Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
If you’ve been to a good outfitter to hunt turkey , share the info if you don’t mind , thanks

Last edited by EFHutton; 11/25/22.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EFHutton
If you’ve been to a good outfitter to hunt turkey , share the info if you don’t mind , thanks

Would love to help you!
Due to the pox/flu/virus or whatever you choose to call it, the turkey population here in southern Oklahoma (near Wichita Falls, TX) has taken a really big hit.
Populations here once afforded a turkey hunter one fall bird and three spring birds.
The limit now is TWO!
One fall.
One spring.
There is a "guide" down on Red River, but I'm not sure he's even advertising turkey these days.

Good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not much help.............

I only use an outfitter where public access is impossible or next thing to it.

If you're ever headed to Mexico for Gould's or Ocellated, I will put in a plug for my buddy Manuel of El Halcon Lodge & Outfitters. Six stars outta five.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you're interested in a Merriam, I can recommend the diamond 7 bar in northeast Wyoming. I haven't hunted with them, but my wife and I stayed there and I know a few people who have turkey hunted there. They are solid folks and will give you a good hunt.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I also have an outfitter contact in eastern Wy. He does shotgun and bow. Actually he hunts in far western Nebraska. If interested, pm me.

Last edited by dale06; 11/27/22.

NRA Patron
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
It’s harder and harder to find an honest outfitter or a guide to pay a trespass too. As more and more turkey hunting videos surface of reaping, traveling for the Super Slam, and the over publicity and exposure of some states, you have a lot of folks trying to capitalize on being “guides” and such.

With decreasing populations, and increased pressure, turkey numbers in most of the country are just not what they used to be. I’ve traveled for turkey hunting for a long time. I’ve had some good hunts where I paid for access, and I’ve had some bad ones.

Best thing to do is find an area of the country that’s not experiencing the bad declines in population, and a state that may not be a traditional hot spot may not carry as much pressure.

Check up on the outfitters or guide and try to manage your expectations as well.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Get an iowa Turkey tag and hunt public ground. Plenty of birds to be had. At least in my experience.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I turned my duck hunting buddy into a turkey hunter and now he wants to go on a Merriam hunt in NE Nebraska or South Dakota and he's willing to pay for a guide.

Got any referrals in those areas?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by humdinger
I turned my duck hunting buddy into a turkey hunter and now he wants to go on a Merriam hunt in NE Nebraska or South Dakota and he's willing to pay for a guide.

Gobble &Grunt Outfitters in Nebraska. They've got properties over run with birds. At least they were 15 years ago. I hunted with them twice. The second time I had 3 tags. I could have filled them all with one shot. I let the birds separate so I only killed two. Filled my 3rd tag the next morning. The river bottom sounded like a barnyard full of gobblers. Never heard anything like it.

I killed my first Merriam in south Dakota in the black hills national forest on my own. Me and 2 friends all killed birds in a week trip.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Originally Posted by humdinger

Gobble &Grunt Outfitters in Nebraska. They've got properties over run with birds. At least they were 15 years ago. I hunted with them twice. The second time I had 3 tags. I could have filled them all with one shot. I let the birds separate so I only killed two. Filled my 3rd tag the next morning. The river bottom sounded like a barnyard full of gobblers. Never heard anything like it.

I killed my first Merriam in south Dakota in the black hills national forest on my own. Me and 2 friends all killed birds in a week trip.

$$$

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by EFHutton

I wish I could help but I've never paid to hunt

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I sure wouldn’t pay one in TX because it almost guarantees someone’s going to try to sit you near a feeder.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.