Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What is the best knife sharpener for quick and good results. I have carbon steel and stainless steel knives and it seems I'm always trying to get them sharp. I have tried many that cost under $25 that don't give good results. I've reached the point where cost is no object. Thanks, Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wicked Edge if cost is no object.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Edge Pro

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve used a Lansky system for decades on knives and broadheads. It takes a little getting used to, but works very well. It works well for blades under about 5”, and less so for longer blades.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arkansas oil stones - medium and highest density grades.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/27/22.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Norton aluminum oxide fine grit India stone is the best stone I've used for all steels.I use a light oil and it takes the steel off quick.
https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-us/product/india-ao-single-grit-benchstone

Another stone I like is an Eze-Lap diamond stone.For the sharpest edge,I like the super fine,but over time after the stone gets broke in well the fine grit will get it done too.These stones start out a little on the rough side,but the more you use them the better they get.I keep a 6"x2" stone in the kitchen to keep my knife edges really sharp.The thing I like about these is they require no oil or water.
http://eze-lap.com/woodworking_shop_machine_use/diamond-stone/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can relate to your frustration trying to sharpen a knife, plane, leather tools and blades of any kind. I have worn out several decent knives and stones trying to get the knives sharp. Finally decided to learn how to sharpen before I died. I watched lots of videos and learned a little from each one. Finally learned to sharpen a blade on a stone. The secret is the angle and the burr. Takes some practice to use a stone effectively. There are many different kinds of stones. They will all work. I think a stone and strop is the best way to sharpen and maintain an edge if you have the time and are willing to go through the learning curve. The Lansky system incorporates an angle guide and uses stones to create the edge.
Mechanical sharpeners are easier and usually create an acceptable edge. I haven't found one that gets the blade really sharp. They also grind away part of the blade each time. There are probably some very good mechanical sharpeners and I would imagine you get what you pay for.
Ask what time it is and someone always tells you how to make a watch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've gone from stones, to a Lansky, to an Edge Pro and Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've tried the Worksharp.

All of the above worked. I wasn't impressed enough with the Work-sharp to use it on anything other than cheap knives. I used the Lansky for many years and it worked well.

Anymore, I break out the Edge-Pro only occasionally when my blade needs some work from to too much use. Normally, I just do about a minute or two of touch up with the Sharpmaker every few days and that keeps my EDC knife sharp.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't just sharpen knives, to build a log cabin I am sharpening 4 or 5 chisels and I need 'em sharp. I have ceramic sticks, I have whet stones, and I have the little flat plastic sticks with the diamond sharpener.

The best knife sharpener is the Edge Eater. You can buy one on Ebay for 14 bucks. Sharpens with a slightly coarse edge that cuts so effectively. You can sharpen a knife with the Edge Eater in about 45 seconds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you re over 40 and can’t use stones well, then you never will. Get a Worksharp. With a 10 minute learning curve you will have the sharpest knives in camp. Once you use knives that are very sharp your life will never be the same. All your tasks become easier and the Sun will shine brighter. Desirable people will seek your company. 😏

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use a Ken Onion worksharp

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Tormek, Ken Onion, paper wheels, lansky and probably close to $500 in stones.

The sharpener needs to fit the steel. A fine example is my German Henckel knives. They're close to if not over 5 years old and have NEVER seen anything but the steel in the block. The edge just needs to be rolled back into place.

A cheap steel needs to have enough meat removed to forma a burr and a steep enough angle to hold the edge. For this, the onion is fast....but it's hungry.

Average carbon steels do REALLY WELL on the paper wheels. The Tormek is an amazing sharpener, but for the price, I feel the paper does a better job......now if you mix 3 blade broadheads into that....

The worksharp guided field sharpener is the very best inexpensive unit I've ever used. I have one in my pack, travel trailer and at work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a stones guy, was raised to-be obsessed about an edge and took a beatin' or two as a kid over failures to return razor sharp knives to my Dad.

I do like diamond lapping stones for removing a wire burr but strops and crock sticks work too ... depends upon the steel.

As some have already said, it's about learning to keep a proper angle, depending upon the bevel and grade, on both sides ... and about removing that wire burr.

That wire burr .... if I really want a special edge like for my skinner or my straight razor or even for my EDC automatic, I'll finish with 2000 grit wet and then strop.

I'm all for mechanical sharpeners when I'm in a hurry and doing kitchen knives, but hand sharpening with stones is really the only way to go unless you're using wet dipped stone wheels Japanese style with the bigger choppers, cleavers, axes and hatchets, etc.

One other thing worth adding. Sharpening is an art form and good sharpeners don't make time to sharpen, they sharpen all the time during spare time. Sitting around on the porch, sitting watching TV, standing around under the trees watching your dogs .... I always have a small set of stones in the truck or in my pocket or on the bench or on the table in the family room next to my favorite chair.

When family comes to visit they'll bring their knives for me to sharpen. When I got to hunt camp or fish camp the guys are always handing me their knives to sharpen around the fire.

Other guys on this forum know what I am talking about ... it's an art form. My Grandpappy was always sharpening his knives. My Dad, he passed away on the 26th of last month, but a week earlier while we were watching the Bama/UT game I handed him my new EDC knife to check out and he takes it and shaves hair off his arm ... smiles and hands it back to me. He was almost 90.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Radda

I have about 10 of them

Each truck has one or two

One or two in the kitchen, shop, packs ect.

They even bring a Havalon blade back to deadly sharp in one swipe

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worksharp Precision Adjust.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I have ended my search for a sharpener thats very easy to get a razor edge it was pretty reasonable under 200$ its a Wicked Edge GO ,perfect for what i do!

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by pappabear
Edge Pro

Another vote for edge pro, you can get a knife wicked sharp and durable, plenty of cheap drag through sharpeners that will put a edge on, typically lack any durability. A durable blade needs to be honed, polished and stropped.
Usally sharpen kitchen knives every couple of years and they last pretty well. Sometimes a quick tune up with a steel round, not diamond, not ceramic.
Cheap sharpeners are for cheap knives as they will shorten the life of a quality blade.

Your mileage may vary, to each his owneus...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lansky. Been using it since the 1980's with no issues

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been using a 2 inch belt grinder with a few hundred bucks worth of belts and rouge 😊
Works great with axes too.

Seriously, not the answer for most folks. My grandpa could sharpen on stones freehand; I can’t. One thing all methods have in common is this - if you don’t raise a burr, it’s not sharp. Secondly, all methods other than freehand use some hardware to keep the blades angle against the stone aka bevel constant. If you can achieve that it’s a matter of selecting increasing grits unto a hone.

Still looking for a kitchen one. Dull knives are annoying.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
152 members (1911a1, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 264mag, 21 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 646 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,240
Posts18,371,418
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.