Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
https://www.nationalreview.com/news...-weapon-calling-term-highly-politicized/

Avoid Using ‘Assault Weapon,’ Calling Term ‘Highly Politicized’

In a Wednesday tweet, the Associated Press Stylebook reiterated guidance advising journalists to refrain from using the terms “assault weapon” and “assault rifle,” which they call “highly politicized.”

“The preferred term for a rifle that fires one bullet each time the trigger is pulled, and automatically reloads for a subsequent shot, is a semi-automatic rifle. An automatic rifle continuously fires rounds if the trigger is depressed and until its ammunition is exhausted,” reads a July 2022 style tip, recommending their usage over more general references to “assault” weaponry.

According to the Stylebook, which is adhered to by newsrooms across the country, the “assault” label “convey[s] little meaning about the actual functions of the weapon.” While the Stylebook change was first made in 2020, conservatives have long derided the modifier as misleading and imprecise.

Stephen Gutowski, founder of The Reload, an outlet dedicated to coverage of firearms policy, reacted on Twitter by expressing his agreement with the guidance, calling it “very good.”

President Joe Biden and members of his party in Congress have called for the reinstatement of an “assault weapons ban,” referring to a provision included in the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act.

In that bill, “assault weapons” were defined as semi-automatic rifles with two or more features from a list that included bayonet mounts, grenade launchers, and pistol grips. Certain specific models, including Colt AR-15s, were also not allowed to be manufactured for civilian use under the ban, although weapons already lawfully possessed before its passage were grandfathered in.

Although studies have come to varying conclusions on the efficacy of the ban, with most calling its effects negligible, it has been observed that a vast majority of crimes committed with firearms are perpetrated using firearms not defined as “assault weapons” by the 1994 bill.

The AP’s guidance, highlighted in a tweet on Wednesday, marked a rare ruling that pleased political conservatives. Previous guidance on gender issues and urban violence had been criticized for accepting progressive premises.

https://reason.com/volokh/2022/07/1...assault-rifle-and-semi-automatic-weapon/
The Volokh Conspiracy
I don't agree with everything in the AP Stylebook, but I think this guidance is sound (and I think it's generally useful for prominent media organizations to offer such suggestions to writers):

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXkl1dvWAAA_1Vc?format=png[/img]

Thanks to Alan Gottlieb (Second Amendment Foundation) for pointing this out.

https://www.saf.org/associated-press-makes-smart-gun-change-to-style-book-says-saf/

ASSOCIATED PRESS MAKES SMART GUN CHANGE TO STYLE BOOK, SAYS SAF
BELLEVUE, WA – After years of incorporating the terms “assault rifle” and “assault weapons” into news reports involving firearms, especially when used in crimes, journalists are now advised by the Associated Press to avoid the “highly politicized terms,” and the Second Amendment Foundation says it’s a “smart gun change.”

“It’s about time the media realized the terms ‘assault rifle’ and ‘assault weapon’ are inflammatory and meaningless,” said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “Those terms have become part of the gun prohibition lobby’s lexicon, and unfortunately, journalists across the country have been all-too-willing to adopt their vocabulary and repeatedly use it in their reports.

“I’m glad to see the AP Stylebook now recognizes that these firearms only fire one round each time a trigger is pulled,” he continued, “and really function no differently than any other semi-auto rifle, pistol or shotgun, all of which have been in common use in this country for more than a century.”

According to an AP Style Tip, “The preferred term for a rifle that fires one bullet each time the trigger is pulled, and automatically reloads for a subsequent shot, is a semi-automatic rifle. An automatic rifle continuously fires rounds if the trigger is depressed and until its ammunition is exhausted.

“Avoid assault rifle and assault weapon,” the AP adds, “which are highly politicized terms that generally refer to AR- or AK-style rifles designed for the civilian market, but convey little meaning about the actual functions of the weapon.”

As noted by Gottlieb, “The gun prohibition lobby has always used ‘assault rifle’ or ‘assault weapon’ to confuse and frighten the public and make people think it’s a fully automatic ‘weapon of war.’ Now we’ll have to see how intellectually honest journalists will be in adopting this correct terminology, rather than continuing to use these deliberately misleading references.

“This laudable effort by the Associated Press may help restore the level of trust the public should have in the media,” he observed. “It will be interesting to see if the media now challenges politicians and anti-gun lobbyists whenever they use such terms, especially since ‘AR’ never referred to ‘assault rifle’ but to Armalite Rifle, and the gun control crowd has always known it.”

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think that they did it as a strategic move. This will allow them to target a broader category of weapons for their ban.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I think that they did it as a strategic move. This will allow them to target a broader category of weapons for their ban.

Yep.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
But there’s no mean tweets

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

#LongGunsTrending

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

100%.

The AP was captured long ago and has been a mouthpiece for Jewish propaganda ever since.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Hopefully making their attempts seem overreaching and unreasonable.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A

How does Alan Gottlieb of The Second Amendment Foundation figure into this conspiracy?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Stickfight

100%.

The AP was captured long ago and has been a mouthpiece for Jewish propaganda ever since.

Is Alan Gottlieb of The Second Amendment Foundation part of this Jewish propaganda machine?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
AP: Black is a person, black is a color and white is a person and color.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Frankly, all the whining and screaming about how "it's not an assault rifle!!!!" has been detrimental. Instead of standing up for the Right to Bear Arms, no matter what they are called, the enemy has maneuvered us into a pointless argument about their terminology.

Every time I see someone say something like "modern sporting rifle" or some other such, I cringe.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Stickfight

100%.

Correct, but so have the vast majority of all other news outlets. Preaching to the choir here, I know.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Is Alan Gottlieb of The Second Amendment Foundation part of this Jewish propaganda machine?
Does the fact that the American Cosa Nostra isn't made up of every ethnically Italian in America mean that the American Cosa Nostra isn't an ethnically Italian crime syndicate.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Spot on.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe that we are getting exactly what we were demanding. For the longest time we have been stomping our feet and yelling to the top of our lungs that AR-15 style rifle aren't "assault weapons" but are actually just semiautomatic rifles

Well we got our wish, now they are just coming after semiautomatic guns in general!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Including Remington 760s?

I can see it now, Wyoming Arms will be the first to market pump-action "AR-15s" with 30-round magazines.

Wizards do things like that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
Frankly, all the whining and screaming about how "it's not an assault rifle!!!!" has been detrimental. Instead of standing up for the Right to Bear Arms, no matter what they are called, the enemy has maneuvered us into a pointless argument about their terminology.

Every time I see someone say something like "modern sporting rifle" or some other such, I cringe.
I agree, I typed my post before I got to read your response. The Left is trying to use the "historical precedence" argument to their favor claiming there were no semiautomatic guns when the 2nd amendment was created. I think it's a very weak argument but every weak argument can become the strong truth if told enough to the right people.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Spot on.

Yes.

The 4th branch of govt at work.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is a clear reaction to the recent Supreme Court decision, Bruen, which held that only regulations that comport with historical regulation and practices in the US can be upheld.

They're trying to create a narrative that all semi auto weapons are relatively recent in history and were not intended to be protected by the Second Amendment. Next step will be to get an activist district court to uphold bans on semi autos based on this narrative, which will be upheld by a number of appeals courts (9th Circuit, for sure) as following the Bruen opinion.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2021 murders in USA
6k handguns of 72M
1k knives >>34M
447 rifles of 76M
243 clubs >>200M
152 shotguns of 64M

But rifles have political power.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.