Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Have a couple rifles that could go this route. Too much fuss for little gain? I know it could slow down case trimming. 80-100 fps increase?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, not worth the gain.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have used the.243 A.I. a bunch, they work great but I wouldn't do it over again, I would fast twist a standard .243, to shoot the longer heavier bullets and forget the A.I. the twist takes the .243 in to another world. not the A.I. or get a 6 CM problem solved. Rio7

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I like the 243 AI a lot. But I don't think you're going to notice much difference over the parent, except in the lack of trimming. I certainly saw velocity gains with top loads and slowest powders. Impressive gains. I'm probably loading pretty warm, though.

I like to try novel things. If you're the same, go for it.

Should add that I got a 1:8 25" barrel to shoot the longest bullets. That makes more difference in my mind than just hogging out a slower twist.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 11/25/22. Reason: Addition

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What are the EXACT particulars,of said platforms? Make/Model,stock,feed style/base/rings/glass and finally the application(s) for same. Hint.

I of course,shoot both. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just built a 7-08 this year. Considered the AI, but decided against it. If you’re hand loading, and want the slight improvement, you could do the 7 SAW. It is pretty much the same as 7-08AI, but WTO has brass in stock for it typically. The brass is made by Alpha so it is as good as you will find.

In the 243, I’d do exactly as RIO7 said…..6 Creed makes that easy and minimizes mag box constraints.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Montana 7mm08, 22" barrel Tract Toric 2-10X42. Deer hunting, big cutovers, steep mtn areas, power lines, long open mtn ridges

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a Montucky,you are hamstrung goodly,by COAL and RPM. Rather than push schitty projectiles faster,I'd be inclined to up BC instead,because it will connect far more dots and by default. Plus you'll lose(1) round of mag capacity,within said transformation,in that platform. Hint.

GOOD brass and bushing dies(expanderless,wearing .003" constriction),will capably nip trimming. While far from ideal,the Hornie 162's('Max,BTHP,EDL-X and M) leap nicely and I'd be in ELD-M Mode,at 2700fps ala '17. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
In a Montucky,you are hamstrung goodly,by COAL and RPM. Rather than push schitty projectiles faster,I'd be inclined to up BC instead,because it will connect far more dots and by default. Plus you'll lose(1) round of mag capacity,within said transformation,in that platform. Hint.

GOOD brass and bushing dies(expanderless,wearing .003" constriction),will capably nip trimming. While far from ideal,the Hornie 162's('Max,BTHP,EDL-X and M) leap nicely and I'd be in ELD-M Mode,at 2700fps ala '17. Hint................

Why the M over the X?

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Moses
Have a couple rifles that could go this route. Too much fuss for little gain? I know it could slow down case trimming. 80-100 fps increase?

The biggest reason I AI’d a 243 was bbl life—something 243’s fall a bit short of. I used a new T/O Rem bbl on a M700 receiver which has a 9.125 twist, good enough to stabilize 103g Hornadys at the 6k altitude of my shooting range.

According to a good friend who is a 6mm loony a 243AI has a significantly longer bbl life. He borescoped my bbl at the beginning with his Hawkeye, I now a have Teslong, and compared to another new 243 M700 I have there is definitely less throat erosion/surface cracking with a comparable number of rounds.

I’m about to do this with another 243.

As far as velocity goes I wasn’t really looking for any big gain in velocity so my loads are running 50-75 fps faster with RL26.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In like diameter/mass,the ELD-M BC's are better than ELD-X's. As a 7-08 goes,it's exceptionally projectile friendly,due the launch speed of same and the increased BC,simply retains more of the initial,in exchange for higher impact velocity(less drop/drift too). Hint.

To be "nicer" to barrels,one can't increase case size/capacity at like pressure and have them "wear better". Hint.

In a 700's confines,I'd rather be squirting .620 BC 112's via Seex Kreed,than anything in 243 or 243AI. So I'd happily rebarrel in kind,rather than punch out an OEM,mainly because I've done it both ways and more than a few times. Borescopes likely hurt more than they "help",because visual seeds ain't mechanical connections. "Accuracy" and "life" can't be "seen". Yesssssss...I have a fhuqking borescope. Hint..................(grin)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I built a .243 Ackley to chase speedgoats and it works well for that. I also made it something of a monster to haul in the field, with a McM A5 stock and a heavy contour barrel.

I can't remember why I went this way but I can't really recommend it to anyone else. For me, it was just scratching an itch.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have two, the 280 AI and 338-06AI. I like the fact that the 280 AI is a recognized cartridge and it doesn’t need fire forming when you reload and buy the brass. The 338-06 AI is noticeably better than a standard 338-06. At least I noticed an advantage. The cool thing about the 338 is that it’s a nice alternative to a magnum and you only charge 58-60 grains of powder instead of 90+ in the magnums. You don’t feel as guilty shooting it a little more since you get more per pound than a magnum. I am considering getting a 22-250 AI built because the new heavy, 80+ grain bullets look very attractive in that package especially since it’s 100+ fps faster than the un-improved. It looks dang sexy too, maybe the cutest cartridge I’ve seen. I considered a 223 AI but decided against it since I have the 223 in a bolt and a few AR Varminters and it would be so close to the performance I’m used to that it’s not worth it for me. The 22-250 AI will meet the goals I have in a 224 caliber and save me frustration and clutter when loading. Fire forming does suck sometimes though. I have a 22 K Hornet and I think I would have been better off with a standard 221 fireball. I fire-formed about 600 pieces since I’ve had it and those are shots I can’t get back and could be called unnecessary wear and tear on the barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 'em(243AI's) in all shapes/sizes through the years. Original impetus,was to add some velocity and not exceed OEM confines,if only because there was no real good way to do so. Hint.

