Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Do you trust that static testing tells you all you need to know about how well your scope is going to perform with other variables, or do you take it out to confirm by shooting?

That was never typed by Rick and you seem to understand that testing the optic is the first step with shooting/field use being the second.

Much of this thread is a result of the OPs and others lack of experience reading trace and spotting impacts.

The Elk video is a great test if someone has the basics of LR shooting. A few very vocal fail Bots and lots pass in the thread.

If a LiL Fish or a Shrappy Baldwin or a Jackoffmt can't read trace and spot impacts watching HD video frame by frame why would anyone listen to their advice on optics.

Always wrong but never in doubt posters is part of the 24HR CF.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A static scope,mounted in a static fixture,is not going to "reveal" anything. Though in fairness,I've only seen (3) NIB Reupolds puke in a single day,on their Maiden Voyage. I've more faith in what projectiles reveal in Real World POA/POI,rather than some warm/fuzzy platform,that is not the rifle affixed to it. Hint.

I reckon if FORCED to suffer Reupold,the approach may be of merit,in the hopes of finding a "winner". Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A static scope,mounted in a static fixture,is not going to "reveal" anything. Though in fairness,I've only seen (3) NIB Reupolds puke in a single day,on their Maiden Voyage. I've more faith in what projectiles reveal in Real World POA/POI,rather than some warm/fuzzy platform,that is not the rifle affixed to it. Hint.

I reckon if FORCED to suffer Reupold,the approach may be of merit,in the hopes of finding a "winner". Hint................

You would well served by starting at the start to build a skill set that allows one to evaluate hunting optic.

I suggest you read a "Reading Trace and Spotting Impacts" book.

Maybe attend "Reading Trace and Spotting Impacts" summer camp and take lots of notes.

Here is a great example for you to study. Shrappy Baldwin and Jackoffmt, same applies to you both.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Do you trust that static testing tells you all you need to know about how well your scope is going to perform with other variables, or do you take it out to confirm by shooting?

That was never typed by Rick and you seem to understand that testing the optic is the first step with shooting/field use being the second.

Much of this thread is a result of the OPs and others lack of experience reading trace and spotting impacts.

The Elk video is a great test if someone has the basics of LR shooting. A few very vocal fail Bots and lots pass in the thread.

If a LiL Fish or a Shrappy Baldwin or a Jackoffmt can't read trace and spot impacts watching HD video frame by frame why would anyone listen to their advice on optics.

JB:

To clear up confusion, RC did ask if I thought mounting a scope and then going out and shooting actually proved anything. This was followed by a question from RC of if I just trusted the manufacturer. Based on these statements, as a logical retort in the line of questioning, I asked the question you quoted.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Your Dumbfhuqktitude is perpetually HILARIOUS! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB:

To clear up confusion, RC did ask if I thought mounting a scope and then going out and shooting actually proved anything. This was followed by a question from RC of if I just trusted the manufacturer. Based on these statements, as a logical retort in the line of questioning, I asked the question you quoted.

Rick was already on record about that but maybe you missed his posts.

Point is that if a shooter has access to a static test setup it's smart to test the optic before spending rounds.

We test everything on a collimator for reticle level, adjustments in both increment and range, zoom and focus run out, and reticle substension before shooting.

Leupold Virtues.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/25/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

To me this is "THE quote of the month" !!!!!!
Good Job JB laugh

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What is the "success rate" of these Reupolds,"tested" under such "grueling" "conditions"? Hint.

Fascinating,that Reupold "virtues" REQUIRE said "testing". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Your post was perfectly clear. A couple would argue with a picket fence.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
Yeah, but the gunsmith tested it and said it was perfect. All I need to know.

To me, static testing is of dubious value. It's useful to potentially save some ammo and heart ache by seeing if a scope is worth mounting to your rig in the first place, but beyond that, what does it prove?

IME, twisting the dials while the scope is clamped to a static mount isn't what causes scopes to go wonky. How a scope handles recoil, bouncing around on rough roads, accidental falls and/or drops while carrying, etc, are what concerns me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

To me, static testing is of dubious value. It's useful to potentially save some ammo and heart ache by seeing if a scope is worth mounting to your rig in the first place, but beyond that, what does it prove?

