Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone run Cutting Edge solids in a 10mm for bear defense?

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40-190gr-handgun-solid

Tks,

Jeff

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did you notice the S&W warning?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
No, do tell.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
gotcha

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This one:

WARNING : DO NOT USE IN .40 S&W

This 190 grain HG Solid™ designed for 10mm handguns is an excellent choice for Big Game Hunting, Dangerous Game Hunting, or Target applications.

The HG Solid is a non-expanding, solid copper bullet that out-penetrates any other handgun bullet on the market.

The HG Solid also features our patented SealTite™ band technology, and is 100% lead free.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Interested, just wish I had load data for that bullet. I’m thinking AA #9 would be a good choice to work up with.

NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I personally don't see the need to buy costly all copper flat pointbullets when flat point hardcast casts work to perfection

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't see how they are "better" than hard cast lead of the same shape. But they certainly are more expensive.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Beat me to it jwp!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I did try them but I could never get the velocity I wanted out of them. I ended up using Montana Bullet Works' NOE WFN 200 grain gas checked bullet, sized .401", and heat treated and 22 bhn. Copper vs lead, length of bullet leaving room in the case, but I ran into pressure signs much earlier with the CE vs the MBW, to the tune of near 200 fps difference in my KKM 6 inch barrel.

A few years ago I conducted penetration tests using several cow elk skulls lined up that were freshly killed, still with hide, meat, brain, etc. The MBW bullet listed above using Longshot powder, out penetrated the CE 190 grn, Underwood 200 grn full metal case FN, and 200 grain Hornady XTP's in the cow skulls.

Regards,
Manny

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cwh2
I don't see how they are "better" than hard cast lead of the same shape. But they certainly are more expensive.

There’s only one potential advantage - the ability to buy 50 and be done with it. Aren’t there large minimum orders from Missouri Bullet co and others who sell similar hard cast?

I’ll practice with JHPs of similar weight.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I ever load mine for bear defense, it will be loaded with the new Swift A-Frame 10mm bullets.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
If I ever load mine for bear defense, it will be loaded with the new Swift A-Frame 10mm bullets.
Nearly 60, and senile already?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

Quite possibly. What did I miss?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Sticky, expanding bullets at mediocre velocity out of a handgun is the opposite of what you want against a bear. You want to break things, and make deep holes.

I'm sure the Swifts are great in hunting scenarios. But they'll never penetrate as deeply or as straight as a non-expanding bullet.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Now that’s just mean HNS.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Sticky, expanding bullets at mediocre velocity out of a handgun is the opposite of what you want against a bear. You want to break things, and make deep holes.

I'm sure the Swifts are great in hunting scenarios. But they'll never penetrate as deeply or as straight as a non-expanding bullet.

The partition in these rests very far forward, so you don't get dramatic expansion, but enough to create a larger diameter permanent wound cavity. You'd obviously lose a little penetration, but I don't think it's enough to matter. I'd definitely do some testing before I adopted a load.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

There’s only one potential advantage - the ability to buy 50 and be done with it. Aren’t there large minimum orders from Missouri Bullet co and others who sell similar hard cast?

Montana Bullet Works sells 100 of the 200 grain fn-gc for $36 plus shipping. The Cutting Edge 190's are $48 plus shipping...for 50.

The extra MBW bullets came in handy to work up a load, and then I shot a bunch to ensure reliability in my G20. I ordered 200 of them.

End of the day, you have to do what you are most comfortable with.

Regards,
Manny

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

Montana Bullet Works sells 100 of the 200 grain fn-gc for $36 plus shipping. The Cutting Edge 190's are $48 plus shipping...for 50.

The extra MBW bullets came in handy to work up a load, and then I shot a bunch to ensure reliability in my G20. I ordered 200 of them.

End of the day, you have to do what you are most comfortable with.

Regards,
Manny

Whoa, didn’t know they’d sell 100. My last batch was in .45 cal and the little box weighed about 20 lbs 😊

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lehigh extreme defender and penetrators so far are giving me the best of all worlds at this point. I suppose proof would be in a bear charge which I hope to avoid and or have my 458 win mag if it happens.

But mono bullets just keep on giving.

That said I have no issues with heavy hard cast either.

I have carried both in the 10mm daily carry gun

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.