Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized Labrador, because that's all we've had in 50+ years and just love their personalities and bidableness.
I'm getting older, and need a dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV.
My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, except that it's one barking sumvamitch - that ain't gonna work, as I can't stand a mouthy, barking dog.
A rat terrier would likely work, except I have yet to see one that wasn't a barker also.
I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy.

Any suggestions?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cocker spaniel, daughter had one , smart friendly, would let us know if anyone was in the yard, loved to chase squirrels would have been a good hunter if someone had taken the time to train her about 35 pounds of busy pup

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look into a standard schnauzer. Not barky little ankle biters.

They don't shed in the house either, but you need to clip them when they need it. (I do my own clipping)

I've had a standard for 30 years, been through 3 of them. I've never been disappointed with the breed. Scary smart and obedient.

Have giant schnauzers too, but they aren't for amateurs... laugh

Grey one is Bandit, he's a standard. Black one is Bailey, and she's a giant.

They LOVE hunting. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our Miniature Schnauzer only barks when alerting or startled.

He just hit 17 years old earlier this month and has been that way from the beginning.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized Labrador, because that's all we've had in 50+ years and just love their personalities and bidableness.
I'm getting older, and need a dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV.
My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, except that it's one barking sumvamitch - that ain't gonna work, as I can't stand a mouthy, barking dog.
A rat terrier would likely work, except I have yet to see one that wasn't a barker also.
I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy.

Any suggestions?

Maybe go online and look at the local pound and shelters. They might have some dogs you want to go visit in person.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
We had a standard schnauzer. Cancer took him at five years old. We still grieve as he was a very special boy. Super smart and a quick learner.
We have a border terrier now, he’s five months old. He’s a joy, quite a character, energetic and will play by himself. He’ll be a good one to roam the beartooths with

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Look into English Cocker Spaniels out of serious hunting bloodlines. Sounds like one of those would fill the bill.

RS

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would look at Boykins and Tollers smaller and great all around dogs.

I am partial to Tollers only because, one became available before any Boykin breeders.

Maggie was very larger for breed, but was a very nice house dog.
Abby is smaller, and very calm in the house, now her little sister Lucy is only 14 weeks and still full of piss and vinegar!

Maggie
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Abby (ridding to Pheasant hunting last year)

Lucy (fur)

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In this corner, weighing in at 12 pounds... standards go about 30, I understand. They are hounds with said characteristics. Less biddable than Labs, of which we have also had one at the same time, with both of out minis.

Honey is a Lab? mix about 45 lbs.

Last edited by las; 11/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Our Reagan

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a dachshund. They think they're 10' tall and bulletproof. Great lapdogs, hunting and riding companions. I have the recently adopted Bella (who was a barking shît) in 2 months trained to give 2 barks warning and then shuts up. Will keep your feet warm on cold winter nights. Not picky eaters. Always alert. Eager to please whether it be going for a hike, lazing in the recliner or riding around.

I never cared much for these dogs in the past but since mom had to go to the nursing home I was forced to take Bella as my own. In 2 months time she has won my heart.

Last edited by MPat70; 11/25/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Schnoodle

Best dog I've ever had. Smart AF, doesn't shed, good companions.

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/schnoodle#/slide/1

Last edited by lapua6547; 11/25/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A lot of men I grew up around working in the oilfield in Texas had schnauzers bouncing around in the truck with them all over the place. Some blue healers too, but seemed like the schnauzers outnumbered them. My dad had a female standard schnauzer that was the smartest dang dog I have ever been around. It was like she was almost human sometimes.. He took her everywhere, thought it was going to kill him when she died...i don't remember her ever being a big yapper or barker...Not even half as bad or as loud as the shepherds, healers, or labs i've been around.

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 11/25/22.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

Any suggestions?
Brittany spaniel ..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for a schnauzer.
No shedding.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Border Terrier

The alert, good-natured Border Terrier was originally bred to assist in foxhunts by driving foxes out of their hiding places and out into the open for the hounds to chase. Nowadays, they make great family members who adore their humans.

[Linked Image from dogtime.com]

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Standard Schnauzer…….smart, athletic, do not shed, maybe a little big for a true lap dog. If so, look for a larger version of the Miniature Schnauzer……same dog in a smaller package! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
West Highland White Terrier (Westie).

Had mine for almost 17 years. Great personality - liked everyone. Adapted to everyone in the family. Companion to me; playmate for the son; lapdog for the daughter. In later years, great with my very elderly parents - gentle and patient with them.

Very very intelligent. Incredibly easy to house train.

Almost no shedding.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

What do I know, though !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd try an adoption shelter first

Lot'sa nice, intelligent, intermediate sized breeds that will fit the bill.
Blue/red heeler
Black mouth cur
Catahoula, etc, etc.....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.