-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always thought, having a rifle like that would have many plus factors to it.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks like a Hartford model, Hartford collar on barrel and pewter forend tip. Rifle butt should make a nice hunting rifle. When bench shooting keep your torso as vertical as possible so the top of the butt doesn't nail you...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I literally knew nothing about them... but then poof! One landed in my life. I build a lot of rifles and do custom machine work, looking at the fit and finish on this one.....they definitely put love into them.

I have my eye on the fancy sights.....

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful. Perfect.

Seems to good to be true and if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't. How have you worked out the provenance?

Doesn't really matter. Nice firearm no matter what.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
niiiiiice

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Likely the only rifle in my safe that appreciates.

What might those slugs be, and any issue with nose slumping? A little sharper nose than I typically see.

Probably the finest commercial workmanship of any company in the US. Fit and finish is literally perfection. A 45-90 here. Long Range Express with a heavy barrel. Weighs about 15 lbs, and I'd like to drop an elk with it someday.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/27/22.

1Minute
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by high_country_
I literally knew nothing about them... but then poof! One landed in my life. I build a lot of rifles and do custom machine work, looking at the fit and finish on this one.....they definitely put love into them.

I have my eye on the fancy sights.....
Buffalo arms sells everything you need. More than a few tang sight makers out there. I can whole-heartedly recommend MVA FOR THE REAR. Yes, they sell fronts also. Last couple of front sights I bought were ones by Lee Shaver he sells one that is a little larger diameter than the #111 Shiloh or the #111 MVA. The Shaver has a spirit level built in for the same money as the other two. All 3 sights have an excellent selection of frt sight inserts availible. Another plus for the Shaver is instead of a flimsy leaf spring to retain the insert it has a screw in tube extension to do that function so no more snagging the sight leaf spring while un casing it. Shooting steel gongs out to 1000 yds is a most enjoyable pastime. Depending on your load a mid range rear will get to 800 but farther you need the long range staff. A normal original style lr staff only has about 12 moa right and left of ctr with a perfect dead wind zero. Those who shoot out to 800 know you will run out of windage and opt for a Soule type sight with 22 moa left and right windage. More often than not on the Montana prairies and river breaks you will need a buffalo Soule with 44 moa l and r to stay in the game. Questions?..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/27/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Very nice score! I get a kick outta Hickock, shoots, hits steel, laughs....!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks bob. I have some shaver inserts for my williams and palma globes. The lyman is obviously smaller. I think a rifle like this deserves to be wrung out to the best of my eye sight.

As for the bullets.....I know nothing about them. I was told they were sized for this gun in 1984.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
High country what is the serial # ? Just put 2 x's for the last 2 numbers any prefix or suffix on it ? B? Those bullets are out of a Lyman Schmittzer mold. Use them up but when you decide to buy a mold a rn or fn will serve you better for hunting...mb

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Nice. What caliber ? Time to book a Bison Hunt ! 🤠

Exactly! I had an old friend, he has since passed on, but he had one of these and he took a huge bison out west with it one year. Bucket list item of his. Check!

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good score !!! No . . . GREAT score !!!

I've got 2 - Shiloh '74s in the safe. A Hartford in 45-70 and a #3 Sporter in 45-90. They both like the Lyman 457125 (Govt), 457132 (Postell) as well as the 457193 (RNFP) and 457122 (HP). All grease grooved bullets in front of real BP.

Have fun !

BTW - I did get to shoot a 2 y/o Buffalo with my Hartford, so if you get a chance . . . do it . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
That’s very nice!!!! Well done!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been on a quest for swiss black powder for a year. I'm sitting on some muzzleloaders and this thing that need it.

I'll be making my own if it doesn't get better soon.

How many shots on bp before you must clean it?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've been on a quest for swiss black powder for a year. I'm sitting on some muzzleloaders and this thing that need it.

You can periodically put a wet patch down the barrel, followed by a dry one, as you're shooting.

Shoot all day like that. Just do a proper cleaning (involving water) within 24 hours after your last shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Only 12 rounds? Remember that every shot you take reduces it's value.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I make a mixture of “moose milk” which is Ballistol and water. I just run a jag of that through every 3-4 shots or so.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
High country what is the serial # ? Just put 2 x's for the last 2 numbers any prefix or suffix on it ? B? Those bullets are out of a Lyman Schmittzer mold. Use them up but when you decide to buy a mold a rn or fn will serve you better for hunting...mb

It is a B25xx

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LoadClear

I make a mixture of “moose milk” which is Ballistol and water. I just run a jag of that through every 3-4 shots or so.
Moose Milk is the best approach, IMO. It's what I use, too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

621 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,257
Posts18,448,126
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.