Hop To
#17837808 11/25/22
S
se3388 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I haven't heard much about T/C lately so what is the latest info on them? I guess they are still not producing them.
Does S&W still own them and is just sitting on them waiting on someone to make an offer?

Steve............

Last edited by se3388; 11/25/22.

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For now, ded.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not just dead, but really most sincerely dead. That SSK clone appears to have left the room as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by se3388
I haven't heard much about T/C lately so what is the latest info on them? I guess they are still not producing them.
Does S&W still own them and is just sitting on them waiting on someone to make an offer?

Steve............

When I read your post, I emailed them asking that question. I own a couple of their actions and really like them. I expect the public answer will be something like, "Thanks for your interest. We are currently not in production." or something like that, but you never know.

I asked if they had plans to start manufacturing again. If they had any nibbles from buyers about TC. etc.

Pappy, it's a shame about SSK. My importer would handle them if they were available. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
se3388 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The following is what I have 'heard' on the net, so it's gotta be true, right. I believe it was the guy from Haus of Arms who teamed up with SSK to make their version and as Pappy said that effort has went away also. The Owner of Haus of Arms I believe has moved to Cabool, Mo. I wish S&W would start back manufacturing T/C stuff even if on a periodic basis. Surely T/C was making even a small profit for them.

Steve..............

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The following is what I have 'heard' on the net, so it's gotta be true, right. I believe it was the guy from Haus of Arms who teamed up with SSK to make their version and as Pappy said that effort has went away also. The Owner of Haus of Arms I believe has moved to Cabool, Mo. I wish S&W would start back manufacturing T/C stuff even if on a periodic basis. Surely T/C was making even a small profit for them.

Steve..............

Yes, a small run would be nice. Making enough money for it to be worth their time just isn't there, I guess. SSK still has a page listing it, but it says "out of stock".

https://www.sskfirearms.com/receiver-ssk-50-complete-1251.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Steve..............

I had a good chat with Marty one day on another matter. He was very helpful.

When the current crop of Tupperware rifles began, I thought it was gonna go hard on the switch-barrel business since you could get an entire rifle for about the price of a good barrel. Even TC joined in with their own versions and seemed to abandon that concept. Too bad.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The T/C Dimension switch barrel bolt rifle wasn't much to look at but, according to those I know who shot one, really shot well. They also offered left hand versions.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
True it seems SSK production of Contender frames is dead. However they still have stock on at least one important part:
https://www.sskfirearms.com/trigger-guard-70-1.html

On more than a few contenders, ep those used with higher power cartridges, those 2 "horns" that stick up become a problem. Those are the arms that engage/release the locking bolt on the barrel. Over time, too many hot loads the arms can become work softened and the tips begin to bend. When that happens the action becomes hard to open after firing and a bit unsafe maybe. The SSK part is a dead drop in and can save a fine older frame from the trash. I almost want to buy a spare just so that I have one laying around.

RAS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Steve..............

If S&W, with everything already in hand, doesn’t see a profit there, then it’s likely there isn't one, or not enough to justify the effort. Imagine then the possibilities for someone else trying to salvage the dregs. When Ruger bought the Marlin trademark and the parts and machinery, it’d deteriorated past redemption, so they had to start fresh. Actually that was a good thing for Marlin fans, as the new ones have been described by more than one reviewer as the best ones ever made. Naturally the price of the new ones reflects that, but better spendy than crappy.

Like Savage 99s, there’s probably enough used TC guns, barrels, and parts out there to keep the faithful in business.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
its a real shame in America that we can no longer buy new T.C. guns like the Contenders ,Encores ,barrels ,parts and those great muskets . Smith and Wesson did not do us any favors in ruining this great American gun company ! i sure wish someone could somehow buy and start manufacturing T.C. guns again !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
not to high jack the thread. looking for scope mounts, thanks

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
IMO S&W bought out T/C to eventually shut it down. After all they were their competitors. T/C’s we’re cheaper and along with the interchangeable barrels their versatility was unmatched. If they sell T/C to someone else they have competition again. I have shot T/C’s since 1979. Still have 2 Contenders, The Original and a G2 and an Encore along with several barrels. Got a 308 Win. being made at MGM now. Hope to take an Elk with it in a couple of years. I had hope that SSK would get the SSK-50 frame off and in production but the jury is still out on that one. Oh well we can only hope….🤔

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by texken
not to high jack the thread. looking for scope mounts, thanks

www.matchgrademachine.com

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 12/06/22.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Got my first one in about 1968. 45/410, 38 special, 22 long rifle. Total cost then was about $125. Can remember buying barrels, dealer cost, about $40 in 1975.
Down to one late G1 and two earlier carbines.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Railman
IMO S&W bought out T/C to eventually shut it down. After all they were their competitors. T/C’s we’re cheaper and along with the interchangeable barrels their versatility was unmatched. If they sell T/C to someone else they have competition again.

S&W approached Greg Ritz (then owner of T/C) about making the proprietary R10 rifle barrels for a S&W contract they had for the US Military. I don't know the specifics and how it got to that point, but Greg sold the entire operation to S&W...and walked away a very rich man.

S&W got what it wanted, and within a couple years, shut down T/C manufactured products.

Last edited by dtalbot; 01/04/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (358WCF, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 280shooter, 204guy, 35 invisible), 1,945 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,160
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.