Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I mounted a scope yesterday for my buddy on his new Bergara MGlite rifle in 308 Winchester. I used a Warne one piece rail, and carefully bedded it to action. I noticed right away that the rail was twisted once tightened down. I could not match either of the ends of the rail to the bubble level built into the stock. Placing a level over the front screws was quite a bit different than placing it over the rear screws. I decided to to try and mount the scope anyway.
The scope was a Leupold Mark V 3-18. It dropped right in so I thought I might get away with it.

It was dark when I mounted it so I didn't have a good spot to bore sight. I did that at the range yesterday. I could not get enough right windage to center it up. With the windage maxed out it was still 2 MOA to the left of my aiming point. Very frustrating and an expensive rifle.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

BP-B6

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Return it, but chit happens. Or maybe, as you undoubtedly know, a 2-pc may work better.

Never had that problem with a Ruger. smile

Now if I can just get that 270 Ruger take-off barrel clean and bore-coated with the stuff you brought me..... Looks like it had a crap-load of rounds through it, so , if after all this, it may go down the road or re-bored if the barely acceptable hunting groups don't mintain or get better.

It's fighting me for clean - The M70 I just started (for comparison) with >150 rounds through it is looking a whole lot easier!

I'm not frustrated .....yet. It's a learning curve.

Buying cheap has it's hazards. Apparently not so cheap does too.

Last edited by las; 11/24/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm fhuqking CRYING...I'm laughing sooooooooooo hard! HINT.

"Bedding","bubbles","levels" and your "abilities",are fhuqking AWESOME oblivious HILARITY! HINT.

What do you "do" for a "living",with that AMAZING "skill" set? HINT.

Your mind numbing ineptitude never disappoints,by you simply doing your BEST. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hint Big stick you are Rude Hint Hint Hint Hint

You seem to be very knowledgeable but rude rude and the hint thing you have worn us out with hint hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kchuntback,

THANKS for sharing your VERY Tender Feelers,while reiterating that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You'd do well to simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes and apply same,despite all of those things exceeding your "abilities". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Fastback65

You seem to be very knowledgeable but rude rude and the hint thing you have worn us out with hint hint.
I bet he has meany old tweets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m curious; did you by chance check the rail for fit before you bedded it? I’ve had (and have) some older commercial 98s that were gunsmith-drilled and tapped with “issues”, but never had a problem with other rifles. I know the practice is fairly common with some, just never felt I needed to do it.

Trouble with a new, spendy gun is a bitch, no doubt about it. Hope things turn out.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fit?

I put it on loosely. All the holes lined up...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The purpose of Dennisin post was to ask for help and if anyone has encountered this before.

The Fire is a great resource for just such a problem and i truly value peoples input.

This is how most of learn.

I am no gunsmith nor pretend to be one but do tinker with stuff and learn from post on the Fire.

I have asked for help on issues and have always got great responses.

I do get frustrated when people belittle others for asking questions that is the purpose of the forum to learn ask questions.

I hope you fiqure it out dennisin. I hope someone here has a easy fix for ya.

Please keep us up todate on your progress and hopefully someone will chime in with the solution. Best of luck

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Lighten up Fastback. Schtick serves a purpose here , even if self appointed...

Think back to the 70s and Saturday Night Live, in John Belushi days...

he got laughs by playing an idiot...

that is pretty much Schtick's M.O., poor guy lives in Buttfudk AK, keeps to himself, because no one can put up with him...
he's an alcoholic, even by Alaska Standards.. He's knowledgeable, but considering his preferred personality, he likes to style himself as a know it all ass....and thinks acting to be smarter than everyone else makes him better. It works for some folks, as he does have his campfire groupies, but their numbers are declining... He's got emotional issues, and uses his personality to try and hide them from the public.. but he's not real good at it, for anyone who knows how to identify it...

Contrary to popular belief, I sorta like Schtick.. I've learned to do so over the years...He's not a bad guy, but I'll admit he is as cuddly as a Porkie Pine.
I make fun of him, but he handles it in stride.. guess he has a lot of practice doing so...

You can learn from his experiences by reading them.. but engage him, and it will be answered with 12 year old wise ass comments.

Sigmund Freud would have loved Schtick as a subject to study....

If nothing else I can respect the guy.. but then I've been accused of cutting slack to plenty of people in low places...

Still think Stumpy is the best entertainment value on the www... especially with his 4 ft 13 inch height handicap, bald head and beady cross eyed eyeballs... and lets not forget non one achieves or accomplishes MORE with 2 working brain cells than Schtick does...

and ya post something like this, you'll get a stupid idiotic response that is ALWAYS entertaining... and even tho English is his native language, it is evident that he was no academic Star in his Elementary School years... that is why he bailed out of High School when he was still living in Coos Bay OR, but legal trouble had him take off to nowhere AK, where he's been ever since...

Schtick is much like the irritating little brother that most of us weren't stuck with one of...but there is NO two of him on the planet or the WWW.

it ain't easy being Schtick....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The gnome is a bottom feeding loser, and offers nothing you can't find out from other knowledgeable guys here. Respect? You've got to be kidding me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Thanks Seafire

it just got under my skin disrespecting Dennisin for asking a question. Hell thats how we learn i have seen some of sticks post he knows what he is talking about and i appreciate that.
Just wish he would tone it down as others are just trying to learn.

( Stick has some very nice toys looking at some of his post and obvisoly has spent a lot of time researching stuff.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

Lighten up Fastback. Schtick serves a purpose here , even if self appointed...

