Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine got a thumbs down from me, others thought it was good, but not great.

I usually deep fry mine in a Masterbuilt electric Turkey fryer. This year I didn’t want to deal with the oil and decided to spatchcock it, dry brine it and cook it on the pellet smoker.

It was moist and juicy, but the smoke just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it was my choice of wood, Duno. What I do know is that I won’t smoke another one on the pellet grill.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Then I got to thinking about these Char-Broil oil-less fryers.

Bought one yesterday.

Cooked a whole chicken this morning, 1 hour and 10 minutes

Crispy skin, real moist and juicy. Gunna try a Turkey and a prime rib next.

I think I like this thing.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used a cooking bag as always. 325 until the button pops, then just a bit more. Tender and juicy.

Used to try and buy fresh ones, but this free frozen one turned out just excellent.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used a cooking bag as always. 325 until the button pops, then just a bit more. Tender and juicy.

Used to try and buy fresh ones, but this free frozen one turned out just excellent.
My wife used to do that, after I busted her countertop roaster I do em outside as there is no room in her oven with all the other shcit she has going.

Maybe I’ll buy another one of those as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did mine in the pellet grill. Covered in butter-soaked cheese clothe until the last half hour, then pulled the cloth and finished in the oven

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanksgiving turkey is still hind teat when it comes to domesticated meats. the order is cow, swine barely back, chicken a bit above tofu, and then turkey. Gimmee some serious bread, Duke's mayo, Stoneridge 5 year old chedder, and real butter plus T-giving turkey grilled up in iron and gottdammn that's good eatin'!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chris_c
Did mine in the pellet grill. Covered in butter-soaked cheese clothe until the last half hour, then pulled the cloth and finished in the oven
Ate the cloth?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Then I got to thinking about these Char-Broil oil-less fryers.

Bought one yesterday.

My brother bought one of those a few years ago. Turkey turns out so good the turkey fryer is retired.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Pappy348

My wife used to do that, after I busted her countertop roaster I do em outside as there is no room in her oven with all the other shcit she has going.

Maybe I’ll buy another one of those as well.

When the turkey is done, I leave it in the bag while the dressing and GBC cook, and put the potatoes on to boil. I mash them and leave them covered in the pot while I do the gravy. Last step is to carve enough bird for that first serving. Everything came together again, no reheating needed.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
my son in law has taken over the turkey cooking. He fried one, and smoked the second on his Big Green Egg. Both were outstanding. My daughter hosts the feast now, and all I have to do is show up with a side dish (my signature yellow Squash casserole) and a dessert. (just the best tasting Pecan Pie known to man).
I also brought a gallon of my salted, honey roasted mixed nuts. Pecan and Walnut halves, with Whole Cashews.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ours turned out to be the best we'd ever done.

We had over 15 people over, so brother and I had a turkey cook off. His in deep fryer, ours in Traeger.

I did a 20 hour brine in the Meat Church "Bird Baptism" brine.

Pulled it an hour and a half prior to cooking.

Stuffed breast with 1/2 lb butter, rosemary, thyme, sage, minced garlic and softened butter mixture.

Threw in a chopped up bulb of garlic, more rosemary, thyme and sage into the cavity.

Rubbed outside down with olive oil, and put on a good dose of garlic paprika dry rub.

Onto the Traeger at 300* for 3.5 hours, with a smoke tube added for more smoke.

Sprayed turkey down with apple juice every 30 minutes of cook time.

Pulled it when breast was at 160*, and thigh was 175*, and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Came out amazing. The smoked turkey was the clear winner. Incredibly juicy, tender, and just tasty as hell.

Will never do it any other way after how this one turned out. I'm not a turkey fan, but I could not get enough of it.

Last edited by DaveR; 11/27/22.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Me

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It was good, smoked it on pit with mesquite

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DaveR
Ours turned out to be the best we'd ever done.

We had over 15 people over, so brother and I had a turkey cook off. His in deep fryer, ours in Traeger.

I did a 20 hour brine in the Meat Church "Bird Baptism" brine.

Pulled it an hour and a half prior to cooking.

Stuffed breast with 1/2 lb butter, rosemary, thyme, sage, minced garlic and softened butter mixture.

Threw in a chopped up bulb of garlic, more rosemary, thyme and sage into the cavity.

Rubbed outside down with olive oil, and put on a good dose of garlic paprika dry rub.

Onto the Traeger at 300* for 3.5 hours, with a smoke tube added for more smoke.

Sprayed turkey down with apple juice every 30 minutes of cook time.

Pulled it when breast was at 160*, and thigh was 175*, and let it rest for 1/2 hour.

Came out amazing. The smoked turkey was the clear winner. Incredibly juicy, tender, and just tasty as hell.

Will never do it any other way after how this one turned out. I'm not a turkey fan, but I could not get enough of it.

What did you use for pellets?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I feel sorry for those who have never had a properly cooked turkey

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ours turned out to be a dried out ham that was like shoe leather.
My girl left it in the oven until her 40ish boy showed up an hour late.

It is good for soup and Bean meat now.

Do not care for Turkey much.
Rather have a Good Oven Baked Chicken

I have had 2 Deep Fried Turkeys and the best part of them was the skin.
They are the Best Turkeys that I have ever eaten.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I got about 1/2 way thru the first plate and got that nausea feeling.Swallowing like hell sweat beads feeling I know it won’t the turkey wifey cooked that.My mom on the other hand cooks [bleep] from boxes way beyond there expire date I’m sure it was that🤢

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I bought a Butterball turkey breast roast. Pretty easy to get them right. You just have to start checking the internal temperature about a half hour before you estimate it will take to oven roast it. In fact, I just finished off the last of it by making a turkey salad sandwich for lunch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ours was great. She brined it for 24 hours then roasted in convection oven. Very moist, tender and flavorful

living the good life every day
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The wife asked me to bring home the biggest Tom I could find. 🤣

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.