Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I went to a pheasant farm the other day with a friend, and it was her first time hunting birds. Normally, I bring a spare rifle, but this time I did not. My Benelli's have never let me down... in 15 or so years. I broke this one down (an M2 model)and cleaned it a couple months ago and have used it once since then and it functioned flawlessly. On this day, the snow was melting and the dirt was pretty slimy... while trying to climb small hill I was slipping and sliding. One slide in particlur ended up with the gun in the grass, and got some mud on the bolt and in the action. What a bone head move on me.

I fairly easily cleaned the visible mud out, but the rest of the day the gun would not fire. I could hear the firing pin moving forward but the primer was not marked. Cycled it repeatedly and tried to warm it up etc (only 40 degrees, shouldnt have been too cold). Could not get the gun to fire. I am going to break it down and clean it again and suspect I will find some mud or dirt somewhere that slowing things down enough to make it not function. My other thought was the Lucas Gun Oil I used. Any chance it would get to be too thick in 40 degree temps and slow things down? I will find out tonight I guess.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Cleaned the M2 today. I have not been able to test fire it yet, but I did not find any material in the bolt, or around the firing pin that should have slowed it down. i followed a different youtube video that showed a deep clean, it involved cleaning the recoil / buffer tube etc. There was significant build up around the sliding plug/bolt in the buffer tube. I dont think that would slow down the firing pin at all but I am glad I got it cleaned up. One thing is for sure, when I have it put back together, its smooth and slick. I am certain it will work fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could it be possible that some mud or gunk prevented the bolt from fully locking up?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MOGC
Could it be possible that some mud or gunk prevented the bolt from fully locking up?

When the trigger was pulled, I could hear the click and I could hear the noise in the action of things moving. Its possible it was just the trigger group pieces moving. I did need to occasionally give it a nudge forward to fully close, normally the first time in the day. Not anymore.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Goggle Benelli Click, it is a common problem. The bolt comes out of battery

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/benelli-click.1052220/

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Benelli click when the bolt isn't quite all the way forward actually the bolt is but the head is not. but some types of oil if they have set very long can get really thick and sluggish. someday need to make a comprised list of oils that are not good for long-term usage or storage..

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Paying attention and always looking to learn...

My Benellis have without doubt been my most bullet-proof autoloading shotguns over the years and personally would not want to put up with a gas operated shotgun again, especially in the field. Mine have all been Montefeltros except for a recently purchased Legacy 28 (I wish they had made a 28g Monte with a field rib!)

I have experienced the Benelli "click", always at the most inopportune time on a flush. My feeling/experience is that it is MY problem easing the bolt down after reloading the chamber from the magazine, ie after transport, crossing a fence, etc., NOT the gun's fault. The gun is just not an Auto-5 that way (good for the fingers!) I could see a gummed-up bolt head/extractor having the same effect and I would have no one to blame but myself on that one but that has not been my experience over the years.

Extremely cold temperatures/ice are always a suspect when it comes to reliability with anything mechanical, ie. think of the de-greasing recommendations for use of firearms in the harsh conditions of the arctic.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by pullit
Goggle Benelli Click, it is a common problem. The bolt comes out of battery

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/benelli-click.1052220/

Interesting read and I have experienced the bolt not fully closing. Usually i get no noise at that time. One thought with the Benelli click though, I could not get the gun to fire. I tried warming it, went through 10 rounds or more, made sure everything was closed and functioning but I could not get it to fire the rest of the day. It became an expensive walking stick for the most part.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My benellis get full of all kinds of mud, sand, vegetation and still cycle.

Full break down needed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had the "click" a few times while pheasant hunting. I was told that the spring was weak in it and allowed the bolt to come out of battery while walking. I sold the gun because of the issue, and before I knew what the cure might have been.
I have had a few Benelli's but only had the issue with one of them.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.