Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Engineered wood, If you don't have any of the original you're pretty much out of luck. You could do a tile insert under the fridge, till you can replace it all.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KFWA
they probably will, but its like 4 boards
If it a continual flowing floor and you can't get the correct material to fix it properly then yes, they should cover for all areas where the boards are flowing. That includes down the hall and any other areas
Can't hurt to call them! I would in a NewYork minute

Last edited by MPat70; 11/26/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Engineered wood, If you don't have any of the original you're pretty much out of luck. You could do a tile insert under the fridge, till you can replace it all.

We actually talked about that - just cutting a square area in front of the fridge and putting tile down like it was meant to be there in a possible spill area.

My only concern is the subfloor. I'm not sure if it has any give that would crack the tile. There may be another option to do that besides tile.

I'll probably give it a go next weekend, if I'm not happy with trying to swap out replacement wood, I'l consider my options including reaching out to the insurance company. At the moment though I don't want to file a claim.

Last edited by KFWA; 11/26/22.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

We actually talked about that - just cutting a square area in front of the fridge and putting tile down like it was meant to be there in a possible spill area.

My only concern is the subfloor. I'm not sure if it has any give that would crack the tile. There may be another option to do that besides tile.

I'll probably give it a go next weekend, if I'm not happy with trying to swap out replacement wood, I'l consider my options including reaching out to the insurance company. At the moment though I don't want to file a claim.
Hardie board.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

This will be fugked up. Just watch.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It’s not the subfloor that’s going to cause deflection, it’s your floor joist/truss. What are your joist in that area (2x8, 2x10?) what is the spacing and span?
STX might have an opinion on this, but we’d use the Schluter Ditra underlayment designed for using tile in areas with movement (joist deflection). Small area under a fridge I’d just lay it on Durock and get on with life.

Last edited by jackmountain; 11/26/22.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

This will be fugked up. Just watch.

Can’t be any worse than Roy’s wood stove install.
I’d bet inside 3mos. there’s a fireballz “prayer request, our house just burned down” thread.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Osky
Call in a floor contractor. I’ve had several repaired on rental property I bought. Turns out fine.

Osky

is it something you would have done in your own home?

Yes, and I did in a home it lived in. The touchiest part was the stain match but that blended in within a year or so pretty darn well. If they sand the entire floor or to a division point the stain can be blended easier.
The guys that pop the strips out and replace them do it faster than I would have thought.
In this area these are wood strip oak floors, in that 7/8” thickness or so. Good old stuff.
Up here bad areas areas are often near the front door which is in the main living room in older homes. Winter boots left near those doors over the years played heck on the oak strip floors.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am with you on the claim file. I have $500 deductible, and lose my 10% policy discount for three years if I file a claim.

If I can do a repair on the cheap, that is a hell of a lot better option.

One year I also found water damage under the fridge. The particle board subfloor had to be replaced in that area. It was not a big job once exposed. I applied thin set on the subfloor, put down 3/8" hardi-board, and put tile down through the whole kitchen and laundry.

Momma was happy. That is the only critic I worry about.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am with you on the claim file. I have $500 deductible, and lose my 10% policy discount for three years if I file a claim.

If I can do a repair on the cheap, that is a hell of a lot better option.

One year I also found water damage under the fridge. The particle board subfloor had to be replaced in that area. It was not a big job once exposed. I applied thin set on the subfloor, put down 3/8" hardi-board, and put tile down through the whole kitchen and laundry.

Momma was happy. That is the only critic I worry about.
For only $500 and a three year 10% policy discount it seems like the DIY cost would have to be pretty damn cheap to justify the hassle and possible Fugg up of cutting up your floorboards and splicing from on area to another.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Engineered wood only has a thin veneer, about a 1/16th thick or so, it's not solid.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Whatever fix you choose, take note ahead of time of the thickness of flooring your pulling out. If you change to tile, carpet, whatever as a PATCH you want to be sure your result is exactly surface flush with what your leaving behind.
Any varying edges in a traffic spot like that will drive you crazy. Even if you use wood from elsewhere in the same home you may have to sand it down to blend.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
good points to consider

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Roger knows his trade.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think pictures would be very helpful...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If it was me, I'd use tile under the fidge, sort of like this.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm tempted, I have a tile saw

I'll see what the wife wants.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just take a few pieces from the pantry and replace. It ain't hard.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sometimes NOT matching it can work out well. My SIL bought an old house with hardwood floors that were in bad shape. There was a crawl space hatch in the floor right in front of the bathroom door. The cover was made of 2x4's and old plywood. It wasn't nearly as attractive as it sounds. She hired a contractor to refinish the floors. At the same time, he made a new hatch cover. He couldn't possibly make one to match the floor so he pieced together other old wood to make sort of mosaic pattern. It very much shows but it looks more like a work of art than a hole cover. Considering what he had to work with, it came out great.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
KFWA, if you like, you might use tile in front of the outside door to balance it out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 3,345 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.