Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Looking for opinions on the above rifle scopes that have actually used them. I had a 2.5-10 but never used it because there was not enough eye relief.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have two 2.5-10x32 Ultralights and use them all the time. They are great little scopes.

I had a 1-4x24 years ago when they just introduced it. I used for a couple of years, then gave it to a friend who needed a scope. To the best of my knowledge, it is still soldiering on. As I recall, I liked it a good bit back then.

ILya

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My first impression of the 1-4 is that it’s extremely clear, bright and sharp and built like a tank. The reticle is easy on my eyes and intuitive. It may not have as much eye relief as some scopes but it seems to be plenty …. for me anyway. The illuminated reticle goes dim enough to not overpower the eye in the dark and clear enough that even with my astigmatism I’m able to clearly distinguish the little illuminated dot inside the illuminated diamond.

I liked it enough that I removed the Athlon BTR 2-12 and mounted the 1-4 on my 35 Whelen. I had originally planned on putting it on one of my AR’s but it fit the Whelen package so well I decided to order another one for my AR and I’ll likely be getting at least one more. For the $200 sale price I don’t think there’s much that can compare to the features and quality for the price.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the 2-10 on Tikka 22LR. No complaints. Nice lightweight option. Eye relief is short though.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with Aces on the 1-4. Mine replaced a 1x prism on my Mini 14. At 1x it’s superior in every way to the prism, except for the added weight. The higher powers are a bonus. I have to crawl a tad for full view at 4x, but only a tad. Had it on my 10/22 CSC for a bit too. It was a good choice for general use there, but I want a few more Xs for shooting groups with that one, so a 6x is on the way.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have the 2.5-10 on a AR-15/223 and have no issues with eye relief. Small scope so it keeps the overall package small.

I have the 1-4 on a Ruger SFAR/308 and no issues with eye relief on that one either. I have that rifle set up for deer hunting and will be taking it out on a late season quota hunt.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Have 1-4 on a HK91. Holding up fine. Like Stick sez, leave it on 4x so the reticle makes sense. The illumination is very nice.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just put an SWFA 1-4x24 on an AR-15. I like the scope and it sighted in quickly. It would be nice if the illumination was really daylight bright, but for the $200 sale price I can hardly complain. It's a lot of scope for the money.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've limited experience with each of those so take this for what it's worth....

I think those two scopes are the least robust of SWFA's scopes.

My limited experience with the 2.5-10 resulted in broken internals while confirming zero on a .357 Max carbine. Scope adjusted correctly to zero. On final group to verify, the reticle turned sideways and the view became distorted...rattle inside of the tube. SWFA replaced it and I sold the replacement.

Another member had a 1-4 mounted on an AR. Rifle was propped up and slide sideways landing on the turret which compressed into the scope tube. This wasn't my scope and I can't remember the details or how SWFA handled it, just that sliding from standing on rifle's butt to floor resulted in the turret pushing into the tube....not a fall from height or hard abuse.

That said, I just received a 1-4 to play with. I won't throw the baby out with the bathwater but go into the use of it with knowledge of the stated.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My issue with a few 2.5-10's was that none of them would focus above 8 power

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Fotis

^^^^^

My experience also

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by Fotis

^^^^^

My experience also

On the one I used, from bottom to 8x required one focus setting, then I'd have to change the focus above 8x. I'm not sure if that's how all of them are.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Another member had a 1-4 mounted on an AR. Rifle was propped up and slide sideways landing on the turret which compressed into the scope tube. This wasn't my scope and I can't remember the details or how SWFA handled it, just that sliding from standing on rifle's butt to floor resulted in the turret pushing into the tube....not a fall from height or hard abuse.

Yeah, that was me. And it was the SWFA 1-4 just like we're talking about in this thread.

I had the (unloaded) AR leaning up against a book shelf in my study, butt down on the carpeted floor, and I should have known better. Bad practice and my fault. I was sitting about 6 feet away on a chair doing something else, and I was actually facing toward the rifle when I saw it slowly slide over to the left. Nothing touched or hit it. Like in slow motion. I nearly got to it but the AR fell on its side onto the right turret, which itself impacted the carpet.

Wish I'd taken a photo of the turret jammed down into the scope's tube, and if I hadn't seen the whole thing happen, I would have sworn my wife had snuck into the room and maliciously smacked it a couple of times, hard, with a ball peen hammer. (Which she would never do, of course, because she's sane, but what the hell?)

I contacted SWFA and fessed up to the whole thing. I just wanted to know if (a) they could repair it, and if so (b) how much? They said send it back and they'd contact me. They sent me a new scope. No questions asked and, also, no explanation as to how such a gentle blow could have done so much damage.

So I have a working SWFA 1-4 and it gets used, but I'll never trust it to be durable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 2.5-10 cost me a great blacktail. I haven't forgiven it yet.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think it's safe to say that the two subject scopes aren't SWFAs best work.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had one it sucked. Sold it and bought a Nightforce.

My sock puppet has a sock puppet!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I ever lose everything in a fire, the only scopes I'll buy will be Nightforce. I'll have fewer scopes, but way fewer headaches.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,221
Posts18,466,442
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.