Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've gotten involved with a group that shoots bowling pins one night a week, rotating through various types of firearms. In a few weeks, it will be 22 rimfire night. My wife is perfectly happy to loan me her stock 10/22, but I wonder: Does anyone make an accurate 22 semi-auto that is reasonably budget friendly?

Be not weary in well doing.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Budget semi auto a 10-22 is tough to beat. Sky is the limit for add ons or customization. Might check out the used gun rack in a local pawn shop or gun shop . I picked up a Winchester 490 semi ( mid 70s Canadian made for Winchester). Stuck a 3-9 Nikon I got off the classifieds here on it. It shot surprisingly well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The discontinued Marlin 60s have a good reputation for out of the box accuracy.

When Marlin was still in business I recommended the 60s for the guy who wanted to buy it and shoot it and the 10/22 for the guy who wanted to spend more money to upgrade it and chase smaller groups.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for a Marlin 60 in pawn shops.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Look for a Marlin 60 in pawn shops.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by denton
I've gotten involved with a group that shoots bowling pins one night a week, rotating through various types of firearms. In a few weeks, it will be 22 rimfire night. My wife is perfectly happy to loan me her stock 10/22, but I wonder: Does anyone make an accurate 22 semi-auto that is reasonably budget friendly?

What is your budget exactly? I've been seeing a lot of good 10-22's from $250-$350 used. For a really inexpensive, yet accurate semi auto 22lr, I'd look at a Savage model 64. They always shoot well. Used Remington 597's shoot great and are fairly inexpensive. Savage A22's shoot very well too. Some guys are suggesting the Marlin 60, but that is tube fed. Not your best option in competition oriented shooting. Those guys may not know that? A magazine fed rifle is always the best way to go in this type of shoot.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Smith and Wesson 15-22 that's pretty dang accurate. I have a red dot on mine which helps me be a bit more accurate than using the irons. 25 round magazines and mine has been 100% reliable so far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

What is your budget exactly? I've been seeing a lot of good 10-22's from $250-$350 used. For a really inexpensive, yet accurate semi auto 22lr, I'd look at a Savage model 64. They always shoot well. Used Remington 597's shoot great and are fairly inexpensive. Savage A22's shoot very well too. Some guys are suggesting the Marlin 60, but that is tube fed. Not your best option in competition oriented shooting. Those guys may not know that? A magazine fed rifle is always the best way to go in this type of shoot.

Yep. If reloads are required for the competition.
Brownells use to sell a speed tube Reloader for tube fed 22 lr rifles. But even if you could get one, it still wouldn’t be as fast as changing detachable magazines.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Budget" means different things to different people. It's also important to mention whether you want open sights or something to scope.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Brownells use to sell a speed tube Reloader for tube fed 22 lr rifles. But even if you could get one, it still wouldn’t be as fast as changing detachable magazines.
An aluminum arrow can be used as a speed loader.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How far away are these bowling pins?

I’d show up with my old 15 shot squirrel stock Model 60 and think that I’d be the limiting factor.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
OK, some useful suggestions. Thank you!

Reloading time doesn't matter in the score, and a tube feed is manageable, though it might hold up the other shooters, waiting on me to get ready to fire. I had thought of getting a piece of aluminum tubing and using it as a "speed loader", like the aluminum arrow suggestion....earplug in each end, diagonal cut on the rim end. Yeah, a detachable magazine would be better.

The pins are about 12 yards away. For 22 night, they cut the tops off the pins and shoot at those, so a 22 has enough power to knock them off the table, but of course they are harder to hit.

Maybe the 10/22 is the right answer. Seems like only day before yesterday that you could pick one up for $179 if you watched the sales. I should probably try it once with my wife's gun, and see if I like it. First time for 22 night will be a learning experience.

The Ruger PC9 was a blast on PCC night.

Be not weary in well doing.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Then when it comes time to unload, it's always a hassle. Magazine fed rifles are always faster and safer even. At my club, we don't care much, but it is an inconvenience to the other shooters as well. Not that I really cared either way. We never shot bowling pins with our rifles, but have shot a lot of golf ball shoots. I'm sure the same principles apply. Whoever gets all the pins off the table or all the balls off the strings wins. Probably working with 5 pins on a table. Our club shoots pins with pistols. Keeps us from getting rusty, since I personally don't shoot my pistols much beyond those games.. Hopefully it's head to head competition. Those are always fun to watch. Guys can really lose it when they have to shoot against someone else.. Kind of like they do if they get buck fever.. If it were me, I'd put a red dot on your wife's 10-22 and run it and see how it does. 12 yards for a rifle is very short range and the 10-22 is plenty adequate to make solid hits at that range. I'd expect 5 pins off the table in about 3 seconds or better.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d avoid anything with a “match” or “bentz” chamber, as they are more likely to gum up and cause you trouble, and serious accuracy wouldn’t seem to be needed for pins. OTOH, a good trigger is always helpful, and Ruger makes the BX1 for the 10/22; cheap and decent, if you don’t want to fiddle a stock one yourself.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Marlin 795 is basically a Marlin 60 that uses a detachable magazine rather than a tubular magazine, but I don't know what the magazine capacity is.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The discontinued Marlin 60s have a good reputation for out of the box accuracy.

