Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had a full right knee done on the 16th - so roughly a week and half ago.
Surgery itself was a cake walk and they had me on my walker going down the hall and over a small set of stairs before same day discharge….

Pain management is going well and there’s been no complications of any kind as yet… but I’m incredibly tight with minimal range of motion. I have PT three times a week and “home work” stretching that I do in between.

So that’s where I’m at…. How did yours go and any advice.
BT53

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm right behind you blacktail. Not done yet but thinking hard on it. Which doctor if you don't mind me asking?

LOL
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Yup. Had a partial replacement in spring of 2021, and was humping the hills of Idaho in October of the same year. Felt like a new man.

I have some arthritis as a result of the surgery for sure, but got 99 percent of my function back and packed an entire bull out on my back last season…plus half of my sons. I’m 50 fwtw.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Both of my knee replacements went great.
I highly recommend them for those in good enough health to have the operation and buckle down on the required post-op therapy.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by iddave
Yup. Had a partial replacement in spring of 2021, and was humping the hills of Idaho in October of the same year. Felt like a new man.

I have some arthritis as a result of the surgery for sure, but got 99 percent of my function back and packed an entire bull out on my back last season…plus half of my sons. I’m 50 fwtw.

Dave

Good deal. Much pain with the sx?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Had one done, it is much better than before.

Take the followup seriously and work through the pain. I know of one person who blew the PT off, and he cant tie his shoes or walk up stairs.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm right behind you blacktail. Not done yet but thinking hard on it. Which doctor if you don't mind me asking?

Dr Yaser Metwally
He’s in Medford, but has offices in CP and GP as well.
Surgery actually takes place at the GP Surgery Center.
Very professional and personal. Everyone I’ve met Thad used him has been impressed.

BT53

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After 4 prior surgeries, had both done in 2017, and they're great now. PT is tough, and painful, but bust your asss through it and you'll be good to go. Took a couple of months to get most of my range of motion back, and full recovered after about 8 months. It can take up to a year though they say. Nevertheless you'll never get back to full range of motion that natural knee joints gave you.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Had one done, it is much better than before.

Take the followup seriously and work through the pain. I know of one person who blew the PT off, and he cant tie his shoes or walk up stairs.

That’s what I’ve been hearing.
I’m doing repetitive pt and the icing.
For what it’s worth - I’ll be 70 in February and don’t plan on becoming a couch potato… I want to get back to as close to 100% as I can.

As it is now - the pain I had from bone on bone is gone completely and what I’m dealing with now is the swelling and stiffness that I’m trying to rehab.

BT53

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's normal Blacktail. I iced mine a lot, a whole lot. I also weaned myself off of Narco's after about 7 days because they worked great but I really liked them, if you know what I mean. Put down the walker after 7 days, used a cane for about 7, then just walked as much as possible. You'll get there one day at a time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two neighbors man & wife that both had knee replacement surgery In September. They blow of most pt appointments, do nothing but sit on the couch at home and they are both still on their walkers complaining that the Doctors fûcked their knees up!

There's just no helping someone that doesn't want to help themselves.
Have an Aunt that had both of her knees replaced. She followed all the Dr orders and it went well for her. Was 2 years ago and she says she is about 95% at 72 yrs old.

Last edited by MPat70; 11/26/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had the left knee replaced two years ago.
Very satisfied with the results.
Just do the PT, both at the rehab center and at home, and try not to kneel, even after it's healed.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my wife had both knees replaced same day 6 hours after the surgery they had her up walking ,3 weeks after the surgeries she was doing excellent ,now 2 years later she is better than she has been for 20 some years.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm lined up for a cleanup scope on a torn meniscus, that's simple compared to a replacement.

I'm Praying for any having the surgery.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had TKR in 2008. It has gone well. DO THE THERAPY!

Get a bicycle. If inconvenient to ride on the road, get a stationary bike. Get a compression stocking.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Pete: Your wife, both knees, on the same day? I would never do that, I would space 'em 10 months apart. So much pain.

Your wife is a badass.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ricky Bin had a double.

My surgeon won’t do that. I had mine done 3 months apart. 5 years since then and they are great.

OP- you seem to be tracking correctly. Keep doing what your PT says. When they let you, get on a bike(sans spandex). Best knee/quad therapy, IMO&E.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had my right one totally replaced in 17, much better now. Only complaints are that it seems to itch quite often and gets cold easily. It also hurts like heck if I kneel or if I bang it into something.

Last edited by DANNYL; 11/26/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm lined up for a cleanup scope on a torn meniscus, that's simple compared to a replacement.

I'm Praying for any having the surgery.
Just went through that in July. Ended up removing 80% of my left meniscus. My advice is to sleep with a pillow under your knee's for the first week or so after surgery and ice, ice, ice. Also, to help work the swelling, when laying on your back, lift your leg up and try to bend it just a little more each day. I was up hobbling around immediately and walked outside a little more each day. I would say I'm at 85% now. Still building up the strength I lost. The great VA never referred me to physical therapy so it was all on me.
With removing that much meniscus I am still looking at knee replacement surgery In the future. They said I was too young for knee replacement being only 52 because knee replacement is only good for 15-20yrs I'm told.

Last edited by MPat70; 11/26/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I had a Ostioid ostioma ain’t spelled right but big grape size non cancer tumor on the back of my knee in the bone.I was layed up about a month after surgery and pain persisted for a year after I was eating Aleve. Went back to the ortho he said they seen my meniscus was tore during initial surgery for the tumor. I called BS and that pain went away shortly after.

Last edited by earlybrd; 11/26/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.