Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ahem.....

Photos, or it never happened.

grin

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Working on it...

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hopefully a pic.

Attached Images
20221127_103002z.jpg (38.5 KB, 192 downloads)
Last edited by Featherweight6555; 11/27/22.

" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You got a nice one....

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you! I was truly surprised at its condition when I received it. This was one of those times that pics didn't lie. I'm very happy with it.

NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have its twin. I always shoot standard velocity ammo, but don't know if that's a requirement or not.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It's not. Any second or third series is good to go with HV. First series pistols with the checkered oval on the MS housing are SV only. First series with the serrated oval are good with HV...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice work figuring out posting pics. The elevation tool in the trigger guard is a fine choice along with the green cloth…. Shows that wood grip very nicely. You sure don’t need us to tell you this is a score.
Have fun with it. I am always looking for an excuse to get our woodsman out to the range. If I used it on the cat at our house, I’d be lookin for a spot in Huntsman’s bunkhouse, after the lawyers got done chewing off most of my backside and setting me up for a lifetime of alimony payments……. ah once again the guy out east looks to the west and admires the view. Keep sending those Western “Sunsets” Huntsman wink

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I really like the looks of that non-tapered barrel. I had to have a Woodsman Sport 2nd Issue just like my grandad's pistol (which ended up with one of his sons who's an anti-Second commie and has pretty much trashed the gun) for nostalgia's sake. I kinda wish he's bought a Huntsman instead, but I DO like the Woodsman.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Me too, eddie.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which model is that, Don?

I had to get mine outa the safe to look at it...it's been a while. Mine has fixed sights, and I definitely didn't recall that. And while the barrel is slightly tapered it is much less so than I recalled. I should shoot it again soon...I never even checked it out to see what ammo it likes.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
second series Sport with huntsman grips

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a nice lookin gun.

Your statement that a Huntsman is like a less expensive Woodsman having fixed sights, etc. had me thinking "WTF?" for a few minutes, until I looked at colt22.com as you suggested. The site shows one like mine and states that they were made from mid-1949 to mid-1950 and a serial number check on mine confirms that it was made in 1950. I wasn't aware that there were that many variations among the Second Issue offerings. That's a good website to know!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mine's a bit of a beater cosmetically, but I wanted something I could carry without worrying too much about the things that can happen when you do that. It came to me with some cobbled up grips, which I replaced with these. I don't care much about the originality...just wanted a shooter.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, some of the early 2nd's had fixed like your'un, and the AF survival pistols. The reason mine looks good, is that it is a re-blue that I bought cheap because whoever put it back together screwed up the trigger and sideplate. The pistol was unoperable. When I pointed that out to the shop, they heavily discounted it. It was an easy fix once I got it home. I wasn't going to tell THEM that, as nobody there was capable of the fix anyway. Here's a pic of the sideplate not flush.....

I put the pic on the colt forum and none of the experts there picked up on it either, until I pointed it out.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Me too, eddie.....

Which model exactly is this with the adjustable sights.

Where usually is the point of impact with the fixed sighted Colt Huntsmen pistols? At what distances are they sighted in?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Second series Sport(as already stated) It 'sports' the Coltmaster rear sight that all seconds 'sport', unless fixed. Here's a 4" MT with same sight...

3rd series used fixed, Accro, or Eliason sights across the models.....

first series used fixed (with 2 kinds of fronts), 2 different dovetailed adjustable rears with 2 different apertures depending on front style. Round notch for use with bead sights, square notch for use with patridge

edit to add...
Colt also used a different, cheesy, fragile adjustable rear on its 3rd series Targetsman

Last edited by huntsman22; 11/28/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don, very interesting. And very good pics.

Besides the internet is there any literatur about the Colt Woodsman and Huntsman pistols? Lots of stuff about SAA and Seven Serpents but I can't find anything dealing with the Colt 22 pistols in depth.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Hopefully a pic.

Nice!

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love the second series Colt Woodsman's

Got mine for Christmas when I was 14, best damned Christmas I ever had.

After I got out of the Army, I was going to shoot bullseye with it, local gunsmith questioned my choice... "it's got to function or you'll hold everyone up while you shoot alibi's" (shots you were allowed if your gun malfunctioned). Well we had to wait for the alibi's to be shot, but it wasn't from my Woodman... it was from his top of the line target pistol.

Jerry
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 77 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,450 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.