Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Originally Posted by ButchA61
Originally Posted by moosemike
I gave up on treestands years ago

Same.... I had a nice climber years ago, but one bizarre day, it decided to go "skkkkkreeee" downwards about a foot! Talk about a pucker moment! eek Thank God for harnesses too! Mine got pulled a little more tighter obviously, causing a difficult type of turnaround, feet in the stirrups, climb back up a little ways to where I was. No idea how who what where why, no rhyme or reason, chit happens. But it was enough to make me say "F.... this..." and I sold it the next day.

Could’ve been the tree. Some trees like smooth bark hickory’s have really hard bark and the climber teeth don’t dig into it. If I’m climbing I look for white oaks, maple, or ash.

Thinking back on my reply post, and the event quite a number of years ago... @Bill_N, you are absolutely right. I was overlooking an open field roughly 75-100 yards away with an old open sighted Marlin 30-30 rifle. I was up in a large hickory tree, with oaks scattered all around before the big clearing/field.

Last edited by ButchA61; 11/26/22.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve killed deer from both, but in my experience farm deer seem way more tolerant of a ground blind than the northern forest deer. Maybe because I hunt public land, I find that the deer are more nocturnal i.e. paranoid and the bucks tend to move in the more secluded, thicker cover. Getting above the brush from an evergreen tree stand gives me more time, better concealment and a better shot angle. Advantage: a tree stand in my case.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I mainly hunt public land, and stay on the ground. Moving slowly. And not often in one place. I usually hunt the edges. I believe they call it “still hunting”.

I’ve walked up on a thickets that were too thick for me to go into. You can hear the deer snorting, but they aint coming out.

Hogs often like to move around in the thick canes. It’s a little easier to get in and flush them.

Most of the time just getting out and exploring, experiencing, is enough. Getting a shot is a bonus.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ground blind, or "still hunt" with Grandkids.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PWcpjwS.mp4[/img]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 308ld; 11/27/22.

Ed
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been hunting from the ground using a pistol the last few weeks. Having a lot of fun and seeing a bunch of deer.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 308ld

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PWcpjwS.mp4[/img]

Looks like a fun recovery in that last pic!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain

Shot by Grandson #1. Grandson..... "How are we going to him out of there?" Granddad ...."I can guaranty you my feet won't be wet!"

We got lucky. We were able to get a rope, with a slip knot, around the antler and we both pulled him out.

Ed
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain

Shot by Grandson #1. Grandson..... "How are we going to him out of there?" Granddad ...."I can guaranty you my feet won't be wet!"

We got lucky. We were able to get a rope, with a slip knot, around the antler and we both pulled him out.

Good deal. Your pictures look like what hunting in New England looks like in my mind.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Use to hunt from tree stands but I like to still hunt better.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I carry in a Summit climber but stop to rest every now and again. My age is 66. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
]

How to cool your meat.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/28/22.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.