Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Who’s having good luck with FC?

Not I in general, and I’ve tried most of the major players products,

Looks like the lakes are freezing up quickly here and I’m already missing open water, managed 3 hours today before the chill set in.

So, what kind of FC you using and in what lb test.

1. Spinning setup used for bass fishing, 2 or 3 power rods while using 8 to maybe 10 lb test mono.

2. Baitcasting setup, again bass but it 3 or 4 power rods, From tubes to worms to jig-n- pig. Normally using braid with a FC leader (at times) but would not mind a full spool of FC, FC does have several positive quality’s.

The issues with FC for me, memory and stiffness, any tips on spooling or line treatments?

TIA.

GB2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only use it jigging for crappie and bass when using shiners on jig poles. I can wrestle the fish out of cover or pull stuck hook out of wood. Don't remember brand off hand but 17lb. is what I use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used it for leaders with braided line and as trolling line on clear water lakes, works well. Tried casting it with both spinning and baitcasters, no thanks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Why not just use a leader of FC? Do it all the time with 2lb fishing for rainbow trout up to 15lb fishing for speckled trout and Red Drum.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Why not just use a leader of FC? Do it all the time with 2lb fishing for rainbow trout up to 15lb fishing for speckled trout and Red Drum.

This is what I ended up doing.

I run mainline of bright yellow Fireline and Alberto knot to long FC leader, or an improved San Diego jam knot to a micro barrel swivel.

The one thing I’ve observed about FC is that the palomar that I‘ve always run with braid & mono causes it to cut itself so I’ve learned the Improved San Diego jam knot instead.

I’ve run FC as main line on spinning rigs but it’s very prone to line twist & memory which is a pretty serious PITA. It just wasn’t worth it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Never fully spooled FC usually just use it as a leader. Seems to work just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried it on my spinning reels for a while. It was not a good experience. Now I use it for a leader with Nanofil or braid as my main line. I also use Fluorocarbon a lot as a leader while fly fishing. Some days it really makes a difference whether you get hit or not if the fish are being super picky. Love it as a leader, hate it as a main line. Oh and one last thing you have to check that leader often. One little nick in the line and it will break.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best/toughest flurocarbon leader material I've used is P Line Shensei. I was getting a lot of nicks and breaks with a couple of the name brand fluro leaders when Senko or Ned Rig bass fishing. I've used it in several different weights and it holds up a lot better, is as easy to ty and catches as many fish as the other brands. Probably more as I'm not having to tie on new leaders when I could be fishing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been a complete convert to FC. On the other hand, except for abrasion resistance, mono leaves some to be desired. I switched over to Yozuri Hybrid a long time ago. It's a good compromise between the two.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will never use it for my mainline again. Too much memory and twisting. I just stick with braid with a flouro leader.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use braid (PowerPro or Suffix 832) with Fluoro leader all the time, even for pike. I see no need to deal with the headaches of a fluoro mainline.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I said above the only time I've used fluro as main line is when trolling in clear water lakes and it's good for that IMO. I've not done well with it as a main line either on a baitcaster or a spinning reel. The only people I've seen using it successfully with no line mgmt problems are the pros on the fishing shows and maybe if they have trouble with it it's edited out or since they fish a lot more than most of us they've learned how to use it.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 03/02/23.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I tried it in Costa Rica as leader material for tarpon. Very heavy line. I also tried some in a gin clear lake in Ontario trolling musky, I think it was 17lb.
In both cases I did just as well using Stealth moss green line, 100lb and 80lb.
Maybe it was just the way I was doing it that gave equal results?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’ve used it as leaders and still don’t care for it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've been using about 6' of it tied to my mono as a long leader for trout. I don't know if I get any more strikes than I did with low vis 4 or 6 pound mono.

For me it seems like kind of a pain for not noticeably better results.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
130# Fluoro leaders for Muskie count? Use it religiously.

Bass? Can't help you there.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We use it for leader here in the salt. Never seen anyone down my way using for a main line. I use seagar just because I always have. Water here is somewhat clear and warm. I don't know how much it helps but it never gave me any headaches.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It flat out sucks on spinning gear.... too much memory (coils).on my spinning set ups I run braid mainline and 10-20 ft leader of flouro for deep drop shotting and Neko rigs.

The only two instances I use a full spool of flouro is for cranking if I am trying to get max depth (flouro sinks).... this is only with super deep diving crank baits (20ft plus).... less than that and you can just use a deeper diving crank. The other is on my deep football jig rods. Flouro is better at detecting strikes on a "semi" slack line. I use Seagar yellow label usually in 10,12, and 15lb. This is also only on baitcasters. There isn't ANY scenario where I would suggest using flouro as a mainline on a spinning reel.

On most other techniques I use braid mainline either direct or with a Mono leader..... I like power pro max quatro braid and Maxima ultra green for mono.

Also important to note is that when using braid is to pair it up with a softer or lighter action rod.... braid not having any stretch can lead to a frustrating day if you are using something like small treble hooks and a stiff rod.

Last edited by hardway; 03/12/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P-Line CX - NOT CXX - is my preferred for UL Spinning, 6#, memory no issue.......it's a hybrid Copolymer, FC coated Mono.

If you have not tried it......check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
756 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 91 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,075
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.