Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A sad part about getting older is watching the people around you get older too.

A cousin, mid 60’s, has been in poor health for a while, including emphysema. He’s been in the hospital this week and has been told he’s gonna need to be on O2 from here on in.

This is new for him and his wife. I’m told they want to sent him home with an oxygen tank.

Any advice welcome, particularly pertaining to mobile devices that can be used outside the house.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad ended up with COPD from years of smoking. He was prescribed oxygen in his early 80s. He started out with bottles and then got a home O2 generator and a hose that would reach anywhere in the house. The O2 generator pretty much ran 24/7 when he was home. Since it was a rental paid for by medicare, it got checked failry regularly by the medical supply company and he never had any problems. He also got a portable rechargable unit he could carry around with him. He could plug it into his car to keep it charged. I think it ran for something like 3 to 6 hours. It was about the size of a woman's purse. Both devices worked well enough for him to pretty much do what he wanted to do.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/26/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good news, thanks.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
My dad ended up with COPD from years of smoking. He was prescribed oxygen in his early 80s. He started out with bottles and then got a home O2 generator and a hose that would reach anywhere in the house. The O2 generator pretty much ran 24/7 when he was home. Since it was a rental paid for by medicare, it got checked failry regularly by the medical supply company and he never had any problems. He also got a portable rechargable unit he could carry around with him. He could plug it into his car to keep it charged. I think it ran for something like 3 to 6 hours. It was about the size of a woman's purse. Both devices worked well enough for him to pretty much do what he wanted to do.

I delivered & set up medical oxygen for awhile, as a post-retirement gig. This is all spot on.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdwatcher:

My advice would be to be careful about who has access to the oxygen generator. eek grin

10 seconds

/John

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I on was oxygen at night for awhile. The machine made a loud whistling
sound when it first started. It told my grandson (20) and his GF that it
was time to come out of his room and start feeding frenzy.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The wife's father was on it for the last year of his life ,had one of those little o2 generator things to carry around when we went to the doc , store ,eat. He was always paranoid about the battery going dead, the bottles are a pain in the ass, only had a few hours between changes and the back steps looked like we ran a wielding shop with all the emptys sitting out there. The big generator worked in the house the best only had to keep the hose from getting kinked around the doorways and furniture but hey kept him alive for another year or so.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A sad part about getting older is watching the people around you get older too.

A cousin, mid 60’s, has been in poor health for a while, including emphysema. He’s been in the hospital this week and has been told he’s gonna need to be on O2 from here on in.

This is new for him and his wife. I’m told they want to sent him home with an oxygen tank.

Any advice welcome, particularly pertaining to mobile devices that can be used outside the house.

When my dad went into Hospice care at home... we used the BEST HOSPITAL IN RICHMOND, VA for that care.

The oxygen generator they issued us/him broke after a few hours... and it took them 3 days to replace...

Never ASSUME ANYTHING in the field of medicine... nor that anyone in the field of medicine actually cares about anything other than money.

When my mom went into Hospice care at home... we used the local rural Hospice folks near her house... they were simply amazing in their care.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mike, just for your info, folks underestimate the danger.
I've known a few who killed/injured themselves smoking around medical O2.
And a couple who started house fires, also.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep a few extra bottles for emergency use. When the hurricane hit us a couple years ago, we were without power for about 5 days, and the fire dept supplied O2 to patients that had run out. Keep in mind that even the rechargeable units, that recharge in the car..... the car needs gas to run and with out power, no gas = no charge.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're going to be on a concentrator (generator), talk to the electric company and see if you can get a break on their rate. Those things can be electric hogs if run 24/7.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
smoking in a house with a patient on o2 , just shoot the smoker.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’d get a backpack model so I could still hike, lay blocks, saw and chuck cordwood, drag a deer out and help buds move furniture

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from boostoxygen.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mom was on Oxygen 24/7 the past year due to severe health problems included but not limited to open heart surgery and lung failure. After being in the nursing home for almost 3 months now, she has healed and recovered enough that she doesn't need oxygen at all just her CPAP at night.

With that being said, the home concentrator with a long hose is the key for the house. The portable small bottles for out and about are manageable but carry a spare bottle with you each time you leave the house because they don't last long. The portable units that are battery operated are easier to deal with but do not last but a couple hours between charging.

Bottom line, is a severe lifestyle change that takes getting used to.

Don't allow anyone to smoke around them, they can go boom. Neighbor lit a cigarette a few months ago and died from severe lung and facial burns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image from boostoxygen.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to 1:28 in the video and she how fast it can ruin your day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MPat70
Go to 1:28 in the video and she how fast it can ruin your day.

Badass!!!!

Although that seems like they buried the CFM output. If you need that much oxygen, youre already dead. LOL

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
When is somebody gonna talk about the dangerous flammability of oxygen?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Remember in Barnaby Jones when the patients smoked in the hospitals rooms.

That was great Boomer TeeVee

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.