Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lost my father in 2013. He was my hunting buddy. Couldn't hunt again until 2015. It takes time but it will pass. My condolences to you, I know how hard it can be.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by devnull
My hunting buddy was my son. I cried my eyes out in the stand 5 months later after his death. It was absolutely gut wrenching but I made myself do it as hunting was my what I loved to do. It gets easier but it's never the same. For my own healing, I found it in myself to help someone get into hunting that had never hunted. This is my cousin and we have had some good times together. He's helped me a lot and I hope I've introduced something to him that he has a passion for. I'm sorry for the loss of your Dad. He's there with you...
This hurts. My dad was not a hunter but he bought 2 rifles and a handgun for me before I could do it. My son will get all of my guns but we never seem to get the time to hunt together. I am retiring this year and hunting is something I want to get back into. I just hope he can find the time to join me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Judman
Your Ol man wants you to hunt!! Get your azz out there and get to killin!!👊🏻

Smile like a cat eatin shiit the whole time remembering past hunts!

^ ^ THIS ^ ^

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
This is a normal phase of grieving. I tried hunting the year I lost my daughters. One morning I couldn't even get out of the sleeping bag. You'll need time to heal and you will get back to things you like.

Truth sounds like hate to those who hate truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have my dad's old Rem 721 30-06. He gave it to me when he had to hang it up. Before he died I used it on a moose and a couple deer. After he died, I've taken 1 elk with it. I don't use it a lot because it's too dang heavy and also it has a hinky trigger and safety (thank you Remington). I've thought about putting a Timney on it but that won't help the weight.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Sorry to hear about your dad, I lost mine in February I know how you feel it's awkward.
I decided to go out this year and take his Ruger MKii .308.
Then passing the tradition on to my son and daughter when they get old enough.

Just going out brings back the memories, the best one was going spring turkey hunting for the first time and we wore our blaze orange hunting suits lol seen more dam turkeys that day.

Hope you can get out and enjoy the PA woods.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
You will feel better if you try. All the ideas are well thought out and valid, guess you have to follow your heart, but I think it might be better to be outdoors for a while.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
He will be with you whether you go or not. Id go.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I been lucky enough to draw tags in Montana.

They have a really long season…

I put it off etc. etc. etc.

I always regret it.

Just do it.

Sorry 4 your loss.

Happy Thanksgiving

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss and understand your mixed emotions.

I say go hunting, carry the rifle and put zero expectations on the day. What unfolds, unfolds.

Most of the time anymore, hunting is therapy for me. Somedays, actually shooting something is the only thing that could ruin the day. cool

Arcus Venator
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Dad passed in early October, 2001. I left for a planned solo week of mule deer hunting in just a few weeks later. It was pretty hard to concentrate. I went through all the motions, but cried alot at times. I ended up cutting my trip short after four days. Its a different world after they are gone from it, that's for sure.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you go, he’ll be there with you.

There's always hope as long as there's lead in the air.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I lost my dad in July. I killed a deer with his Marlin 35 last Saturday. It was special for me. Dad wasn’t able to hunt for the past several years but always wanted a full report. When you’re ready take that rifle and kill a deer, you’ll be glad you did.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I’ll give you a piece of advice my dad taught me to hunt like a madman he’s been gone since 2016 get your ass in the woods take his gun and look up to the sky and wink after you drop horn 👍Another piece of advice don’t know if you believe in luck or not but I wear his shirt or his pants just for nostalgia and knowing he’s there with me😉

Last edited by earlybrd; 11/25/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I lost my Dad in January. He would want me to be in the stand opening morning. Sorry for your loss buddy!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make it a point to go . Sitting in the woods reflecting on past hunts and memories has a healing power most won't understand unless you do it. Hunting and fishing gets inside you and it is very difficult to explain to those that have never had experiences in the wild. Go for it he will be there with you whether you know it or not.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Dad passed away on Dec 1, 1997. Last year I stopped on "Ernie's watch" to enjoy the memories. When I cleared the leaves to make a quiet spot to stand I found his whistle. Dads walk with their sons forever as they are the reason we learned to love hunting. Nothing but wonderful memories follow me through the bush.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My condolences regarding your father. I dread the day..

I took my dad this year and it was a not a good time. He barely hunted and had a hard time getting around in the woods. He had some heart problems and surgery since last year and he just has not recovered like we’d hoped. While we enjoyed a campfire and some good food(which is awesome) it’s hard to see your dad in decline. After that my time was erratic in the woods with kids events and whatnot. I got a call while in the stand to be a witness to my best friends DNR order and he died about 5 days later. That’s been tough. We grew up hunting and fishing amongst other stuff. When I was there, the weather was terrible (my son didn’t get a deer yet) and when I was gone it was cold and clear…anyhow I had success early on a nice buck…but yes my season has been a forced attendance lately. The brightest spot was my daughter killed her first deer thanksgiving evening with a 192 yard shot with a 120TTSX out of a 6.5creed! I was above the moon and so proud of her!

Pics https://imgur.com/a/nmaD8dA

Last edited by d500lnn; 11/26/22.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You know, lots of older guys just go to the woods and leave the cartridges at home. Or so I'm told smile
Take it easy and sleep in. Some nice bucks get killed at 11 AM smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
You know, lots of older guys just go to the woods and leave the cartridges at home. Or so I'm told smile
Take it easy and sleep in. Some nice bucks get killed at 11 AM smile

Yes sir you are right. I’ve killed quite a few between 11:00-1:00.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.