Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My Howa 1500 shot well (under 3/4") with 44.0 grains of Reloader 22 and the Nosler 95 Ballistic Tip. Average velocity out of my 22" barrel was 3077 fps.

Not a screamer by any means, however, I'm betting with this bullet and velocity it should work well on the Alabama deer I'll be hunting.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It will do most of what a good 223 will,with "only" 15grs+ less powder. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Well, I shot a buck with my .243 Win. yesterday. 40.5 gr. IMR 4350 and a cheap Remington Core-loc 100 gr bullet. With the 18" barrel , it is a slouch of a load I am sure. The deer went 40 yards and that was it. Likely a 125 lb deer gutted. . Some states dont allow .22 cal. for big game though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 243 is better than any load you can shoot out of a 223.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'm going to go ahead and call bullshiit on this comment. And I'll go further and claim you're talking out of your ass.

As to the OP's question, it sounds like you've got a damn near perfect deer load there.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'm going to go ahead and call bullshiit on this comment. And I'll go further and claim you're talking out of your ass.

As to the OP's question, it sounds like you've got a damn near perfect deer load there.

Call anything you want, but the 243 is a better choice for deer than a 223......and it's not even arguable.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Call anything you want, but the 243 is a better choice for deer than a 223......and it's not even arguable.

+1 I killed alot of deer with a 223 and 65gr Sierra but the 85gr hpbt out of a 243 is better

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

*Yawn*

STFU boomer. I was right about the talking out of your ass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steveredd1

+1 I killed alot of deer with a 223 and 65gr Sierra but the 85gr hpbt out of a 243 is better

Yep, some of us know.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
My Howa 1500 shot well (under 3/4") with 44.0 grains of Reloader 22 and the Nosler 95 Ballistic Tip. Average velocity out of my 22" barrel was 3077 fps.

Not a screamer by any means, however, I'm betting with this bullet and velocity it should work well on the Alabama deer I'll be hunting.

Well since I've seen elk taken with that combo here in Oregon, at 300 and 400 yds, it should end up working on ANY deer in Alabama....
IT'S got more punch than you may think.. and a 95 Ballistic Tip is a stout bullet....

If you doubt that, then a simple upgrade to a 95 grain Partition will work just fine...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

*Yawn*

STFU boomer. I was right about the talking out of your ass.

Alright Gentlemen, we're all friends here.. Use what cartridge and bullet you want, in what caliber ya want...

I'm sure each of ya can make what ya like, work just fine.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Can't we all just get along? Snicker. As for me , I have 2 .243 Win. I only have 2 deer and son has a doe. They go about 20 or 40 yds and thats it , so far. Two went in the front shoulder and the other in the liver. Blew the live up . Friday with about a 125 lb buck, a small buck for up in Wisconsin, ran a bit when quartering me, but took out a lot of the heart. My .270 Win always put them down faster when put through the front shoulders. I also want a light .223 Rem. just cause . Cheap on fuel , I have a lot of small rifle primers , and may come a time we will all but not be able to get much for lead , primers and bullets. Never shot a deer with a .223 Rem. , but so many here say they work very well. With all the dead deer and hogs , cant can't say it doesn't work. Everyone here that uses them say they work great.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Well since I've seen elk taken with that combo here in Oregon, at 300 and 400 yds, it should end up working on ANY deer in Alabama....
IT'S got more punch than you may think.. and a 95 Ballistic Tip is a stout bullet....

If you doubt that, then a simple upgrade to a 95 grain Partition will work just fine...

We’ve used the 95 Ballistic Tip with 4064, Hunter, 22, 19, 4350, etc and man, time after time those suckers always worked great. One of my favorites for a 243, my family calls them the purple people eaters since so many of us have folded so many deer with them.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My .243 has only killed four deer. Back when I lived in a small Nevada town. I taught some of my neighbor's kids how to shoot and when deer season opened, I'd take one along to take their first deer. Rifle was a Kodiak Mauser rebarreled to .243. Not a very pretty thing but accurate as hell. I gave it to a friend's son when I moved to Arizona. Anyway, four lucky kids got to hunt with that rifle. We hunted on a private ranch which made it nice. Results were as follows. One deer DRT, two ran from about 30 to 50 yards and one ran over 250 yards running into a fence, backing up and hitting the fence two more times before finally expiring. Each deer was autopsied to see how the load worked. One that deer that ran such a long distance after the shot, the heart and lungs were literally jello. I have no idea what kept that deer on its feet for so long.
The load was a 100 gr. Hornady spire point, don't remember if it was interlock or pre-interlock, over a stiff charge of 4350. It was my pet coyote load FWIW. I forget which. When we moved here to Tucson, a couple of boxes of shooting stuff never made it here. Dunno if the moving company lost it or someone on the truck helped themselves. One of the missing boxes held all my reloading note from when I first started back in 1954.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by steveredd1

Yep, some of us know.
You are using that word "know" in error. You should look it up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only things you Whining CLUELESS Fhuqktards "shoot",are your mouths and Imaginations...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Google Gals be sure to swap Imagination and Pretend. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Perhaps give thought to holding your breath,as you Hissy your fits? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
The only things you Whining CLUELESS Fhuqktards "shoot",are your mouths and Imaginations...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. .

Says the guy who claims to Shoot IT ALL.... yet shoots off his mouth, more than anything else, OR .....MORE than anyone anywhere else for that fact.

ya can't make this sort of Schitt UP....

Ain't easy being Schtick is it Stumpy?

but you're still best of the best entertainment value on the WWW. Isn't ever missing something to laugh at or about.
with you being the center Stage centerpiece. .. HINT!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need to reiterate,that you are a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit,but it is a nice "touch"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

In "fairness" however,I shoot a "few" .224's. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
But Stick, what difference does it make?? Does any do any more than the .223 Rem, or the 22-250?? I doubt it and I think you will agree, so why bother. My .223 is fine , my .243 Win. blew the front shoulders out of a buck the other day, went through the heart and almost tore it in half , with a Remington 100 gr. bullet I bought for $10.50/100 pack 10 yrs ago. Do I need anything more? The answer is no. Ya Ya, you will say the Core-loc is an epic POS. ,... but they always worked just fine.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It will do most of what a good 223 will,with "only" 15grs+ less powder. Hint..............
That's not what he wants to use you hammer head. Just once answer the question relatively

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.