Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not rich by any means, but I’m gonna spend what it takes to do what I like to do.

I’m shooting more now than ever before, usually two or three times a week, although going to the woods might pre-empt one of those sessions. Have made it a priority to enjoy all the stuff I’ve been buying all these years. I’m almost 71. If not now, when? What am I gonna do, have them fill up the empty spaces in my coffin with powder, primers, and .22LRs?

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I can't believe the posts in this thread talking about price gouging and other reloaders being greedy. The price of a dozen eggs has damn near tripled in the last year at my local grocery store. The price of diesel is through the roof and when you buy 1000gals at a time it smarts. If you want decent service at a store the owners have to pay a decent wage that's gonna make sure the employees earn enough to drive to work and have a reasonable life.

Anytime government prints up a few trillion dollars out of thin air prices are going to rise and rise big. That's why they do it. It increases the tax revenue relative to the debt.

I've never seen anyone forced to buy reloading supplies and I don't see anything wrong with powder companies or retailers charging a fair price for their products and the last thing I'm worried about is some old farts on social security socking away a few of their bucks by buying some more powder, primers, or other hard assets to shelter themselves a little from inflation in their old age. What I am concerned about is what this stuff will cost in two or three years time, because I have a feeling these are the good old days.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BSA,

I did not know that about the original poster. I can honestly say I dislike people of that nature. They have deep seated problems if they are like that or became that way....greed, gluttony call it what you will, it is a rot from the inside out. I do not pity them, I see them for what they are.

Yes, I have told stores their prices are to high...."no thank you" said loud enough to bother them. Do not mistake my kind words as being said in a kind tone. Its fun to see them squirm as you have now called attention to their deed.

Ears cannot be shutoff.

Yes, I have gotten them to sell it to me at a lower cost....BUT....if they wont come down to a price you can compare it to at another location....then I say " NO THANK YOU, YOUR GOUGING YOUR CUSTOMERS.". I am out no money and they have nothing but my words said loud enough for the 12 people in ear shot to hear it in the gun store.....The shop owners were not happy...twice. Having "a set" and still have my cash is worth the "no thank you"......just to burn them publicly.

Anyway.....I am not going to give them my emotions as that is a win for them. Cool and calm with the truth hurts way more...and it works so well.

Best
HeavyDove

Last edited by HeavyDove; 11/01/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gee, Hodgdon bought IMR then Accurate/Ramshot (75%+ of US market??), and prices have dramatically gone up. Gee willikers.

Murphy was a grunt.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Not rich by any means, but I’m gonna spend what it takes to do what I like to do.

I’m shooting more now than ever before, usually two or three times a week, although going to the woods might pre-empt one of those sessions. Have made it a priority to enjoy all the stuff I’ve been buying all these years. I’m almost 71. If not now, when? What am I gonna do, have them fill up the empty spaces in my coffin with powder, primers, and .22LRs?

that would just cause someone to dig up your remains and steal the powder and primers.... Campfire Grave Robbers smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WildHare
I've never seen anyone forced to buy reloading supplies and I don't see anything wrong with powder companies or retailers charging a fair price for their products and the last thing I'm worried about is some old farts on social security socking away a few of their bucks by buying some more powder, primers, or other hard assets to shelter themselves a little from inflation in their old age.

This old fart has been on social security for several years and I still like to shoot, hunt, and reload. Don’t begrudge me my enjoyment in my old age.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My local shop had 2 or 3 pounds of Varget in stock the other day for $54.95 a pound. He immediately apologized for the crazy price but I understand and I know he isn’t trying to gouge. I have a few pounds and I don’t need it as bad as others so I passed. It’s a sign of the times that has affected EVERY aspect of our modern life….inflation, supply/demand are external forces outside of the control of the retailer or end consumer.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought Enforcer for my big bores...$34.95

296 was $54.95.

Why?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by fremont
Gee, Hodgdon bought IMR then Accurate/Ramshot (75%+ of US market??), and prices have dramatically gone up. Gee willikers.

Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner!