IME, twisting the dials while the scope is clamped to a static mount isn't what causes scopes to go wonky. How a scope handles recoil, bouncing around on rough roads, accidental falls and/or drops while carrying, etc, are what concerns me.

What it does is show you if the optic works in the first place before you mount it, saving you a lot of BS

Do you think that mounting a scope on your rifle, then going out and shooting it at various ranges tells you anything? How do you know when you dial 3.2 mils, that the scope actually moves the reticle 3.2 mils? How do you tell if your reticle subtentions are accurate?

I guess you just take the manufacturer’s word for it

🤡

RC:

I see the value of testing before mounting; I stated exactly that in the second sentence of my post.

And, yes, I do think that measuring poi vis a vis poa at various yardages and after dialing a bunch to and fro tells me what I need to know about how well my scope is built and how well it is doing it's job. Actually shooting also introduces recoil, drops, and rough rides on back roads into the testing process.

Of course you shoot, but it’s nice to know any POA/POI problems you may encounter aren’t due to the scope.
I wouldn't go that far, as recoil and environmental factors can cause scopes to misbehave that seemed fine in a static fixture in a controlled climate. But static testing can be considered a first step in proving a scope's mechanical function and integrity, revealing any glaring issues before the shooting in real environments begins.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

You should quote some one arguing with that post.

Although a scope that has issues in static testing most likely won't get better in the field.

Leupold Virtues.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JohnBurns; 11/25/22.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by SLM

A lot of exchanges here on the Campfire, especially in the Optics Section remind me of a hockey game some friends and I attended back in the day in Fairbanks. To set the stage, there is a drinking side, and a non-drinking side of the rink. Let’s call the drinking side the Optics Forum, and yes, this is where we always sat.

There had been many beers consumed (similar to many exchanged conversations on the forum). Our row of people was having a continued beef going on with the row of jaggoffs directly below us (Just for JB, they were some Army folks with the ringleader being a SF instructor). They would continually keep standing up so we couldn’t see the game - kind of like some people singing the same old story line in the Optics Forum.

This led to a continued heated exchange of “Sit the F down” with responses of “shut the F up and mind your own business” with neither side really hearing the other. No addresses, no lunch invitations were needed if we were going to mix it up. All were in the zip code at the moment. Only the women in both rows were trying to be sensible and calm things down. I wasn’t wild about mixing it up with Mr. Badazz, but I wasn’t taking any schitt either or backing down and I knew I’d be carrying most of the water, drunk or sober.

Towards the end of the game, my friend Dave was just screaming at the people below us to SIT DOWN!!! Well, turns out they had finally sat down, but ol’ Dave was too drunk for that fact to register. Read that again, then again, and let it sink in. <grin>

PUNCHLINE: Always helps to listen (or read thoroughly) before responding regardless of how big of an azzhole you are dealing with.

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/25/22.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Big Stick]

Here is a great example for you to study. Shrappy Baldwin and Jackoffmt, same applies to you both.

Noted that the coyote was running after getting footing after rolling off rock. Was it dead?

GOA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SLM

You should quote some one arguing with that post.

Although a scope that has issues in static testing most likely won't get better in the field.

Leupold Virtues.

[Linked Image]

couple things John

1st: what is the field rest you use, that looks pretty handy

2nd: that second shot on the bull hit the neck, no question about it.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What is the "success rate" of these Reupolds,"tested" under such "grueling" "conditions"? Hint.

Fascinating,that Reupold "virtues" REQUIRE said "testing". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
couple things John

1st: what is the field rest you use, that looks pretty handy

2nd: that second shot on the bull hit the neck, no question about it.

That was a Stoney Point Polecat tripod.

I think Primus now is making them.

Polecat tripod

Same as in this video.

I had a short section that offered rear support but that is no longer made.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Noted that the coyote was running after getting footing after rolling off rock. Was it dead?

It died at the bottom of the rolling and was dead tangled up in the sage when we got around to it.

It's pretty kewl you guys get to see and scruntize some HD video of Leupold Virtues used in the field on game.

Wish the OP was as accommodating.

Anime and poorly done range shooting seem to be the best she can muster.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
thanks

No problem. I am just here to do the things which can't be done by the OP.

Leupold Virtues.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Troll is still working on his scrub buck total to get halfway to the number of points you have in that picture. Damn nice bucks

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 7887mm08, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,766
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.