Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Look into English Cocker Spaniels out of serious hunting bloodlines. Sounds like one of those would fill the bill.

RS
My sister has one that's about two years old. He barks more at the folks place than at home, still not bad though. He's from an agility rather than hunting line, so lots of energy.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One of the best we've had was a border collie / lab mix. Had the intelligence and coloration of a BC but the coat and dexterity of a lab. Bigger dog, about 75#, and thought he was a lap dog. He almost trained himself. No-kill shelter find. Smart dog. I got a Chessie while in college. Hunted with him for over 12 years, he was 1 1/2 yo when I got him. Great on upland birds and with our kids. Son would ride him like a 125# horse and use his ears for reigns as a toddler, dog never so much as looked cross-eyed at him.

Last 9 dogs we've had have been either shelter finds or give-aways. Still have 5 of them. They are all different personalities, and they will pick you, not the other way around.

Good luck with your search. (I have become partial to the standard dachshunds over the years, though.)

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Manchester Terrier should check all of your boxes. Cool dogs. Muscular and spry.
I have a mix that’s mostly Manchester but has white on chest and paws. He’s gotten a bit grey in the muzzle in these pics as he is @ 8. Loves to chase squirrels, kill rats and rabbits and is just as comfortable on the couch lounging with the kids. He does not like to play “ dress-up” even when he’s the sheriff.
When he passes, I will find another.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
Both young female adults 1+ (the red) 2+ (the blue) years and are just brilliant. I am not a rancher but they do run acreage yet are fine in the house. They are in their kennels sleeping with Momma as I type. They do like their kennels. The blue sheds like hell (semi-annual blow time at the moment), the red not at all. The red midget was the sole survivor of a litter of two. Likely our last dogs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

As I've said in the past, those are some good looking dogs EdM. They remind me of mine.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I knew a woman that kept Pomeranians and French bulldogs. They were both fun

.... like tears in the rain
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
If you have a horrific temper, get a heeler.

Nobody will question your killing a Heeler.

I had a heeler once, extremely smart and great help with the livestock. She was also protective and very loyal

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Important thread for us here on farm as BIL(former farmer with MS) just lost his second companion in 5 years. We have been getting rescue dogs from the pound. This time around ....small, good companion, no shed, no pulling my sister into next county as she has her hands full.....Interesting pooches on here!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Mountain curs, wheelers, and German shorthairs are going to be too big for me.

Do you know how big a mountain cur is?

Hardin284
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hardin284
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Mountain curs, wheelers, and German shorthairs are going to be too big for me.

Do you know how big a mountain cur is?
Well, sir, I had to check because I honestly wasn't 100% sure I knew, but this description is pretty much what I was thinking: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Cur
With a jacked up reconstructed shoulder, there's no way I'm going to be able to handle 30-60 lbs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Miniature American Shepherd, aka Miniature Australian Shepherd. The AKC officially recognizes them as "American," but in reality they're the same breed.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Only breed that has bitten me more than Cocker Spaniels are German Shepherd types.
I'm biased, I guess. our last 3 were Border Collies or mixes. They need quite a bit of coat maintenance, though.
(Ours were long-haired)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would say Sheltie but it’s a mixed bag. I have one that’s high strung, the other 3 are good to go, no issues. Bad part is the high strung one rubs off on the younger pup and they both can get rowdy.

Ruger has been solid gold, best dog ever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you work long or weird hours that the dog can't be with you all the time, and you plan on it being an inside dogs when at home, I would suggest a small female type that you can potty box train in the home. Never have to worry about coming home to a mess.

Easier to potty box train that to housebreak a dog. That's been my experience anyway.

Lola will happily go outside but if she has to she will always use the box☝️

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MPat70
If you work long or weird hours that the dog can't be with you all the time, and you plan on it being an inside dogs when at home, I would suggest a small female type that you can potty box train in the home. Never have to worry about coming home to a mess.

Easier to potty box train that to housebreak a dog. That's been my experience anyway.

Lola will happily go outside but if she has to she will always use the box☝️
Interesting.
My dogs will stay outside on the screened porch with a doggie door to the outside when we are gone.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Only breed that has bitten me more than Cocker Spaniels are German Shepherd types.
)
What in the world kind of work do you do that you have been bitten by multiple dogs - veterinarian? Animal control? Mailman?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh boy....... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Looking for similar breed as well.

Had a Bishon-Shih-Tzu for 17 years, may just get another. Lots of coyotes around us so that makes me hesitant.

Was pretty much a house dog, but we lived in town when we got him so it worked. Didnt shed at all, very smart. Loved to sit between your feet on the recliner. Tried the litterbox training when he was a pup, he wouldnt have it.

Would chase about anything once we got out of town, would kill small rabbits, mice, chipmunks if he could catch them.

He liked to watch tv with us and would jump down and bark at dogs or other animals he saw on tv. When the scene changed and they were gone, he would do his "I'm a Bad Azz, I chased them away" walk. Putting him down was one of the hardest things we had to do.

Last edited by cv540; 11/26/22.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
When I read your title...I immediately thought Boykin or Cocker. And, I read all the input and people gave some good advice all the way around.

We've had daschunds in the past...one lived almost 17 years. Did the border collie thing...she lived 14 years, very smart but not cuddly.

Then we got SM's and my wife loves them so we are stuck with that breed...they are good dogs but maybe a little bigger than you want we have four females (43lbs, 46lbs, 46lbs, 44lbs).

What breed is this, a SM?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The wife says once she can no longer handle the goldens we typically get, she's getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I find them to be a bit homely, but she's been around a lot of them over the years and says their temperament is top notch.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel/

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.