46” oal
13 7/8 length of pull
26” barrel

O/U pros: simple to use
Safe, break the barrel when not in action
Dad can use it?
Con: 2 shots, sharper kick

SemiAuto: pro: softer recoil
The Franchi Catalyst has a stock specifically designed for a woman and includes a shim kit
4+1
Cons: more complex loading, safety, cleaning

The price is about the same
There are some pros and cons I am sure

What do you guys think?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If she's recoil sensitive I'd definitely go with the Franchi semiauto.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would avoid starting a youngster on a semi-auto for safety reasons.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 5 1/2 pound 20 gauge O/U can still thump pretty good especially with hunting loads .

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A young lady that size does not need a shotgun less than 6 pounds. A little weight will dampen recoil. Main thing is that the stock fits. Go to a skeet, trap or sporting clay tournament and look at the guns young ladies are shooting.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mtn,
I had the same question for my daughter, she’s 24 as of Thanksgiving day. I wrestled with this for approximately a year, she came up with a Remington 1100 in 410. She shot many a bird with the gun but I always noticed the gun was a bit heavy for her making the shouldering less smoothly than it should have been.
Just last week I ordered her a Beretta xplor 400 in 28ga, just under 6lbs with a built in kick-ez (factory production) I was going with a BENELLI in 28ga but the shop owner who sold both was steadfast on her enjoying the softness and agility of the Beretta. The o/u was the original front runner for both safety and handling, however she was a good student on safety and respect for others in the field, so it boiled down to comfort and semi autos win hands down in my book on this issue. Decent looking gun with above average wood, off color receiver I’m not crazy about but not ugly. The gun hasn’t arrived as of yet but should be in this week. She’ll receive for Christmas and hopefully will be happy and safer because she can control the size and weight correctly. Good luck with your decision.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That O/U in a 20 gauge is very likely to sour her on shooting, as the recoil will be stiff.

Of the two, I’d much prefer the Franchi, but even them have misgivings. The inertia powered guns don’t recoil quite as much as fixed breech guns, but they are still pretty snappy.

Ideal would be a gas powered semi auto in 20 or 28 gauge, but any in the market just now would require some custom work to get the fit close. In the course of many years of instruction, I have fitted up women who physically would be very close to your daughter’s dimensions.

This generally involves shortening the stock, a bit more down pitch, raising the comb.

Another big point. Make this her gun, as if it fits you, it will be miserable for her.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jimdgc
A young lady that size does not need a shotgun less than 6 pounds. A little weight will dampen recoil. Main thing is that the stock fits. Go to a skeet, trap or sporting clay tournament and look at the guns young ladies are shooting.

How will he know the gun fits? You may be surprised to find out that most girls at skeet, trap and sporting clay tournaments, are shooting 8 pound shotguns, because of the cumulative recoil of often over 100 shots in a day. And not infrequently they will be O/U's made by Krieghoff, Perazzi and Beretta. Shotguns in the 11K price range. What most don't understand is it takes more than a specific shotgun to introduce the young....or old....in using a shotgun.

Last edited by battue; 11/27/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
MtnT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Lots of great advice, thank you
This will not be her first shotgun, she started with a single shot
Then to a youth 870 20g, the 870 seems to have issues feeding and so on
So that is why I thought to go simple with an o/u
But she brought up recoil…

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recommend the Winchester SX4 for a reason. It's a solid, reliable, simple, gas operated shotgun. It doesn't break the bank, either. Inertia guns are easier to clean, but the SX4 literally only takes moments longer. In 12 gauge, it sucks up a lot of felt recoil. There is a significant difference between my Winchester SX4 and Browning A5 inertia gun in terms of felt recoil when shooting the same loads. In 20 gauge, my SX4 is a joy to shoot. Even with heavy (for 20 gauge) turkey loads, it's a softy. It's made by Browning in the same Browning factory that produces Browning's other semi-autos. It has an adjustable stock. You can get shorter compact models if that's the way it needs to go. It takes Browning Invector Plus choke tubes.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/super-x4/current/sx4-compact.html

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/27/22.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a used winchester model 50 will do the trick. google one. will last 10 lifetimes for 1/2 the cost of those imports.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A Remington 1100 28 gauge or 20 gauge, has been the answer for thousands of fathers before and will be for thousand more not yet born.

