Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good evening guys. I wanted to try to ask some questions about the Winchester 1300's. I've owned several winchester shotguns over the years, and I still have one of the later speedpumps that's about as nice as any pump shotgun could ever be.

It's in 12 gauge though, and while I know that 12 and 16 are two different animals, I'm somewhat thinking about seeing what parts it would take to convert the 12 ga over to 16 since I don't have a 16 winchester in my collection and that just seems wrong.

I'm seeing barrels and elevators for 16. And I'm even seeing where the 12 and 16 share extractors (same part no.).

My main question is, are the 12 and 16 bolts the same? I'm half tempted to see if I can cycle a 16 ga shell through the action just to see how the bolt would mate up to the hull rim? But, I thought I would ask here first to see if any of you guys may have some experience and may already know the answer(s) if the barrel and carrier is all that is different between the two chamberings.

Thanks in advance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By no means an expert, nor do I have any experience in doing what you are suggesting. I do think you may headed for uncharted waters though.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've always liked my winchesters. I've owned several. Matter of fact, I've given all 3 of my sons their own winchesters when the were old enough and now they're all grown and families of their own. The market for them have shrunk a lot after they closed and sold out to FN. Sadly you seldom see mention of them these days with all the younger reddit crowd clamoring over other guns.

Finding a 16 bore speedpump has became increasingly difficult and just seems like a hole in my collection. I have a donor gun for the project that I could use. For that matter, I could buy all the parts I need to swap it over to 16 if I knew which are dedicated parts to where I could easily sell my 12 ga parts and essentially have little to nothing tied up in the conversion parts and maybe even come out ahead on it?

Just something I've been rolling around in my head for a while and with winter coming, wouldn't mind having a project in the works for when it's too ugly to get out and do anything else.

The more that I'm thinking about it, with both shells being 2-3/4", it may not even need a dedicated elevator. Mag tube and guts? I found the upper and lower 16 ga magazine throat. Bolt? I am unsure of. I need to check inside of there to see if there's a cartridge stop or not like mossbergs and most other pumps.

If they need their own dedicated bolt face though, from finding basically nothing online, would be the deal breaker. That's why with hardly no mention of it, I'm wondering if the 12 and 16 are not one in the same?

But, this is why I ask questions. I don't know everything.

I even considered converting a mossberg 500A over the 500B (16). But at the end of the day, I'd rather convert the winchester over than the mossberg though. While I have owned several 500's over the years, and I carry one frequently when going to check the trail cams for bears and wolves, at the end of the day, the winchester is just overall nicer.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Did they even make the 1300 in 16ga? I know they did in the 1200, but the 1300? Not so sure. That said, Numrich arms lists a "used, factory original" 16ga Breechbolt for the 1200 at a price of $72 - Perhaps the bolts are similar enough that the two could be hobbled together? Like you, I like the Winchester platform - I find it is much easier to shoot well, than say a 870 or a Mossberg. I solved my 16ga pump "need" by going the 1897 route. Might not shoot it as well as my 1300s, but I do much better than I did with the 870.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I understand what you're saying. I just have a soft spot for the winchesters to be honest. I've owned so many different brands over the years, that it's easy to understand that I'm not a brand snob by any means. But, I think the winchesters are pretty sweet shooters too. That's why I was thinking about it.

I have a source for an older mossberg 500B (16) barrel and cartridge stop and interrupter is all I would need to swap it over. The mossberg uses the same bolt as the 12 as far as I know. But it's a cylinder bore barrel and that doesn't really appeal to me. Mod or full and I would be more interested, but I'm not really interested in the cylinder bore.

I have an older Western Field 16 ga pump, which was made by Noble shotguns and by all intents and purposes, I like it better than I thought I would now that I've had it a while. They don't make guns like they used to. All metal parts. Even the follower is stainless steel. It has a lot of similarities with winchester model 12's and Ithaca 37's especially in regards to the bolt and such.

But getting spare parts could become more problematic if I ever broke something going forward. But the one I have is pre-68 and still has all the original parts as far as I can tell and even the hammer spring is still stout and lights primers without a problem. So it would probably outlast me. I don't like taking the trigger assembly out though because it's a chore to clean it sometimes. I'm not a fan of how it goes together.

I'm going to try to thread the barrel for chokes on that gun, but will be after Christmas before I have the time and extra cash to do it.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Did they even make the 1300 in 16ga?

No.

12 gauge and 20 gauge, only. The 1300 is a 3" receiver. If a fellow wants a 16 gauge on that platform, the 1200 is your huckleberry. OR..........a 1400 semi. But the 1300 in 16 gauge was not a thing.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I would like a 1400 semi in 16. Maybe someday I'll come across one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Billewe
I would like a 1400 semi in 16. Maybe someday I'll come across one.

GunBroker is your friend

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
221 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.