Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very little experience with it.
Don't own one, rarely shoot other's guns.

A Sig was ok, didn't like the recoil.

A G22 was ok.

Someone has to mention...the G27 sucked donkey balls.
The grip can pinch a nerve or tendon in my thumb.
Thumb goes numb, but hurts like heck.
My G19 can do it with hot loads, but not as bad.

I'd rather shoot hot 44mags or 45 Colts out of a Blackhawk.
That gets sporty, but doesnt hurt from a single round.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/25/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like it. It'll punch holes in bad guys, that's what it was designed for

Romans 5:1
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A hole in a person is a hole I guess. And the blood is all red.

But going by Speer data, their 124 gr 9 is 1150fps. Their 165 gr. 40 is 1150fps.

No way I can be convinced that with 40 grains(33%) more bullet momentum & a .045" (12%) bigger hole the 40 doesn't do anymore than the 9 does.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the 40 S&W did quantifiably "more" than the 9mm I doubt most agency's would have switched back to the 9mm and the military would have stuck with it.
What is this "more" you speak of? Why would you need "more" to accomplish the task that the 9mm is capable of.
Where does "more" end? .50 S&W?

Last edited by NVhntr; 11/25/22.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9mm scores are better than .40cal in general. It’s a balance thing, I imagine.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t tell any difference in the 40 from the 9 shooting paper. Other than a little difference in recoil. But I usually shoot plates. The plate rack trembles when shot with a 40 or 45. Barley shakes when shot with a 9. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
No complaints with it. I have a couple. 40s left . Pair of G22s for house guns and a G23. I probably wouldn't buy another 40 unless dirt cheap but the ones I have aren't going anywhere. For what it's designed for it works well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BufordBoone
Originally Posted by FreeMe
It turns out that the 40 was just another FBI hoax.
I gave it the attention it deserved.

The FBI didn't invent the .40 S&W. I don't recall the FBI issuing the .40 until the late 90's. I don't think the FBI was even the first LE agency to issue the .40 S&W.

Perhaps it is true that the .40 S&W was created as a result of the FBI adopting a downloaded 10mm but to call it "Just another FBI hoax" is inaccurate - sorta like how lots of people shoot the .40 S&W.

Yeah, at full power it is a handful. Same pressures as a 9mm but heavier bullets? No wonder it kicks more.

The *hoax* was the narrative that the FBI, post Orlando, needed an "upgrade" in pistol caliber. That was really only needed as a diversion from the sorry fact of bad training, among other things.

Or would you rather accept that the current handgun preference is the hoax?

And BTW, that hoax spread across the nation's LEA's and cost us all a lot of money.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No 40’s for me. Have plenty of .45’s and 9’s. A 40 would mean more dies, different brass and components. I didn’t think I needed or wanted one. Didn’t think it would add anything to what I already had.

With modern ammo, the old 9 shines. Not your Grand Dad’s 9.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The *hoax* was the narrative that the FBI, post Orlando, needed an "upgrade" in pistol caliber. That was really only needed as a diversion from the sorry fact of bad training, among other things.

While I believe that this is true, the 115 grain cup and core bullets the police were carrying back then were not as good as the bonded and heavier bullets on the market today. Those were the result of a lot of R&D. The .40 S&W offered better performance with the bullets of the era in which it was invented and became popular.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

While I believe that this is true, the 115 grain cup and core bullets the police were carrying back then were not as good as the bonded and heavier bullets on the market today. Those were the result of a lot of R&D. The .40 S&W offered better performance with the bullets of the era in which it was invented and became popular.

True. But so did the .45acp. Or the .357 FTM.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Sigh. What a bunch of horseshit.

I've loaded some hot stuff for nines, but never have I been able to get a 200gr bullet close to 1100 fps. About 850 was tops. And I mean tops.

And history? You pick a semi-auto cartridge in a defense handgun for history? Interesting priorities. SMH
The same pressure against a smaller diameter bullet will not produce as much velocity in a handgun length barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's true, too. But, .357 was too much for most people to handle effectively and the word "Magnum" scared administrators. In .45 ACP, most of the guns of the era were single action and administrators did not like "cocked and locked" carry. Plus, the guns of the era weren't optimized for hollow points.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a minty used S&W 4006 back in 2008 and really like it.

I was going to use it to shoot close in deer off a raised stand, using the ammo that Mackey-Sagebrush was selling a few months back. I ended up using the .45 ACP ammo that he was selling around the same time. The .45 ACP ammo performed exactly like he said that it would, like a .45 LC, hard cast bullet going through and through. The deer acted almost like an arrow shot deer, they humped up, ran off about 30 yards, started to wobble, and fell over dead.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The only .40 S&W I have is a police trade in Glock 22 that looks to be nearly unused. I think I paid about $350.00 for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's true, too. But, .357 was too much for most people to handle effectively and the word "Magnum" scared administrators. In .45 ACP, most of the guns of the era were single action and administrators did not like "cocked and locked" carry. Plus, the guns of the era weren't optimized for hollow points.

Rationalizations for the hoax. wink

You know I'm not seriously claiming it to be a deliberate and blatant hoax. It's what unrestrained bureaucracies do, without any thought of pulling a fast one. But then one thing leads to another, and here we are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously though.....it was nothing at the time to run 200gr SWC in a 1911. And how hard would it be to make a mild 357 load that still outperformed any 9mm at the time? They could call it the "FBI" load. Oh, wait.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have a para ordinance 1911, 16, 40sw. Like it and sometimes carry it depending on what I'm wearing. Have enough components to reload for it that I'll probably never have to buy ammo from the store for it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Before the .40 S&W, there was the .41 Action Express (AE). This was an earlier effort to put a .40 caliber bullet in a pistol designed for the 9mm. You only needed a conversion barrel for your 9mm pistol and (I'm assuming) a matching magazine.

The cartridge had a rebated rim to match the breach face and extractor of the 9mm, but the case and bullet was otherwise like the .40 S&W.

I had an EAA Witness 9mm (like a CZ-75, but made in Italy) that I converted to .41 AE long before there was any such thing as .40 S&W, back in the late 1980s. I just dropped in the conversion barrel. It's been so long ago, that I cannot remember if you needed a new magazine for it, as well, but if it was needed, I had one of those, too. Seems like that would have been a requirement, but I'm not sure.

The only issue was reliability. I'm not sure if this was common or not, but I quickly dropped the original 9mm barrel back in and gave up on the .41 AE.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Paul Harrell did a comparison between 9mm and .40 S&W in terms of terminal performance and concluded, after several tests, that the .40 was superior to the point where it could actually make the difference between stopping an attacker and failing to stop one. But that has to be balanced against the advantages of the 9mm, e.g., superior controllability and higher capacity.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.