Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have a new to me Parker hale 1200 in 30 06 and I was wondering if there’s much benefit in getting a trigger job on this rifle?

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why not just install a Timney trigger for a 98 Mauser? The P-H 1200 is almost a clone of the Mauser.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since these came with several types of triggers, posting a pic would help get a better answer. But the answer above is right on track.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Pictures in this post, I was thinking about instead of a .trigger job

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7230577/re-parker-hale-help#Post17230577

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have you even looked under the wood? Chances are there's a VERY adjustable trigger there already. Based on the questions you've asked so far, have somebody who knows which end of a screwdriver to grab adjust the trigger down to around 2 lbs. of pull and minimize the sear engagement and overtravel. If you try to do it yourself, PLEASE don't hunt in Middle Tennessee!

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
I have a new to me Parker hale 1200 in 30 06 and I was wondering if there’s much benefit in getting a trigger job on this rifle?

I put a Timney in my JC Higgins and am glad I did.

FWIW.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Have you even looked under the wood? Chances are there's a VERY adjustable trigger there already. Based on the questions you've asked so far, have somebody who knows which end of a screwdriver to grab adjust the trigger down to around 2 lbs. of pull and minimize the sear engagement and overtravel. If you try to do it yourself, PLEASE don't hunt in Middle Tennessee!

grin

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

Based on what I have read in previous threads about the ph trigger having issues by gunsmiths , I was wondering about the trigger. I really didn’t need a smart ass answer .

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I asked for pics, I meant of the trigger unit, not the shoe. Can't rightly advise without a pic of the guts. Can't speak for HRL but I personally get chapped when people ask for a definite answer without providing enough information for anyone to work with. As I said before, PH used several types of triggers, some adjustable, some not. Some good, some not so. Pull the action out of the stock and take several pics. Otherwise, get yerself a Timney or Recknagel. https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/proddetail.php?prod=4288

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Parker-Hale went belly up many years ago, and a huge supply of their unfinished receivers and other parts and pieces were available at scrap iron prices. I have about a dozen of the receivers, some that use 98 Mauser bolt assemblies, and others that will accept surplus 03 Springfield bolts. They are investment cast paperweights made from EN-9 steel until they are finish machined and heat treated. I've made very serviceable rifles from a couple of them, but it involves a lot of pretty intricate machining. The nice part is that there's no paper trail since raw castings weren't serial numbered at the factory.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Parker-Hale 1200 is usually a Santa Barbera mauser. The trigger is a bit of a turkey in some respects but it is fully adjustable and can be set at 2.5 pounds reliably. The trigger housing is a Zinc alloy casting and is part of the rear bedding. The receiver which uses the 03 bolt is for the Midland rifle. Rarely seen is the Safari model which used a Brno ZG47 action.
Parker-Hale produced some interesting (from a gunsmith's perspective) rifles. They apparently had a bunch of surplus Springfield parts; hence the Midland. They also had some two-groove Springfield barrels. Some of these were used as-is but some had two more grooves cut into them. On these, the groove dimensions and configuration were enough different that they could be identified at a glance. GD

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Parker Hales used a variety of triggers, not just this one: [Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]

Hence the requests for pics.

The early PH Safari models were made on surplus 98 actions. Then the SB action. The Hussar model used the ZG47 action. But, as Greydog said, PH made an interesting variety of models. My son has a Blind Mag PH on a SB action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxerdog: Have you shot this yet to see how it works for you? Or are you contemplating a trigger job for the sake of having a trigger job?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a NIB Parker hale 3006.

I will post photos of it here as I have a few questions before I get her sighted in.

I will do so mid January when I get my stuff together.

Thanks
Merry Christmas

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by z1r
Parker Hales used a variety of triggers, not just this one: [Linked Image from pictures.gunauction.com]

The early PH Safari models were made on surplus 98 actions. Then the SB action. The Hussar model used the ZG47 action. But, as Greydog said, PH made an interesting variety of models. My son has a Blind Mag PH on a SB action.
I have one identical to the one in the pic, except the shoe doesn't have as much curve. Were these considered two-stage triggers? Is there a set of instructions somewhere detailing adjustments? By the way, mine was purchased in Lakewood about 1975 or 76.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Originally Posted by z1r

I have one identical to the one in the pic, except the shoe doesn't have as much curve. Were these considered two-stage triggers? Is there a set of instructions somewhere detailing adjustments? By the way, mine was purchased in Lakewood about 1975 or 76.
Nevermind! I did a little searching and found an old Parker Hale Instructional Manual with pics and details for adjusting that trigger in the pic. It is NOT two stage, and I was able to eliminate the creep I thought was two-stage. The pull can be adjusted below 2 lbs, but I settled for 3. The Safety blocks the trigger from moving, and also lifts the sear off the trigger bent and prevents the firing pin from falling. For 47 years I did not trust the safety and hated the trigger, wanting a three position modification and a Timney. But now I will run it like it was designed!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.