Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Got rained out right after I set up, only put two 7+1 rounds downrange from seven yards.

Rudimentary sights, old eyes, no glasses, long heavy trigger, snappy recoil.

Opening try; eight 85gr Winchester Silvertip will-it-function-with-these not particularly carefully aimed....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Second try, a bit more careful, 7+1 Winchester 95 grain FMJ ball.

Then it started to rain.

Neither group anything to write home about, both groups I woulda prob’ly hit the guy.

To me the LCP is the much improved version of the cheap .25ACP Ravens so common in the 70’s and 80’s.

Rudimentary sights, difficult to engage the slide lock. Also considerable force to put in a full magazine with the slide closed.

I’d guess the slightly larger and slightly heavier 10+1 Ruger LCP II with its better sights would be a much better choice for most people wanting this class of pistol.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They’re great little pistols if they work for you.
I bought one for my wife right after the LCP II came out. I have trouble tripping the mag release when I shoot it. Small gun and big hands I guess or just the placement of the release.
I’ve never had that problem with any other semi auto I’ve shot. I have a Colt Pony I’ve had for many years if I need a pocket pistol.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Basically the same as I experienced with my LCP. It's the type of weapon that is best used at very close range. I was actually impressed with the damage the .380 round did to various media I shot at but the thing is so small and rudimentary it's hard to shoot well beyond 5-7 yards.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LCP max hits at 15 yards is a cakewalk with nice sights and an ok trigger

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My LCP gets pocket carried regularly in a Desantis superfly holster if Im going somewhere where deep concealment is prudent such as local minor league baseball ballpark that has "no weapons" signs etc. My usual carry load is a 7+1 mag with a JHP in the chamber and mag loaded with underwood hardcasts. Has functioned reliably with this loading in extensive testing.

I BRIEFLY had an LCP max but it wasnt as comfortable in the pocket as the smaller version, so I offloaded it.

I actually shoot the little thing decently and would be comfortable using it in a close range defensive situation.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The little gun is surprisingly accurate. I have the original model.

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve carried an original LCP for years. Plenty accurate and very reliable. Mine stays loaded with the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast load.
Only drawbacks are the sights suck and the slide is hard to lock back, with my large hands, I have a hard time grabbing hold of the slide.
Still, I can shoot it very well and accurately. It stays in my pocket from when I put my pants on in the morning and until I go to bed at night. No matter what larger pistol I’m toting for concealed carry.
I consider it my BUG if all else fails.

I’ve also got a LCP II in .22 lr. Better sights & better trigger than the original model. And much more fun to shoot in .22 caliber vs 380 acp. Capacity is 10 +1.

I’ll eventually buy one of the new LCP Max models.
Looked them over in my LGS a few times. Much better sights and better trigger than the original LCP.
And it’s not noticeably bigger by much IMO. The higher mag capacity and better sights make it worth it to me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought the LCP Max when they first came available and they fill the void of always have a gun on you because it fits good in my Wrangler or cargo pants front pocket. I wouldn’t want to try and stop a mass shooter with it, I can hit good with it close but move out to 20 yards and my groups open up. I would like to have a dollar for everyone Ruger has sold through the years.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I've got one of the original LCPs . Great gun for its intended purpose. Never meant as a target gun. Mine shoots well enough and it's small enough it gets carried when bigger stuff might get left home. Loaded with HSTs

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
I bought the LCP Max when they first came available and they fill the void of always have a gun on you because it fits good in my Wrangler or cargo pants front pocket. I wouldn’t want to try and stop a mass shooter with it, I can hit good with it close but move out to 20 yards and my groups open up. I would like to have a dollar for everyone Ruger has sold through the years.

Ruger pretty much destroyed Keltecs mini handgun market when they came out with the LCP.

I first had a SeeCamp 32 acp. Not reliable at all.
Then I bought a KelTec 32acp. Fed fine with FMJ stuff.
Then I got the KelTec P3AT in 380. It was ok, but I like the Ruger LCP much better.
Like I said. I’ll eventually get a LCP Max 380.
Probably keep my original LCP, too, though. It’s been with me a long long time.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Targets look fine to me for self defense. Lcp is what I carry most of the time. I have better options, but non as comfortable.

Romans 5:1
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Always thought the Bersa Thunder was a cool little gun.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I’ve carried an original LCP for years. Plenty accurate and very reliable. Mine stays loaded with the Buffalo Bore Hard Cast load.
Only drawbacks are the sights suck and the slide is hard to lock back, with my large hands, I have a hard time grabbing hold of the slide.
Still, I can shoot it very well and accurately. It stays in my pocket from when I put my pants on in the morning and until I go to bed at night. No matter what larger pistol I’m toting for concealed carry.

I’ve also got a LCP II in .22 lr. Better sights & better trigger than the original model. And much more fun to shoot in .22 caliber vs 380 acp. Capacity is 10 +1.

Looked them over in my LGS a few times. Much better sights and better trigger than the original LCP.
And it’s not noticeably bigger by much IMO. The higher mag capacity and better sights make it worth it to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P3AT shoots better than expected.
But is darn hard to shoot well. I know in a hurry, under stress, I couldn't shoot mine good enough to get decent hits at more than a few feet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Your Man Crush is flattering but boring as schitt Little Man. It’s a shame Mental and Physical Midgets like you have a one track mind. Maybe you can get some high heels at the KEDS kiddie store so you can feel taller and not so inadequate about your size and shortcomings. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited by chlinstructor; 11/26/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
Targets look fine to me for self defense. Lcp is what I carry most of the time. I have better options, but non as comfortable.

I’m left handed but right eye dominant, fixed-sight handguns generally shoot to the left of point of aim for me, as happened here. Or maybe it’s my trigger pull I dunno.

I am discovering how very easily this little pistol packs in a front pocket. Currently I’m using the same Remora pocket holster I use for my S&W Airweight.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Indeed, and inexpensive. 23oz unloaded though, a bit heavy to pack in a pocket.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

That LCP must be right lively in the hand with that Buffalo Bore load, but I plan to go the same route.

My only concern with the LCPII and Max versions is the trigger.

In a pocket handgun I prefer a long, heavy double-action trigger and no safety, about like a revolver.

In the close confines of a pocket safeties can get flipped off and I figure even with a pocket holster all sorts of things can happen, like me absent-mindedly putting my car keys in that same pocket.

Sounds improbable said keys could lever the trigger but over the decades I’ve had keys occasionally snag in all sorts of improbable ways.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by DollarShort

Indeed, and inexpensive. 23oz unloaded though, a bit heavy to pack in a pocket.
They do have the CC version.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
In a pocket handgun I prefer a long, heavy double-action trigger and no safety, about like a revolver.

If you can shoot a S&W J-frame double action, and I believe you can, you'll have no trouble learning to like the trigger on the original LCP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
589 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.