When Marlin was still in business I recommended the 60s for the guy who wanted to buy it and shoot it and the 10/22 for the guy who wanted to spend more money to upgrade it and chase smaller groups.
Agreed... I have had a M60 for 2-3 decades and it's always shot very well. I gave it to my son a few months ago since he always like to shoot that rifle.. When I bought it (used) I paid about $60 for it. .. laugh

The dang thing just keeps achugging along.. Very simple to maintain. Ejector's easy to adjust if it fails on occasion, and parts can still be found - although it's rare to need any..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll be shooting at a 21 MOA target (2.55" head diameter at 12 yards) so pin point accuracy isn't the top requirement. (Pin point, get it? smile )

Any .22 semi-auto that's in good working order will work. If the rules call for open sights then a longer barrel would obviously be better for the longer sight radius but a consistent trigger squeeze will be more advantageous in competition than a gnat's hair more accuracy, so a decent trigger is probably the main criterion that you'd want to look at in the equipment.

That's where a 10/22 might stand out from others since the trigger pull can be improved in a variety of ways, from cheap up to the sky's the limit.

If'n it were me I'd use the excuse to get a 10/22 LVT, 'cause, ya know, any excuse for a new rifle is a good excuse...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You'll be shooting at a 21 MOA target (2.55" head diameter at 12 yards) so pin point accuracy isn't the top requirement. (Pin point, get it? smile )

Any .22 semi-auto that's in good working order will work. If the rules call for open sights then a longer barrel would obviously be better for the longer sight radius but a consistent trigger squeeze will be more advantageous in competition than a knat's hair more accuracy, so a decent trigger is probably the main criterion that you'd want to look at in the equipment.

That's where a 10/22 might stand out from others since the trigger pull can be improved in a variety of ways, from cheap up to the sky's the limit.

If'n it were me I'd use the excuse to get a 10/22 LVT, 'cause, ya know, any excuse for a new rifle is a good excuse...

Good reasonable post Jim. I have to ask the op, though, are they shooting at the butt end (2.75" actually) or the body, which is 4.75" wide (approximately 41 moa)? I'm not too sure why they cut the top of the pin off? Generally when we shoot pins with pistols, you just set the pin at the backside of the table, so the 22lr will have enough energy to knock the pin off the table. A well hit pin only requires 1 shot to take it cleanly off the table. We shoot at 13 yards with our pistols, so pin point accuracy is not required, but with all games it is nice to have a good shooting weapon. It gives you an edge. Here are some pins I shot with my pistol to show what kind of accuracy I get at the distance we shoot:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That was 13 yards with my medium bore ( I use 9mm or 40S&W), pins set at the middle of the table.

The accuracy of my 22lr pistols, at that distance are about equal to that. So, with a very accurate weapon, you can afford to be a little more sloppy as you speed up in a head to head type competition. As with anything, there is a fine line there. You can run on the ragged edge and not miss, resulting in some damn good times (for me, that is about 2 seconds). Or you can go too fast, above your skill level and lose or miss the targets. The op's shoot sounds like it would be fun. Also wondering if they limit mag capacity in this shoot. Sometimes my club will limit us to 5 rounds per mag, but you can reload a mag if you need to. The better shooters don't reload and will hit all 5 pins. We do this sometimes when a guy wants to bring his revolver out and give it a try. Anymore info the OP can add? Anyone here have a video of the pin shoots they attend? One thing I've noticed is you find out what works and what doesn't work. That goes for firearms. I've seen many pistols get all choked up, as well as their owners. It's always fun though.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I just had an excuse to order a stainless LVT. It should show up by the end of the week.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nylon Remington.

Just kidding, hard to beat a 10/22, factory triggers leave something to be desired, ruger offers a upgrade for about 80 bucks, other more expensive options abound.
Trigger and mag/bolt release are worthwhile IMO

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
400 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.