24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone have problems with Reloder 15 and hard carbon deposits that require and lot of brushing and patching to remove?

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot well over 500 pounds of '15. Nope. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never had an issue with it. I'm guessing you trimmed your case too short.

Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.

I think I've forgotten this before.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
RE15 is silly easy to clean up after, as long as the barrel in question isn't a total sewer pipe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No carbon deposited here.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
No problem in my rifle and it's all I've ever used in my .35 Whelen.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't think of any stick powders I use that leave much carbon. R-15 has been one of the cleaner ones, even at lower pressures.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 300Savage
Anyone have problems with Reloder 15 and hard carbon deposits that require and lot of brushing and patching to remove?

What kind of rifle are you working with? Loads? Fill in the blanks a little more..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have used the reloder 15 in 4 different calibers. What I refer to is after I get get the barrel clean with many patches and Hoppes number 9 and or a good copper cleaner if I see streaks, not often. I will run a bronze brush down the bore (not after I use copper cleaner) and then run a patch with Hoppes number 9 and it comes out black. That is what I refer to as powder residue, What else could cause a black patch but powder. Some of you may want to try this yourself. Run a bronze brush down the barrel a couple of times and then run a clean patch with hoppes or even gun oil and see if it comes out black.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Step up your solvent game.

Try Bore Tech Eliminator, or Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV which is not just for copper.

Last edited by mathman; 11/29/22. Reason: added text
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 300Savage
I have used the reloder 15 in 4 different calibers. What I refer to is after I get get the barrel clean with many patches and Hoppes number 9 and or a good copper cleaner if I see streaks, not often. I will run a bronze brush down the bore (not after I use copper cleaner) and then run a patch with Hoppes number 9 and it comes out black. That is what I refer to as powder residue, What else could cause a black patch but powder. Some of you may want to try this yourself. Run a bronze brush down the barrel a couple of times and then run a clean patch with hoppes or even gun oil and see if it comes out black.
Run about 3 patches of J-B Bore Paste down the barrel after a first patch with Kroil or Hoppe's 9, follow up with 2 or 3 patches with more Kroil or #9 and you shouldn't get any more black out of the barrel.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used a lot of it.. was one of my favorite powders, before you can never find it on a shelf anymore...

All I've ever done is run a bore snake down the barrel after I'm done shooting or hunting...
Most of that has been in Stainless barreled factory Rugers Mk2, in a variety of calibers...

never had an issue and those barrels are high milers, but still accurate so never had the need to replace them ...

look down the barrel with a bore scope and they look just fine..

A gun smith friend or acquaintences have told me, that they think most barrels they get to replace were worn out by overcleaning them.

Four of them local to the area... Chick Donnelly, Kevin Wyatt, Bob West, and Mike Bellm.... three of those guys trained under P.O. Ackley..
Kevin Wyatt, he was trained by the US Marine Corps.

I follow there experiences...and advise.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mathman
Step up your solvent game.

Try Bore Tech Eliminator, or Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV which is not just for copper.

Cleaning game in general.

I usually do a total clean every 5 rounds I seldom go over 10 rds. I've never saw a fouling problem. I did go over this when I shot some F Class.

Some might think this is excessive but....I have always hunt with a clean lightly lubricated barrel and I want to know what my gun does with a clean barrel.

I use Dewey rods and Possum Hollow bore guides with solvent ports....ran up on a new cleaning patch a while back it's triangular in shape and is the best patch I've ever used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On hunting rifles i clean at the end of the season. Rifles I shoot a lot such as prairie dog rifles I’ll clean Them more often.
I have most bore cleaners on my bench. When I buy a used rifle I’ll clean it to bare metal and then I Dyna-Bore coat it. Cleaning to bare metal can sometimes mean JB Bore cleaner on patches wrapped around a brush. If there’s lots of copper I’ll use various copper cleaners too.
On my other rifles I’ll use a foaming bore cleaner that gets both copper and carbon out easily.

The worst rifle for buil up I’ve seen that I can remember was a ~1950 vintage 30-06. When I first looked down the bore I thought I’d be giving Shaw a call.

As far as powder residue I suppose some powders are worse than others but it’s not really an issue after dyna-bore treatment.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/02/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
... As far as powder residue I suppose some powders are worse than others ...

H335 vs TAC in my 223 shows this well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
738 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 74 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.