Print Thread
Hop To
K
kappa8 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Not car batteries, but AA or C alkaline batteries that let loose in your device (trailcam, radio, flashlight, etc).

I've used baking soda paste with minimal success. Emery cloth and/or wire brush - depending on access - seem to provide decent success, but doesn't get rid of all that leaked acid which always creeps back in.

How do you clean up the mess & refurb the SS contacts and springs so it's usable again?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Baking soda is alkaline. You need a mild acid to neutralize.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a AA rechargeable battery explode once, it sounded like a gun going off in the room, destroying the device it was in.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kappa8
Not car batteries, but AA or C alkaline batteries that let loose in your device (trailcam, radio, flashlight, etc).

I've used baking soda paste with minimal success. Emery cloth and/or wire brush - depending on access - seem to provide decent success, but doesn't get rid of all that leaked acid which always creeps back in.

How do you clean up the mess & refurb the SS contacts and springs so it's usable again?
The key is that the batteries are alkaline, a base. In other words, the pH is on the opposite end of the scale. I would suggest an old toothbrush dipped in plain white vinegar to neutralize the alkaline corrosion.

Most consumer dry cell battery manufacturers guarantee their batteries against leakage and damage to the item in which they are installed. Do a search for battery brand.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vinegar is the ticket.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Some years back, I was directed to some spray
stuff called Corrosion Block to spray down stuff
on the boat after a salty ride.
I've also saved a couple of battery operated
doo dads that the the batteries crapped out and
made the classic green fuzz inside. The guy at
the boating store told me about that. I wasn't
able to save my old handheld GPS that was
soaked in the GOM on a trip, but I've saved a
few remote controls and other stuff that succumbed
to the dreaded green fuzz.
Spray it down liberally and let it lay on paper towels
or newspaper, rags, etc.
Sure can't hurt to try if the alternative is the trash can

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually the device is destroyed, and I just buy a new one. Watch all the electric cars in the next few years.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you email a pic to Duracell etc. They will typically send you replacement cost of the Maglite,.. radio... trailcam etc.

I have been doing this for years...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by high_country_
Vinegar is the ticket.

And a NON METAL polish wheel on a Dremel.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by CashisKing

If you email a pic to Duracell etc. They will typically send you replacement cost of the Maglite,.. radio... trailcam etc.

I have been doing this for years...

Have a first cousin that works for Duracell and your statement is correct. Call/email them and you’ll be taken care of.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've used the parts store spray for car battery corrosion , never had anymore corrosion

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve had a problem with MagLites and batteries. Seems to be a combo that hates each other.

I got to where I just never leave batteries inside the light.

Thanks Energizer. Duracell, Rayovac…how’s that for in the dark readiness? Pos batteries.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’ve had a problem with MagLites and batteries. Seems to be a combo that hates each other.

I got to where I just never leave batteries inside the light.

Thanks Energizer. Duracell, Rayovac…how’s that readiness. Pos batteries.
I just checked my little mini shining bright,, maybe you just have bad luck, you seem like the type

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,747 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.