Campfire Regular
H
Mountain cur for the win

Hardin284
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I'd try an adoption shelter first

Lot'sa nice, intelligent, intermediate sized breeds that will fit the bill.
Blue/red heeler
Black mouth cur
Catahoula, etc, etc.....

I got a 35-40lb Catahoula mix (gray/black merle) at the shelter a long time ago. He was some kind of cross with a wiener dog or Bassett Hound, as his legs were half-length. Even so, that sucker was athletic as could be and one of the smartest I've had. He was going to get the newspaper in no time. Great little dog. Older lady turned him in at the shelter as she just couldn't give him the time and effort he needed due to her health and age. She came and visited him until he got adopted.

Now with even more aplomb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My rat terrier doesn't bark much. Quite a bit less noise than the schnauzer's I've been around.

He's a great companion, very smart. Really athletic and loves to run (and jump), but also likes to be a lap dog and nap the afternoon away. He does shed though.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm looking for a new pup/dog for a family pet and also for me to take to the farm rambling about, hunting, and riding the ATV. I would love it if there was such a thing as a beagle-sized Labrador, because that's all we've had in 50+ years and just love their personalities and bidableness.
I'm getting older, and need a dog that is small enough to physically handle to get in in and out of the truck and the ATV.
My dad has a miniature schnauzer that fits the bill, except that it's one barking sumvamitch - that ain't gonna work, as I can't stand a mouthy, barking dog.
A rat terrier would likely work, except I have yet to see one that wasn't a barker also.
I don't mind if they give one or two barks of alert when someone comes to the door, but when they won't let up it drives me crazy.

Any suggestions?

Maybe go online and look at the local pound and shelters. They might have some dogs you want to go visit in person.
I have no problem with that, but at least need to know what I'm looking for.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe go online and look at the local pound and shelters. They might have some dogs you want to go visit in person.

Down here, and pretty much every place I know of, pounds and animal shelters are basically one breed, or a mixed breed of the same.... Pit Bulls.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mountain curs, wheelers, and German shorthairs are going to be too big for me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Another vote for Cocker spaniel. I like runts of litter in that breed too. Smaller the better. Better lap dog, better at getting into the smallest, thickest, spots after upland birds.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Down here, and pretty much every place I know of, pounds and animal shelters are basically one breed, or a mixed breed of the same.... Pit Bulls.
Yep, same here in eastern NC.
About a month ago, we began looking for a dog for my daughter. She and I spent the entire day driving to animal shelters within a 2 hr drive of home and only found pit mixes and mixed pits 😄. She finally ended up getting a registered 16 month old Corgi a couple of weeks ago.
He's been great as a pet for her, but he's not athletic enough to be taking to the woods and farm with me. Due to his low ground clearance he pushes leaves through the woods rather than running over them. 😄

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had, beagles, collies, labs, dashounds, mutts,Irish Setter, German short hair, German shepherds, blue heelers, even a full blooded wolf . Don't know about all these other breed posted, the blue heeler wins hand down. I would have another one but when ours past away we started looking and the price was $600,in a year it was $1000.They are sure athletic enough,but do need a job. Not high stung, just a good work work ethic They can be lap dog or go to work on the farm. We referred to ours as velcro dog. About 35-40 pounds. I don't go much for those little ankle biters.

I am a big believer in rescue dogs. We have lab cross right now. They come with some baggage usually, but appreciate the love.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Another vote for Cocker spaniel. I like runts of litter in that breed too. Smaller the better. Better lap dog, better at getting into the smallest, thickest, spots after upland birds.
Cockers are definitely high on my list. However, my dad and wife both said that they are known to be biters; though neither of them have owned one and I'm sure are basing that on hearsay or an example of "1".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been around some Vizslas. If not too big, they might be perfect.
Hunting dog too!

We had a Jack Russel mix.
Great little dog, the mix is key.
100% Jack is 2000lb of energy in a 20lb sac.
200lb of dog aggression.

Casey was great dog.
But even tempered by blood she had the fight instinct.
You could easily piss her off to the point of her wrinkling her lip,
as a warning. Near her end, she got pissy and bit my wife and i
both. Once each. Younger dog, it would have been over.
But she had 13 years of history to temper me. I healed, she had to
be put down soon after.

Hmmmm. Maybe I won't recommend a Jack.
Memory is biased.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have a full blooded Catahoula female that is in the 35 to 37 lb range. She is one of the most athletic dogs that I have ever seen. That said, they don’t make a good lap/couch dog. They typically want a job outside.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Border collie, or perhaps a Heeler.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Yep. Same here.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What do I know, though !

Once again New 2 99’s wins the Internet dog photos award! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Oldest recently got a female mini Australian Shepherd.
Dog is smart, mellow, and affectionate. Wonderful.

Unlike her male full size Australian Shepherd. That guy is a million miles an hr all the time. Yeeesh.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MPat70
Get a dachshund. They think they're 10' tall and bulletproof. Great lapdogs, hunting and riding companions. I have the recently adopted Bella (who was a barking shît) in 2 months trained to give 2 barks warning and then shuts up. Will keep your feet warm on cold winter nights. Not picky eaters. Always alert. Eager to please whether it be going for a hike, lazing in the recliner or riding around.

I never cared much for these dogs in the past but since mom had to go to the nursing home I was forced to take Bella as my own. In 2 months time she has won my heart.

^^^This^^^
If I were to get a lapdog / traveling companion, it would definitely be a dachshund.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Border collie, or perhaps a Heeler.

Every Border Collie I’ve been around was high strung. I had to choose between those 2 breeds, it would be a healer. But both breeds are always looking for something to chase or herd. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
206 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.