Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Considering giving a couple rifles a paint job - they've acquired a few beauty marks. Researching a bit, I see Krylon Fusion comes up alot. An old 'Fire thread from 2011 indicates Duracote as well.

What say the Campfire?

Thanks!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do a good prep job the Krylon Fusion with a matte clear coat holds up really well. Another option which I've had good luck with but is a bit more money is Brownells Aluma-Hyde II. No expert but it has worked for me on a couple different plastic stocks.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info - thanks!

I wasnt aware the clear came in matte finish.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prep is important.
I Did one stock with bed liner. Kind of over the black on black. Hit it with 2 coats of moss green and 2 coats Of satin clear to finish it. Looks clean

Last edited by Dre; 11/26/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The benefit of using a two-part finish, such a Duracoat (or Sherwin Williams Prolane T), or Cerakote H and E, is the chemical resistance you get that cannot be matched by a single part coating. Pretty darn durable too when done right. Degrease anything. Scrubbing with Dawn will work.

For your proposed use there's nothing wrong with Krylon or any number of other spray can finishes like Rustoleum 2X camo line, or Hunter's Specialty. Even better an epoxy coating like Brownell's Aluma-Hyde. And some clear, good stuff not some crafting product, on top is always more durable than a color, likely more chemical resistant as well.

Krylon Fusion is specifically formulated to adhere to plastics. Using an adhesion promoter like Bulldog is the best assurance for a chemical bond prior to any of these mentioned. Usually there's spray can plastic adhesion promoters in the autoparts paint section.

YRMV

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had great luck with Krylon on plastic and alumahyde on non-steel bottom metal and trigger guards. I stack very might coats of alumahyde and it dries very smooth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Good info - thanks!

I might be wrong on that - think they call it satin like MtnBoomer posted but its kind of matte looking when done.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 11/26/22.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info guys. This is why I ask here - guys know what the heck they are talking about! Thank you.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Good info - thanks!

I might be wrong on that - think they call it satin like MtnBoomer posted but its kind of matte looking when done.
Depending on brand, there's satin and matte clears. Can't recall any specifics, but, it's worth finding the right stuff rather than settling.

Another spray option is the Rust-Oleum Multicolor Textured line, topped with a clear. Works pretty good to easily add some texture and is pretty tough. Also, several guys have done great work sponging on their camo jobs...

Learned the hard way - let your colors dry pretty good before encapsulating with clear or you can make a helluva bubbly mess that looks like the paux! That's from the carrier solvent evaporating... And have fun with it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used Krylon on this Savage in .17 caliber. Winter colors for snow and desert. Holds up fine. Replaced the scope since this was taken.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did this steyr with Krylon and shapes cut out of blue painters tape.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

N
NWT Online Content
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
Once the stock is prepped and ready for the painting with the primary color. How many coats can you get out of one 12-13 ounce rattle can? Do you need more than one rattle can of the primary color per each stock?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by NWT
Once the stock is prepped and ready for the painting with the primary color. How many coats can you get out of one 12-13 ounce rattle can? Do you need more than one rattle can of the primary color per each stock?

Definitely not.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by NWT

I have done at least three full coats of satin enamel clear coat on 3 different stocks and I still have some left in the can, if that helps answer your question.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Considering giving a couple rifles a paint job - they've acquired a few beauty marks. Researching a bit, I see Krylon Fusion comes up alot. An old 'Fire thread from 2011 indicates Duracote as well.

What say the Campfire?

Thanks!

I am a fan of Krylon rattlecan paint. It is readily available in a wide variety of colors and textures, if it does get a chip or wear mark it only takes a moment to touch it up. I have been using it for years on stocks and actions and I have never found it necessary to go to extraordinary prep - I just wipe the part with auto paint degreaser and spray the part. My oldest spray job that I currently own is over 15 years old and it is still looks great and is holding up just fine.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This works good with Krylon, clear coat afterwards and it's plenty durable

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I remember handling a rifle with a pink splatter paint over black once. Had a nice feel to it. And didn’t even look too bad.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Swamp lord; thanks for the video.

Cool thread guys thanks for all the insights.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Did this steyr with Krylon and shapes cut out of blue painters tape.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Jackmoutain. Love that camo steyr. What model is it?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think I used duplicilor on this bb gun

Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 16 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 669 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.