Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Currently using an Eberlestock X2 and really like its strength and the thin shoulder straps make it easy to shoot with it on. I have managed to stuff and strap 95 lbs worth of meat and gear to it so I’m impressed with its strength. But find it a bit small for meat and unfortunately it’s uncomfortable for me even with light loads. I already have a large pack for heavy, multi day trips, but it’s too noisy and bulky for day hunting. Also the shoulder straps are thick making it hard to shoot with it on.
Looking for something in between but still with thin shoulder straps for easy shooting.

I am considering the Eberlestock F1 Mainframe to use with a small dry bag for day hunts and carrying meat when needed. Does anyone use the F1 in this way? Like to hear your experiences or any other recommendations. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried Eberlestock packs and find your statement about comfort under even light loads accurate. So - I don't have any experience with the F1 - but have tried alot of day packs over the years including most of the upper end packs.

To me, if meat hauling is in the equation, you need a good pack that comes with a meat shelf. Exo, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, all have small bag options and the ability to carry alot of weight "comfortably". Despite internet lore, hauling 60-70-80 lbs on your back SUCKS. With a good pack - that fits and adjusted correctly - it's tolerable. A poorly designed pack will be downright painful.

Pack fit is the key. For my dimensions, the Exo K3 fits well. I use the 1850 with the K3 lid for general day hunting. It is none to big in my opinion and would benefit from an additional 2-300 cu inches - but it works well. I've hauled 2 elk out with it in day hunt mode.

Mystery Ranch Pintler is another I spent a fair bit of time under. I came to hate the waist belt - not enough grip under load and it slides down my hips.

Kifaru 22 mag is a solid choice and likely my second favorite.

I've not tried the Stone Glacier mainly because they only come with a 26" frame. I have a short torso and the frame sticks up way too high, comically high.....

I've had a couple Kuiu packs and found them light but uncomfortable under load. In fact, they plain sucked when you add more than ~ 40 lbs. Plus I don't trust the frame under heavy loads.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I am really thinking about an exo k3 (4) or a stone glacier. For daypack duties just strapping on a dry bag and going with a frame. Pretty sure my current kifaru bag triples in weight when saturated, which is almost always.

As mentioned, hauling meat is supposed to suck, but it can suck a little less.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been very happy the last 4-5 years with an MR Pop Up 28. Lots of guys also seem to like the PU 38.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys, I’ll check out the other options.
I agree packing heavy loads can suck. I usually hike back to the truck with a small load and get my big pack, but I’d like to be able to not have to do that if possible. Takes up a lot of time.
Thanks again.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I know a guy who guts the buck and packs them out whole between his Exo frame and bag for shorter pack outs. Quite a testament to the toughness if the pack system. (And the packer).

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ve settled on a pop up 28. It can can handle two average blacktails well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A word of caution on the MR Popup 38 - it seems the bag can't/won't cinch tight to the frame with less than a full bag. I had a PU 28 and liked it well enough but it didn't anything my Exo K3 can't do better so I sold it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at Seek Outside too. Great way to shave some weight and still have plenty of carrying capacity.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Look at Seek Outside too. Great way to shave some weight and still have plenty of carrying capacity.

Thank you.
The Peregrine 3500 and Gila Ultralight look interesting. How do you find the material for noise if still hunting in timber? If you have one of these two packs, do you find any problem shooting with the pack on? The shoulder straps look thin enough to not get in the way.

IC B3

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
A word of caution on the MR Popup 38 - it seems the bag can't/won't cinch tight to the frame with less than a full bag. I had a PU 28 and liked it well enough but it didn't anything my Exo K3 can't do better so I sold it.

Thanks, I was also reading about that. Looks like some guys use some extra straps to try and cinch it down better.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
I know a guy who guts the buck and packs them out whole between his Exo frame and bag for shorter pack outs. Quite a testament to the toughness if the pack system. (And the packer).
That’s definitely a strong guy carrying a whole buck only gutted. I have no problem spending the time to debone because I know I’m not carrying a whole buck only gutted.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Originally Posted by Calvin
That’s definitely a strong guy carrying a whole buck only gutted. I have no problem spending the time to debone because I know I’m not carrying a whole buck only gutted.

That's a guy who will need knee & hip replacement.
My friend Jeff in Idaho used to carry deer out like that, it caught up with him by age 50.

It's hard to find exactly what works best for each person, good luck.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtwarden

Thank you.
The Peregrine 3500 and Gila Ultralight look interesting. How do you find the material for noise if still hunting in timber? If you have one of these two packs, do you find any problem shooting with the pack on? The shoulder straps look thin enough to not get in the way.

My older pack SO pack bag is X-Pac, it's a little noisy; they went to a couple of newer fabrics (still waterproof) that are quite a bit quieter

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My mystery ranch cabinet has worked very well for day pack uses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My SO Evolution and Revolution packs are fine still hunting, despite being made from XPac, since they pack down small enough in day-pack mode to be obscured by my body from the front. Shooting with the pack on is not an issue for me, since the straps aren't super tight against my shoulders and the frame articulates with upper body rotation.

M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That’s good to know thanks. I’m taking a serious look at Seekoutside.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am considering the Eberlestock F1 Mainframe to use with a small dry bag for day hunts and carrying meat when needed. Does anyone use the F1 in this way? Like to hear your experiences or any other recommendations. Thanks.

I am on that path but I can't comment on load hauling yet. It is my first season with this setup and I have 1 more week to go .. fingers crossed. For a bag, I am using a HPG tarapocket using grimlocks to hook the bag to the frame attachments for the straps rather than to the straps themselves. (I'll experiment more after the season is over, right now, as the old saying goes, "I'm dancin' with who I brung.") The bag is big enough to hold the custom meat sacks my cuz made for me, rope, etc to hang quarters to a tree branch for cooling, and a single elk quarter bag to roll the quarters into for carry .. plus a couple modest knives and a bottle of water. Minimalist. It is possible that by next year I'll have chosen a slightly larger bag for the F1 frame.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I am on that path but I can't comment on load hauling yet. It is my first season with this setup and I have 1 more week to go .. fingers crossed. For a bag, I am using a HPG tarapocket using grimlocks to hook the bag to the frame attachments for the straps rather than to the straps themselves. (I'll experiment more after the season is over, right now, as the old saying goes, "I'm dancin' with who I brung.") The bag is big enough to hold the custom meat sacks my cuz made for me, rope, etc to hang quarters to a tree branch for cooling, and a single elk quarter bag to roll the quarters into for carry .. plus a couple modest knives and a bottle of water. Minimalist. It is possible that by next year I'll have chosen a slightly larger bag for the F1 frame.

Thanks.
How do you find it so far for just hiking around hunting with light load? Noise, comfort, mobility? Good luck, I hope you get to load it up this week. Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Runninb a KUIU Pro 2300 and the EXO K3 1800. Also have larger bags to go on them should I need more capacity. Got rid of my Eberlestock years ago. Too heavy for what you get...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

72 members (808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, Amos63, 14 invisible), 1,103 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,482
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.