Spot on. Powder distribution is largely a monopoly. I doubt that Alliant, Shooters World and VV together control as much of the market as the big H.

405wcf

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My local shop had 2 or 3 pounds of Varget in stock the other day for $54.95 a pound. He immediately apologized for the crazy price but I understand and I know he isn’t trying to gouge. I have a few pounds and I don’t need it as bad as others so I passed. It’s a sign of the times that has affected EVERY aspect of our modern life….inflation, supply/demand are external forces outside of the control of the retailer or end consumer.

Was just at BPS and Sportsman’s yesterday and they both had powder. Didn’t find what I wanted so went to my LGS to see what they had. No one had what I was looking for, but I did notice that Varget and Benchamrk were both $3 a pound cheaper than a few weeks earlier. Maybe prices are starting to drop, maybe.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hudge: Well that is an encouraging observation of yours - I hope it is a "sign".
But around my neck'o the woods there have been NO price "decreases" on any loading component I have run across.
Again I hope you are on track with your contention.
Something weird is going on in the loading component industry right now - and for the last two years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hudge: Well that is an encouraging observation of yours - I hope it is a "sign".
But around my neck'o the woods there have been NO price "decreases" on any loading component I have run across.
Again I hope you are on track with your contention.
Something weird is going on in the loading component industry right now - and for the last two years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Well, I had to run to another store last night with the wife to get a few things. I swung by the reloading section, and they had H4831SC and H4350. Sad to say, it was $2-$5 more a pound than what the shipment was they got back in October.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am just guessing this shortage and inflation will never return to previous levels. This one is just different than those in the past. Longer, broader swath of products and just too many outsides pressures including our government’s war on the Second Amendment.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Varmint Guy:

Keep you eyes open for people getting out of reloading, and not necessarily because they are out of components but because they are out of strong legs, eyesight, hunting spots, or the other things that push us to bingo and warmer climates.

I have a friend 80+ who just sold me a #8 of 4831 for $200. I've also found plenty of components at estate sales.

Heck, don't just keep your eyes open. Wait until the roads are good and place a couple "wanted" ads in the Nickel papers from Billings to Kalispell, and see what comes of it. Let your local estate disposal company/auction house know you are interested in partial cans. You might be pleasantly surprised.

GC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I am just guessing this shortage and inflation will never return to previous levels. This one is just different than those in the past. Longer, broader swath of products and just too many outsides pressures including our government’s war on the Second Amendment.

I think we may see prices decline some, but not much. I think maybe $3-5 a pound drop and that’s it. Shipping prices are up on everything, so that will help keep prices high. I didn’t start loading until 2019, but had been stocking stuff away for 4 years prior. I don’t think I’ll ever see $30 for 1,000 primers again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
At least it is available try finding RL 26 or rl 33 or retumbo. I would gladly pay $50 a pound for any of them

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Bought Enforcer for my big bores...$34.95

296 was $54.95.

Why?

Powder Valley had free shipping yesterday with $199 orders.....plus haz mat

My retail powder sources are next to none

Did stop at SW in Provo Utah 3 weeks ago....looking for #9 or Longshot

Ha......They had 4 one pounders on the shelf of odd ball stuff

Ordered some #5...#9...Titegroup...Longshot which came to $31.75/pound shipped

Iffin you were local......have a near full jug of H110......use in my 300 BO...but AA1680 works better

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/winchester-296/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just picked up a pound of IMR-4350 for $38.99! I’m not complaining about that. They had Alliant powders at $47.99! I could use another pound or two of RL22 but not that bad!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
All y'all probably gonna hate me when I tell you that I just took delivery yesterday of an 8 lb jug of H4350 for $120 bucks. With shipping and hazmat the total came to $193 bucks. I never get a deal!

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
All y'all probably gonna hate me when I tell you that I just took delivery yesterday of an 8 lb jug of H4350 for $120 bucks. With shipping and hazmat the total came to $193 bucks. I never get a deal!

and apparently you're not gonna share, with your good campfire buddies, what the source was!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
574 members (10gaugeman, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.