Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Finally got screwed on a Gunbroker deal

Oh I got the rifle, and it is in good shape. Win 70 XTR pushfeed in 7 Rem mag. And it has a great stock with beautiful figure in the butt.

I put the borescope in it, and it looked like a copper mine, pretty much as expected. I scrubbed it to bare metal with Sweets, and then Hoppes 9, and Sweets again until patches came out clear, even after a 30 minute soak.

Then I ran the bore scope again. The throat is not too bad, a little alligator skin. But halfway down the bore there is a spot which looks acid etched. 30% of the circumference and an inch and half long. There are a couple smaller places also further down toward the muzzle. I have never seen anything like this.

Add to that, it will not chamber a new fully sized Winchester empty case. A magic markered case shows a severe scrape in the right hand side of the chamber at the shoulder.

I bought the rifle as a gift to my 40 year old son. I am curious if anyone has had experience with Winchester fixing something like this?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
BP-B6

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seriously doubt they will be able to help you. Best to use a competent gunsmith and be done.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The newest iteration of the Winchester Arms company is owned by Browning Arms Co. I doubt they will mess with a used Connecticut made rifle. I’m sure if you call their customer service they’ll tell you one way or another. If it were mine I’d send the whole rifle to Hart barrels and let their gunsmith put a new 24” stainless barrel on it.

https://www.hartbarrels.com/default.asp

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shaw might be cheaper and possibly faster than a local guy. Certainly they'd be faster than the best guy around here, who is very busy. Once upon a time, their reputation wasn’t all that good, but Mule Deer and others say that their barrels are quite good now.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I have the # for Win's customer service. I will call them Monday.

Then Shaw and check their prices. I do not see any prices on their website. If Shaw's price is not considerably better than Pac-Nor, Pac-Nor will get the job.

The sad thing is, I am rebarreling a Win 7 RM to 264 Win, but that one is a Classic with an extractor cut and coned breech. That barrel is nearly pristine. So little use on the rifle that the bolt jeweling still looks new. But the barrel won't fit on the push feed.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Shaw might be cheaper and possibly faster than a local guy. Certainly they'd be faster than the best guy around here, who is very busy. Once upon a time, their reputation wasn’t all that good, but Mule Deer and others say that their barrels are quite good now.

I’ve got an ER Shaw rifle in 6.5 PRC that I am very happy with. Very accurate and very well made.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As others have said, the Winchester that made the rifle is long gone. I'd be stunned if they'll do it, but curious to hear what you find out. (They still honor the m100 firing pin recall, but I'm assuming that's a "so we don't get sued" deal... whereas you could never prove the barrel left the factory with those issues.)

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As above, have a competent gunsmith or barrel maker fit a new barrel to the receiver for you. Douglas Barrels is my go to option. I have had zero drama with Douglas fitting barrels to about a half dozen rifles for me. Last rifle I dropped off at end of September. Had it back 16 days later mid-October. $612 to fit the new SS barrel, and ~$60 for the trip home... Good folks...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Then Shaw and check their prices. I do not see any prices on their website. If Shaw's price is not considerably better than Pac-Nor, Pac-Nor will get the job.

The sad thing is, I am rebarreling a Win 7 RM to 264 Win, but that one is a Classic with an extractor cut and coned breech. That barrel is nearly pristine. So little use on the rifle that the bolt jeweling still looks new. But the barrel won't fit on the push feed.

Couldn't the barrel be setback and rechambered to fit the new rifle?

Maybe BSA knows for certain?

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Fastest turn around I've had in a barrel over the last year, was one out of Douglas up there near Charleston...

3 weeks from the time of order until it arrived on the Door Step. Pricing was competitive...
and it shoots great....

it was on a Savage Axxis Action, so I didn't have to incur any gunsmith costs to install it..

Addendum: typed this before seeing Orion's post, but he's verifying the same experience I had...and I am located on the west coast., not one state over.... Plus I like dealing with WVa folks.. since I was born in Bluefield.

Last edited by Seafire; 11/25/22.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This is funny

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by John55
Seriously doubt they will be able to help you. Best to use a competent gunsmith and be done.

And probably a lot less headache in the end.

Semper Fi
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
As others have said, the Winchester that made the rifle is long gone. I'd be stunned if they'll do it, but curious to hear what you find out. (They still honor the m100 firing pin recall, but I'm assuming that's a "so we don't get sued" deal... whereas you could never prove the barrel left the factory with those issues.)

No, I do not expect or desire this to be a warranty issue. I only wish to purchase a factory barrel and pay for installation. I know some factories do this at far less cost than custom barrel makers.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Darryle
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Couldn't the barrel be setback and rechambered to fit the new rifle?

Maybe BSA knows for certain?

That would require at least 1/2 inch taken off the barrel to remove the extractor cut and cone. Then the barrel would not fit the channel in the stock, and there would be nearly as much expense as fitting a new barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not my experience at all. Last year I sent a Ruger M77 Tang Safety 250 Savage to them for a new barrel. No communication at all. Finally got it back. The Timney trigger was about to fall off the action, only a couple threads holding it on. The clip holding the long mauser type extractor was only hooked on one end. I attached the other end of the clip and found that lots of times it wouldn't chamber a load since the extractor was jamming against the case rim. When it does chamber and fire it doesn't fully extract the case, just drops it on the magazine follower. Accuracy was terrible. Sent it back, finally got it returned and can see no difference in accuracy. I've only had one factory barrel in over 50 years of playing with rifles that wouldn't out shoot it. That one was a M94 Ranger 30-30, but it was close.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
As others have said, Winchester will not touch it; at least, I'm 99% certain that they won't.. You need a 'smith to put a new barrel on it.. Many barrel-makers have the capacity and programs to duplicate the original contour..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why not search for a take-off barrel? I thing the 7mm is most available caliber out there.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
It's Monday morning, and I got the anticipated answer from Winchester.

This rifle is too old to be serviced by the present manufacturer. They referred me to Midwest Gun Works. But they do not have the appropriate barrel in stock.

I have an Email in to Shaw, since they do not answer their phone. Shaw has a 20% off sale right now, but they do not mention Winchester profiles on their website.

Unless Shaw surprises me with their response, I expect this rifle will be going to PacNor along with the model 70 Classic in 7 RM to become a 264.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check Numrich Gun Parts They might have a barrel in stock.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
This reminds me of the thread about guys asking advice then ignoring the advice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (1beaver_shooter, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.