Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jungleland
The wife says once she can no longer handle the goldens we typically get, she's getting a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I find them to be a bit homely, but she's been around a lot of them over the years and says their temperament is top notch.

https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/cavalier-king-charles-spaniel/
One of my customers is a Cavalier King Charles and Cavapoo breeder. She told me that the Cavs were the sweetest dogs ever, but not very bright. She says they are the blondes of the dog world. 😄

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks! Chilinstructo

SM = Small Munsterlander

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
get a small female whpg about 40 lbs

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here's another vote for a mini aussie/american shepard. Google Faithwalk Aussies! Breeder is switching from full size aussies to mini american shepards. Knows her stuff. You will have to pass the sniff test to get one of her pups.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Here's another vote for a mini aussie/american shepard. Google Faithwalk Aussies! Breeder is switching from full size aussies to mini american shepards. Knows her stuff. You will have to pass the sniff test to get one of her pups.
What is she gonna sniff, my finger? Before or afterwards? 😄

Sorry - satan made me do it.😏

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had Papilions most of my adult life, hence the avatar. Only 1 yapper. However, they are not an outdoors dog or hardy when it comes to running thru weeds and such. I think you need to look at a mini Australian Shepard, but first go to you local pound/shelter(s) and check out what they have to offer. Something might just fit the bill.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Plenty of good ones suggested. I can tell you first hand do NOT get a German Wirehair or Drathaar😂 My female is 45 pounds, like Velcro on you but is hell on wheels when you let her outside. Highly intelligent but I wonder if there is ever an off switch with her.

A Boykin may be a good fit. I was going to get a Boykin but didn’t want too small of a dog, then ended up with a smallish Wirehair that isn’t much bigger than a Boykin male 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 11/26/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Why in the fugk would someone want to breed a good breed down to a mini. I never could understand that. She doesn't know jack scjit!

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska

Why in the fugk would someone want to breed a good breed down to a mini. I never could understand that. She doesn't know jack scjit!
She's not breeding anything "down" as the Mini American is a separate, distinct breed of it's own. They've been around for over 60 years and are every bit as "good" as any full-size breed when it comes to herding or agility. They're tough little dogs, able to work outside in all weather conditions over any terrain.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Cairn Terrier. Great smaller dog IMO. No shedding and tough as nails.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Neutered male cat

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Neutered male cat
Thanks for your suggestion. However, I believe I specified "dog" in both the thread title and the first post.
Try again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look at a moyen (medium) poodle, they are around 15-25 pounds at maturity.

That's said in my gruffest, manliest voice, since up until a year ago I never would have even considered a breed with such a foo-foo reputation. But looking at the characteristics for the standard and moyen they check all the right boxes - low to no shedding, very smart - supposedly only border collies are smarter, athletic, sociable, low potential for barking or drooling. Since they were bred as hunting dogs they still have a good prey drive but aren't prone to running off.

There are usually a few standards romping around at the park I walk through daily and with their natural coat, i.e. not those silly pompadours, they are very well developed and good looking animals.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Look at a moyen (medium) poodle, they are around 15-25 pounds at maturity.

That's said in my gruffest, manliest voice, since up until a year ago I never would have even considered a breed with such a foo-foo reputation. But looking at the characteristics for the standard and moyen they check all the right boxes - low to no shedding, very smart - supposedly only border collies are smarter, athletic, sociable, low potential for barking or drooling. Since they were bred as hunting dogs they still have a good prey drive but aren't prone to running off.

There are usually a few standards romping around at the park I walk through daily and with their natural coat, i.e. not those silly pompadours, they are very well developed and good looking animals.
Thanks - I will check them out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jack and Rock think they are lap dogs .

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Any of the herding dogs,border collies Aussi shepards,etc will be extremely hyper. Watch any agility trails and you will see them.The half dozen around here seem to be barkers too. They are bred to work and need a job.The heelers don't seem to be as hyper,but they also need job or get into mischief.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Any of the herding dogs,border collies Aussi shepards,etc will be extremely hyper. Watch any agility trails and you will see them.The half dozen around here seem to be barkers too. They are bred to work and need a job.The heelers don't seem to be as hyper,but they also need job or get into mischief.
That's what I've witnessed too.
I'm getting ready to retire - I don't need a dog that "needs a job".😄

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like the little terriers especially JRTs … my last was a barker, but I halfway blame myself for encouraging him to “git em”…his momma and brother are the type dog you’re looking for.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another breed to consider might be the Brittany Spaniel. They go about 40 lbs full grown for the ladies. We had one when I was a kid-superb upland bird dog, as long as she was run a 10k or so before grouse were on the menu. My experience is that if you're willing to be a despot with them, they are well behaved canines.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As an avid upland hunter that runs shorthairs, I recommend a Corgi.
Lol
My girlfriend came with one and honestly, that Corgi is the only small dog I have ever liked.
Quiet, driven, hilariously proportioned. Fetching machine, actually smiles all the time.
Also, easy to exercise. Legs are 4” long. Yet can keep up on a bike ride.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.