These really are THE Good Old Days,due the advancements in range determination,projectiles,barrels and scopes to guide same. Back when everything was a series of guesses,business was conducted differently,because there was no "options". I can now shoot far lesser powder charges,with better ES/SD's and vastly improved BC's,while basking in the sanctity of far greater effective range and much improved terminal effects. Win/win/win. Hint.

I've got quite a few Seek Kreeds,none slower than 8" RPM or faster than 7". No thang to squirt .620 BC's at 3050FPS from a 21-incher and that is Big Medicine,with a pile driving ass. Hint.

I of course have a pile of 22-250AI's and I think (5) 224 Speedmires,none slower than 8",nor faster than 7". Last I counted,I had (13) 223AI's and prefer it for Utility. None of them shoot anything less than a 75 ELD,with many aligned for 88's and 90gr Beer Cans(.585 BC). Have a "few" 22 KHorn's too. Hint.

RPM/COAL/Throat Geometry,are what connect dots,if only because like always...bullets matter more than anything else. Hint................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice post, Larry

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Stick, as I mentioned my main objective was bbl life. It seems shoulder angle is also a factor in throat erosion and the 243 has the shoulder and short neck to promote that erosion.

I also have less than $200 into two new Rem SS T/O bbls, and SS lasts longer than cm bbls. The Rem twist limits me to lower BC bullets, but is still better than (most) factory twists.

Someday I’ll probably go the route of a custom bbl, a 8 twist 6 CM, will probably be my choice.

For now the 243 AI is plenty fun and goes where I want to go.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
mouthtexas,

You are sucking the wrong ass. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

'pine,

Oh believe me,I get to HEAR it all and them some. My "trouble" is,I shoot it all. Hint.(grin)

I live in THE World's highest density per capita,of 243AI's,whether punched OEM spouts or Custom. Can't cuss it,but having BT/DT and with ALL the T-shirts,less IS more. Big Green has long done the 243 Win righter than most and lots of us here,punched 'em out. BC will simply RELIABLY outpace case capacity and a Skookum 6BR will reliably blow fhuqking minds(I've a few). Hint.

The Hornie 103 has a .512 BC. The Hornie .224" ELD-M has a .545 BC and same in a Vanilla 22-250,will outpace a 243AI/103. "Probably" easier on barrels too. I shoot it all and often side by each,which do tend to reveal muchly. Hint.

Less is soooooooo very often more..........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
mouthtexas,

You are sucking the wrong ass. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

'pine,

Oh believe me,I get to HEAR it all and them some. My "trouble" is,I shoot it all. Hint.(grin)

I live in THE World's highest density per capita,of 243AI's,whether punched OEM spouts or Custom. Can't cuss it,but having BT/DT and with ALL the T-shirts,less IS more. Big Green has long done the 243 Win righter than most and lots of us here,punched 'em out. BC will simply RELIABLY outpace case capacity and a Skookum 6BR will reliably blow fhuqking minds(I've a few). Hint.

The Hornie 103 has a .512 BC. The Hornie .224" ELD-M has a .545 BC and same in a Vanilla 22-250,will outpace a 243AI/103. "Probably" easier on barrels too. I shoot it all and often side by each,which do tend to reveal muchly. Hint.

Less is soooooooo very often more..........

Lets all do more with less... Stumpy puts on a suit and tie and joins corporate America?

That saying went out the window 22 years ago Stumpy....even when you make sense.... you still make NO SENSE...

Only you can put that off.... It ain't easy being Schtick, but we gotta give you This... you're always out there battin' even if you only strike out...
once in a blue moon, you actually get a piece of one tho...

how long did it take you to figure out BC, matters more than powder capacity? that's so simple, even Hutch can tell ya that...

Oh, wait a minute.. now I get it... you tout that because you learned the obvious from your Dog.. the image get clearer....

Get Hutch a bone for us, for helping you out once again... you're sure lucky to have such a smart dog.. now if you'll just stop drinking and get around to taking a bath once a month, but ol Hutch would be a lot more happier dog...but we won't hold our breathe on that one....

Pleasant dreams Stumpy.. hope ya don't wake up on the concrete face down in front of the fireplace again in the morning, with mayonnaise all over your ass, and a pair of quarters in your hand...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

Pardon wares that exist,while you wax eloquent on your Manic Delusional Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Typical .243" bore size outing. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In like diameter/mass,the ELD-M BC's are better than ELD-X's. As a 7-08 goes,it's exceptionally projectile friendly,due the launch speed of same and the increased BC,simply retains more of the initial,in exchange for higher impact velocity(less drop/drift too). Hint.

To be "nicer" to barrels,one can't increase case size/capacity at like pressure and have them "wear better". Hint.

In a 700's confines,I'd rather be squirting .620 BC 112's via Seex Kreed,than anything in 243 or 243AI. So I'd happily rebarrel in kind,rather than punch out an OEM,mainly because I've done it both ways and more than a few times. Borescopes likely hurt more than they "help",because visual seeds ain't mechanical connections. "Accuracy" and "life" can't be "seen". Yesssssss...I have a fhuqking borescope. Hint..................(grin)

I’ve been messing around with then Montana 7-08, first one, but it’s a blast so far. I was also wondering how it’d handle 162’s in the little mag box. Seems like it’ll be fine. If 2700 is possible that should work excellent since it’ll get used for bucks and I’d prefer they open quicker rather than later. Thanks

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 22 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.