get you a SWFA SS 6x42 for $219. I have a 10x and 12x on a couple of 22's. Love them.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a 4.5-14 APT, AO 30mm. It checked a lot of boxes for not much money at the time I bought it.
I bought it ~10 years ago for a Savage MKII 22 and it's been fine for that job.
I replaced it with an SWFA 10x this year to get better tracking while shooting silhouettes but the Mueller is on another 22 now.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have owned two , a 2-7 shotgun scope and a 3-10x44. Both were well worth the under $100. I paid for them but both eventually died. Tempted to send the 3-10 back and see what they want to replace it with.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
828 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,254 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.