Whatever you do please don't give a 90 pound recoil sensitive child a 5.7lb O/U. Even 7/8oz loads will be brutal.

First shotgun is like a first car, lets get through this phase and later on pick something more appropriate.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnT
...This will not be her first shotgun, she started with a single shot...
she brought up recoil…

Good info. How about a 28-gage? Either SXS or over/under.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I am one of the coaches on a 4-H shooting team and have learned a lot about helping kids get on target. We have found that gas operated shotguns are by far the most effective at getting kids started. Once they get the fundamentals mastered, you can introduce other designs. The gas guns help keep their cheek on the stock throughout practice. For whatever reason, the Remington 1100/1187 system has worked best for us. We have had success with Winchesters and Berettas as well, but the Remingtons always seem to get the kids on target a bit better. We really are not sure why, and it has become sort of an inside joke among us coaches. We have pit the various designs and brands against each other many times, and continue to get a consistent result. More advanced youth are a whole nother ball game, where fixed breech guns become an often preferred option. My son shoots and hunts with Remington gas guns. He has other options, but shoots Remingtons based on past success, familiarity, and confidence level. I do expect that he may move on to a O/U as he progresses. We shall see....

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
If she’d 13 and still growing this will not be her lifetime shotgun. I guess it could be if restocking it later is an option. Whatever you get her, you will not be using it. It won’t fit you. She’s already telling you that recoil is an issue. Light guns kick, even light gas autoloaders. They won’t function with very light loads so the recoil advantage of the auto is lost. A 26in O/U with a shortened stock will do fine. Look at the used market and plan on spending enough to get a quality gun. It will hold its value. Get light kicking ammo. Franchi light traininer 20ga or Win Feathers to be specific. If recoil’s still a problem, and it might be, then consider 410 tubes for short range practice. Keep initial shooting sessions short and bring snacks. Enjoy the time together. She’ll be grown in a blink.

M
MtnT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
OK, hot off the press: my neighbor had 2 girls that are grown and gone, I just texted him, he set them up with an 1100 youth, the barrel is a fixed I/C. he said I could borrow it/ have it whatever. I am going to swing by and we are going to check the gun safe to see if it is still there (he can't remember if he might of sold it) and we will go from there. there is a place in N Carolina that sells female fit 1100 stocks, maybe this could all come together.

you guys have me convinced to go with a gas semi auto

We have been using Fiocchi 20g 3/4oz 1100fps trainers with her to date. She has just chased wild quail so far, except for one shot, 3" shell, (all she needed lol) at ducks

we are going for Pheasant at the end of the month and she needs a bit more umpf for those I think

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Shotgun savvy neighbors, who are willing to share, are to be appreciated.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I think the 1100 is a good place to start. They are fairly simple to keep running and if one needs parts, they are easily and cheaply found. They are also pretty soft shooting and, as mentioned, people seem to shoot them well when starting out. A light O/U or even recoil/inertia operated is going to kick a fair bit and your daughter has already mentioned this as something she wishes to lessen.

The 1100 is very easy to adjust to women also. I learned from the Remington Shooting School (before it combined with Orvis) was the small framed 20 ga guns could be fitted with the 742/7400 stock meant for their semi-auto rifles. (The 760 stocks can be used on the small frame 870s) These have a higher comb which women tend to need plus a little shorter length of pull though they don't have a recoil pad which would negate the shorter LOP. That isn't a problem as removing wood, from either or both the comb and butt is easier than adding.

If one is using the old pre-1977 standard frame 20 ga which uses the larger 12 ga frame one can sub in a trap stock for much the same purpose. I did this with both my large frame 20s with good results.

Getting a rough general Fitting isn't rocket science but it isn't the easiest to do on one's own the first time. Hiring a certified shooting instructor should get you started in the right direction and he should be able to recommend a competent fitter, hopefully locally. There are a number of books one can read to get the gist but having someone experienced do the first one helps connect the dots quicker.

M
MtnT Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I did pick up the shotgun. Tiny stock. LT20 is the model
That afternoon, when I was doing that my son shot an elk and was out til midnight helping him
then until noon again today
So.... I haven't even really looked at it, now I am at work
I have a 7400, I will look at the stocks side by side

Thanks again for the tips guys

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great choice. My daughters learned on an 11-87 20 gauge Youth model. You won't regret it. And you can always pick up a full-sized stock if needed.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,271
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.