Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
d500lnn Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
How many of y’all are guilty of selling rifles you really like(almost all of them) when you get bored or feel guilty for not using them? I do it every year and every time I regret selling….but how many rifles can you actually use?

I can think of 10-15 rifles off the top of my head I wish I’d kept..

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have and am probably going to do it again.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've got one on a local board that I know I will regret getting rid of when it goes. If it does not sell in the next couple days I will probably pull it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I'm going to sell my Mauser M12 Impact .308. I just don't need it, and don't use it. I actually have my Mauser m12 30-06 listed now on Michigan gun Owners. if it sells, it sells.

The older I get, I can do everything with my Encore.

I might regret selling both Mausers but doubt it. They just sit in the safe. I don't use them.

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/s...SER-M12-30-06-Used-HOWELL-1300-No-Trades

Last edited by cooperfan; 11/27/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have done that too many times.
Almost always end up with a case of seller's remorse.
Maybe some day I'll learn.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A wise old man told me to never sell a gun. You will regret it. I listened.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have bought and sold a lot of rifles, shotguns and handguns. I enjoyed shooting nearly all of them. I've enjoyed learning and studying the different actions and cartridges. I've enjoyed learning the different shooting and handloading techniques. There is one, my 416Taylor that I would dearly love to have back. A few others, mostly Whitworths that I would like to have. I probably would not have an opportunity to hunt any of those.
So like old girlfriends, they've gotten prettier and more perfect since they have found someone else to spend time with.
Ive been downsizing the last while, that will continue until they are all gone. But, there are more fish in the sea, and you never know what the future may hold.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nah. Only thing I miss is the Colt 357. And then not that much.

By CF standards, I don’t have a lot of rifles, and half of them are rimfires. I could do with two or three less.
....Or maybe just one less. And a few less air rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just turned one over to my LGS for placement on the Web. Very nice rifle, and a good shooter, but just too heavy for Grandpa to tote very far, and while I’ve never futzed one up in the field, I’m probably due, so I’m passing it on. Had it advertised locally for quite some time, but the only inquiries I got were from goobers trying to evade the law and drag me into it. Not going there, especially with all the crap the ATF is pulling of late. The last guy claimed to live in my state, but refused to show me his driver’s license. “I’m not giving up that kind of personal information!” What a crock.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a LN Hawkeye AW .223 in a factory walnut stock, check GB Monday or Tuesday. Pappy’s working on a lightweight replacement, a Howa Carbon Mini. Final parts are en route.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like them all! But can't afford them all at the same time! So I'm constantly selling something to buy something else. I do have a "core" of firearms I don't think I'll sell, but... lol! I've regretted selling some of them, others, not so much. But I enjoy getting something new to me, trying it for a while and then moving it on for the next new to me... been this way with everything except my wife! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Never had a problem with selling when I was bored but have bought quite a few when bored working overseas and the wife wasn’t with me. She had to make numerous trips for postal money orders. The internet is the devil!

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby
A wise old man told me to never sell a gun. You will regret it. I listened.

My best friend always said that. He passed away a few months ago, and I recently went through his gun collection with his wife, helping her to decide which guns to give to the son-in-laws and grandsons. I want to be able to enjoy my guns while I'm able to do so, so if I want to sell one that I don't use and buy one to play around with, then I see nothing wrong with it. I have a few family heirlooms that I'd never part with, and want them to be passed on down thru the family. Otherwise, most of the rest of my collection are expendable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do it all the time. It's just stuff. I have a couple favorites, but everything else is fair game. I just sold a custom shop rem and a real nice sako. Next on the chopping block is a .308 mnt rifle. Great rifles, but every season I end up grabbing either my Montana 7mm-08 or faux KS Mnt rifle .338-06.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am guilty of this as well. I only have a couple I regret getting rid of. The first is a Savage 99 in .358 Win. It was given to me by my uncle in payment for years of mowing his 5 acre tree farm.
Because I was 19 and dumb as hell, a lever gun didn't interest me. So, I traded it in on a new 30-06 bolt gun. Dumbest thing I have ever done when it comes to firearms.

I also had 4 Contender frames and 4 Encore frames. I am now down to 2 of each. I should have kept the other ones for parts, if nothing else now that T/C is dead.

I have a 6.5-06 barrel in the classifieds right now because I am converting that Savage long action to a .300WM. I got out of the long action and magnum chamberings a long time ago, but the increased availability of suppressors has allowed me to move back into them without the punishing recoil and muzzle blast.

I don't have any children and only 2 nephews who are interested in firearms, so I am sure more of these will go down the road for other people's enjoyment before too long, just so my wife doesn't have to deal with all of it when I kick the bucket.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
bored maybe ? but sell them nope they move to a solvent sock and in the back of the vault. the rifles i keep shoot to well for me to ever sell . this is what i tell people when i die be to the garage sale wife and kids will sell them cheap probably ? the rifles i have in the gun vault are excellent shooters all sub minute rifles otherwise i got rid of them or they are old with great value hard to find guns.

Last edited by pete53; 11/27/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup. Having spent the best part of a year and a half disposing of my father’s stuff, before and after he passed, I’m committed to not putting my wife and kids through that. Not just gun stuff, but plenty of “I Might Need That Someday” crap. He was a serious boater, so you can imagine how much of that stuff he had!

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That was the mentality of the generations that grew up in a world where there wasn’t so much stuff to begin with. An era when indoor plumbing wasn’t even always a thing.
Never throw anything away. My mom would think there was someone who needed old worn out socks and underwear.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I must really be bored... because right now I feel like selling most of them! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never been “that” bored. In 55 years I’ve only gotten rid of two…..and regret only one of them. But, we don’t have very many either! Pretty selective, thoughtful, and restrained about what we purchase! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/27/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I rarely regret selling a rifle because I'm bored with it. I sold a few rifles that I regret because I was short on money, like my first Win 94 back in the 90's. However, in Sept 2017 I fell off a ladder and missed a year of work with a shattered leg, three surgeries, and months of PT. I hadn't prepared for that kind of life changing event. I sold all my .35 Whelen rifles, got down to one each .338-06, .30-06, and .243, but managed to hang onto two .270 Win rifles. I had a few others I didn't sell, because I knew I couldn't turn them very fast, or they were ones I bought my Daughter and Wife to use.

I regret selling those rifles but I haven't replaced because I learned that what I sold wasn't important. What's important in not putting my family in that situation again where I have to sell things to get by. Our savings ran out after about five months of me missing work, with no long term disability insurance or large nest egg. I now carry enough disability insurance to safeguard my family, and enough life insurance to allow my wife to live very comfortably (I'm still amazed I'm upright! :D).

Now I just sell my firearms when the thing that enamored me to them wears off.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
800 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,174 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.