Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Been cleaning that RU 77 purchased .270 take-off barrel for a month now, including a 10 day soak while I was out of state, and 3X JB bore scrub.

Yesterday, I tackled my least-shot barrel, > 150 rnds XTR fwt 70 7mm. A couple iterations with wet patch, brush, dry patches and they looked alike! It got a JB scrub and both are now barrel down with Bore-Tek - and hang the slight grey rifling marks- I suspect they are steel marks anyway.

What the heck- they were both shooting well anyway....

Now, my .338WM Tanger purchase dused 30 years or so ago, - also MOA, which I started on tonight. It's a brassy SOB! 4 iterations wet patch /dry patches, still coming out blue. Soaking...

I'm doing this why???

Well, once in anyone's life-time, maybe the guns should be cleaned????? Really cleaned???

Not that IGAF as long as they shoot well- which they do, or did..... smile
It's a winter hobby. Probably meaningless.

With my luck, it's gonna fug up the accuracy of some of my half-dozen....

Last edited by las; 11/25/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just remember……….

Everyday you don’t like AK,

There’s plenty that’ll go…

We at 72* in the dirty south…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Been cleaning that RU 77 purchased .270 take-off barrel for a month now, including a 10 day soak while I was out of state, and 3X JB bore scrub.

Yesterday, I tackled my least-shot barrel, > 150 rnds XTR fwt 70 7mm. A couple iterations with wet patch, brush, dry patches and they looked alike! It got a JB scrub and both are now barrel down with Bore-Tek - and hang the slight grey rifling marks- I suspect they are steel marks anyway.

What the heck- they were both shooting well anyway....

Now, my .338WM Tanger - also MOA, which I started on tonight. It's a brassy SOB! 4 iterations wet patch /dry patches, still coming out blue. Soaking...,

I'm doing this why???

Well, once in anyone's life-time, maybe the guns should be cleaned????? Really cleaned???

Not that IGAF as long as they shoot well- which they do, or did..... smile
It's a winter hobby. Probably meaningless.

With my luck, it's gonna fug up the accuracy of some of my half-dozen....
I just hope they’ll still go bang!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, I've used a couple of them as tarp poles before.

They wouldn't even need to be re-assembled for that.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Are you using a brass jag and phosphorus bronze brush? I went to an aluminum jag from Dewey to eliminate the false blue readings. If you have a bore scope you should be able to tell if it’s clean or not. Phosphorus brushes will give out false blue readings also. Get a Teslong Bore Scope and it will surprise you about your cleaning but you will be able to see if it’s really clean or not. Used to look down the bore and see a bright clean barrel, bought a Teslong Bore Scope and was really surprised about the clean, bright shiny barrel that was still not clean.

IC B2

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes bronze brush, and jag , to start with, then nylon brush . Caught short tho- had to use my .30 nylon for final -local SW is way short of that stuff. Gonna order stuff I need for all my calibers on line tonight.

Nah, I'm a heathen. Bore scopes cost... and I'm not that into expenditure.

If the damned thing goes bang and the critter falls over, I'm good. The rest is anal retentive....

I'm getting a little puckered tho.... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Nah, I'm a heathen. Bore scopes cost... and I'm not that into expenditure.

What you don't know, can't hurt you (or so they say)

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not looking for pain, man. smile. Ignorance is bliss....

I used to have a M98 .30-06.- bore pitted to hell, but once it had 15 rounds through it, it shot 1.25 MOA. Killed a ton- several tons, actually, of moose and caribou with the thing. I only cleaned about every 3 years. Mildly....

Loaned it to a brother- he pawned it for couchie money.

I miss that old gun- she was named "Jezebel".

She'd been around the block a time or two, her action was a bit loose, but if you held her tight and squeezed her gently, you could get her off and make your meat go limp.

I'd take her backpack caribou hunting 10-12 miles from the trail-head. Didn't mind stashing her under a log for a week or 3 if I didn't score the first trip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am terrible about bore scrubbing but I do have it on the winter to do list. That old 721 300 H&H has several hundred rounds through it and has never been scrubbed. My 280 that was built in 1990 has never been scrubbed either. They shoot in the same hole so never saw the need.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by firefighter5318
Get a Teslong Bore Scope and it will surprise you about your cleaning but you will be able to see if it’s really clean or not. Used to look down the bore and see a bright clean barrel, bought a Teslong Bore Scope and was really surprised about the clean, bright shiny barrel that was still not clean.

I was real happy with a lot of my guns, then I bought a damned Teslong scope. smirk

The only time I run a patch down a bore now is to get moisture out or shove the spiders out.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B3

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We are gonna get banned, you know...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 12 invisible), 1,573 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.