Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dre Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My buddy in Oregon wanted to buy a long rifle before the new measure 114 takes affect. He’s mainly into hand guns and ARs. Total newb to this.

Reached out to me and I suggested tikka, sauer 100, Bergara. Etc…. For a hunting rifle. Kind of One and done for now.

His other buddy recommended Remington as it has so many parts for it.
He ended up with 700 ADL. In 6.5. I guess due to limited availability at the store now. Due to massive hoarding prior Dec. 8th deadline.
I have two 6.5s so I don’t care about the caliber.
After the guy at sportsman’s sold him rail and 30 mm leupold rings and viper scope with 1” tube, he was saying how it’s getting expensive. Especially now as he is looking at a new Chasi with a magazine, trigger job, threading the barrel for a muzzle break/can.

I know he’s going different direction, but I feel like guys ask for help all the time. Especially on line and don’t follow any of it or already have their mind set on something else.

Rant over

Last edited by Dre; 11/26/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It seems at least half actually want you to bless the decision they already took, or sometimes already bought. The latter are generally easy to spot when they post here.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
So true Pappy................Personally I don't need or allow ANYONE on the internet opinion's to effect any of my choice's or decisions.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
My buddy in Oregon wanted to buy a long rifle before the new measure 114 takes affect. He’s mainly into hand guns and ARs. Total newb to this.

Reached out to me and I suggested tikka, sauer 100, Bergara. Etc…. For a hunting rifle. Kind of One and done for now.

He ended up with 700 ADL. In 6.5. I guess due to limited availability at the store now. Due to massive hoarding prior Dec. 8th deadline.
After the guy at sportsman’s sold him rail and 30 mm leupold rings and viper scope with 1” tube, he was saying how it’s getting expensive. Especially now as he is looking at a new Chasi with a magazine, trigger job, threading the barrel for a muzzle break/can.

I know he’s going different direction, but I feel like guys ask for help all the time. Especially on line and don’t follow any of it or already have their mind set on something else.

Rant over

Sounds like the other friend has more pull than you did. I have a buddy in SWAT that asks my opinion all the time. Was just shooting with him yesterday, in fact. He was setting up one of his work guns and wanted me there to help him. He's about 12 years younger, but very open to suggestions. I think it's how you present yourself, or show them what can be done. Some people just need to be shown and then they get it. My buddy has had minor issues with some of his rifles that were very easy to fix at the range. Some simple things like loose scope mounts or rings affected group size. When tightened up, groups went from 2-3" or scattered to nice 3/4" triangles. That happened yesterday and also a different time with one of his AR10's.

For suggesting rifles, if that is what this thread is about, I generally just suggest Tikka at this point and everyone of my buddies (that have listened) have been very happy. Again, take them out and show them. Here's a couple groups shot by myself and a buddy, with my rifle, when he was trying to decide which 6.5 creedmoor rifle to buy:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then his group:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
After we were done at the range, he went to Cabela's and bought himself a nice Tikka Superlite rifle. Easy peasy..

He still loves his CRF model 70's, as I do, but now when guys ask him what to buy, he says Tikka.. Now, since the internet side of it came up: It seems like those that don't want to listen to advice always have questions, they rarely listen and go off on their own as if they have decided way before they asked the question. Those are the guys that always have problems with their rifles and loads too. They walk around with their heads up their azz a lot I think, most times there is no helping them... That is their prerogative..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
So true Pappy................Personally I don't need or allow ANYONE on the internet opinion's to effect any of my choice's or decisions.
I don’t mind helping guys out when they ask for help to something they know nothing about.
But then to go complete opposite that will cost them twice as much for something they don’t plan on using a lot? Ugh

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre

Rant over
Sounds like he did take advice, just the other guys advice. wink

By the way, me, I'd have bought the 700 too over a Tikka, Sauer, or Bergara. But that's just me.

Dre Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Dre

Rant over
Sounds like he did take advice, just the other guys advice. wink

By the way, me, I'd have bought the 700 too over a Tikka, Sauer, or Bergara. But that's just me.

Lol. True true.
He’s just going to spend a bunch more $ to make it as smooth and accurate As a tikka out a box.
To each his own.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well... they made the Creedmoor in a shorter case than the 260 so you wouldn’t have to use a long action for long bullets.
And I like the idea of being able to single load from the top.

Also, buy American.

Last edited by DollarShort; 11/26/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

Rant over

He did listen, but he did not take your advice. When someone asks you for help, do what you did. You did the right thing. It's up to him to make his own decision. It's his money, time, and investment. It does not mean you gave him bad advice or that he ignored you, although it could be both. You can't read his mind nor change it, so don't spend anytime worrying about it. Just my 2 cents.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s just one of those things you shake your head at. Then move on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Typically they already know what they want. Then they just want your affirmation it is correct. Sort of like women. They ask the same question to different people until they get an answer they already.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or it could be that all the store had left were Remingtons. Personally the main reason I left California was all of the crazy azzed gun laws which have continued to get worse. You might want to consider relocating.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Dre Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Or it could be that all the store had left were Remingtons. Personally the main reason I left California was all of the crazy azzed gun laws which have continued to get worse. You might want to consider relocating.
He says it’s due to what was left on the shelves.
What’s funny is I almost said anything but Remington unless you want throw a bunch of money at it. And this is exactly what’s happening.
We are Looking at 2nd home in or just outside of Prescott or Boise. (Wife doesn’t want to be too far from city life)
Just waiting on prices to adjust or drop

Last edited by Dre; 11/26/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If someone asks me for advise or an opinion I never figured it obligated them to follow it. If they are just looking for validation on a decision or a purchase they already made then I always just say ‘ that should work “ and go about my business.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just offer options and let them choose

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They don't want to hear your opinion.

They want to hear their opinion - coming out of your mouth. smile

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by selmer
They don't want to hear your opinion.

They want to hear their opinion - coming out of your mouth. smile

I don't have any friends but if I did I'd tell them to hunt with an Arisaka like I shoot.

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If a guy has to ask advice about “guy” shiit, especially with the wealth of info via www, he’s a dummy. That said, joe average “99%” of folks are absolute fuuckin idiots. Tell them to buy a savage axis next time😆

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ll ask advice on subjects I feel I lack knowledge in. Often get very good information that I’ll follow. Many just want hear other ideas even if their mind is set on one thing. I’ve never even handled a Tikka or Bergara rifle but have heard many good reviews on them. My go to brands for bolt rifles has been Ruger 77’s and Winchester 70’s for a good while now. I probably should expand my horizons to see what I’ve missed out on.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
According to 'The Warden", it's the "Y" chromosome that is at fault. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.