Think back to the 70s and Saturday Night Live, in John Belushi days...

he got laughs by playing an idiot...

that is pretty much Schtick's M.O., poor guy lives in Buttfudk AK, keeps to himself, because no one can put up with him...
he's an alcoholic, even by Alaska Standards.. He's knowledgeable, but considering his preferred personality, he likes to style himself as a know it all ass....and thinks acting to be smarter than everyone else makes him better. It works for some folks, as he does have his campfire groupies, but their numbers are declining... He's got emotional issues, and uses his personality to try and hide them from the public.. but he's not real good at it, for anyone who knows how to identify it...

Contrary to popular belief, I sorta like Schtick.. I've learned to do so over the years...He's not a bad guy, but I'll admit he is as cuddly as a Porkie Pine.
I make fun of him, but he handles it in stride.. guess he has a lot of practice doing so...

You can learn from his experiences by reading them.. but engage him, and it will be answered with 12 year old wise ass comments.

Sigmund Freud would have loved Schtick as a subject to study....

If nothing else I can respect the guy.. but then I've been accused of cutting slack to plenty of people in low places...

Still think Stumpy is the best entertainment value on the www... especially with his 4 ft 13 inch height handicap, bald head and beady cross eyed eyeballs... and lets not forget non one achieves or accomplishes MORE with 2 working brain cells than Schtick does...

and ya post something like this, you'll get a stupid idiotic response that is ALWAYS entertaining... and even tho English is his native language, it is evident that he was no academic Star in his Elementary School years... that is why he bailed out of High School when he was still living in Coos Bay OR, but legal trouble had him take off to nowhere AK, where he's been ever since...

Schtick is much like the irritating little brother that most of us weren't stuck with one of...but there is NO two of him on the planet or the WWW.

it ain't easy being Schtick....

Stick is a problem child. But, he is our problem child. The guy does know some stuff and like many of you I like him best when he is to the point and has some real information to share. (rifle scopes) He is the ying and the yang of the Campfire all wrapped up in one. This place would be boring without him. If you really want some entertainment value, ask him how he breaks in a rifle. Or ask him about a "Sucks". The long time Campfire members know what I'm talking about. Yes, ol' Sig Freud would have a field day with "The Stick". Then go home and drown his sorrows with alcohol, hookers and blow.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Fit?

I put it on loosely. All the holes lined up...

Okay. I was just wondering if it fit the action contours well and sat evenly and squarely without the screws, or maybe just one to keep it from falling off while you eyeballed it.

One of those old 98s I mentioned only had one hole in the bridge, and that one was off just a frog hair from allowing a bridge mount. Took it my smith for a second hole so I could use a two-piece, but the base just sat on the center with no contact or support on the sides. I hadn’t checked that. Would require a custom base or re-contouring to get solid support, a no-go for a cheap rifle.

Be interested to see how Bergara handles this. Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

I'll come to your Emotional Rescue,though you can still brandish your Professional Victim status,in all of it's "glory"...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even an Opiated Addled Brokedick Bed Pan Polisher and a Lying Fhuqking Texan,can "afford" to "contribute". You gals should duel,to see who thinks about me the most often and for the greatest duration(s),in the course of an "average" day. Your unified "heralded" Imaginary Pretend Ignore is fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Anywhoo...onto Mechanics and the OP's Mind Numbing Fhuqking STUPIDITY. Hint.

Her high pitched Nasal Whine,denoted "bedding","twisting","bubbles","level" and her crossed-eyes,Blue Parking Permit and Drool Bib go without fhuqking saying. Just saying. Hint.

Before/during/after her uncanny "prowess",she still can't reliably get water out of the kitchen sink. Said glass has in the realm of 75" of windage travel at the 100yd line,but only after unleashing her "skills",were woes "discovered". Rest assured gals,if/when a mounting system is off six and a half fhuqking feet at 100yds,it can(SHOULD) be discerned lonnggggggggg before the glass is mounted. Read that again. Now one more time sloowwwwwwly. If only for fhuqking starters. HINT.

As an aside,do not "forget",that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rest assured gals,if/when a mounting system is off six and a half fhuqking feet at 100yds,it can(SHOULD) be discerned lonnggggggggg before the glass is mounted.

Ya think?😜

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's FUNNIER than fhuqk,to grant Crying Karens the opportunity to "show case" their "skill set",but it just never seems to go the way they "planned". Professional Victims are greatly soothed,with their Participation Trophies...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint.

I'm fhuqking CRYING...I'm laughing sooooooooooo hard! HINT...............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the bases where the holes that are not centered on the receiver, would this be a place for rings that you can adjust left or right (Millet ?) verses trying to drill new holes ? I realize that a one piece base may be out of the question and it's a farmer (no offense farmers but you know what I'm getting at) rigged solution at best but it may be the cheapest solution. I'm not sure who makes or made those types of rings. Enlighten the unknowing.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/25/22.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Millet has yet to make anything worth a fhuqk. Hint.

I would be AMAZED that there is a 75MOA concentricity issue,housed within the receiver fastener's geometry. Hint.

If only for fhuqking starters. Hint.............

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why bed the rail when it already seemed to fit fine? Adding bedding more likely is the source of a problem than the rifle.

And never saw two piece bases straighter than a one piece Pic rail.

Clean off the bedding, if possible, toss the bedded Pic rail in the trash (and the Luepold right behind it), use a good torque wrench, and see what happens.

Fwiw - I put a Nightforce pic rail on a Bergara .300 PRC, put on a known reliable scope, Nightforce NX8, zeroed in three shots and promptly ran it out to 600 yards without issue. Bergara seems to be making R700’s better than Remington did on its best day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.